Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010

skinsail is on a distinguished road
Sleeping berth length

Hello!
I am in the market for a cruising sailboat, between 20-30 ft LOA. Having crewed for many freinds over the years, I am aware that most of the sleeping berths do not accomodate someone who is my height (6'3"). Can anyone give me some guidance on where to find dimensions of the berth lengths of the vessels I might conside buying? Or recommend vessels that I might find suitable?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2010

freshsail is on a distinguished road
vertical challenge

I don't know what it is with sailboat designers, but the vast majority of them were not over 6'...........

I'm 6'5" and when searching for boats I had not had the opportunity to visit, I resorted to posting inquiries on the maker's forums. Often an owner would know or would even go take a measurement for me. There's several maker's out there but finding one with your particular set of size and sailing requirements can be a challenge.
Old 04-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Part of the issue is that people have been getting taller on average, and on older boats, when the average height was less, the berths and headroom are much shorter.

Not many specifications post the length of the berths, but IMHO, having a berth you can sleep in comfortably is more important than having standing headroom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2010
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
Well My Catalina 30 has 6'3".....

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 04-08-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Jeeze, I hate to admit it!

I agree with the Dog. My boat has a very roomy master berth and I can only stand up straight below decks as far forward as mid cabin. After that I'm bending over a bit and until I got used to it I hit my head many times on the passage way frame forward of the main cabin and just prior to the head and the vee berth. But I wouldn't trade her for anything cause she is beautiful and I sleep well.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 04-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dwayne's just afraid to admit he's a knuckle dragger aboard his own boat.

I hope you wear a hat Dwayne, since that will help pad any impacts to the noggin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
I agree with the Dog. My boat has a very roomy master berth and I can only stand up straight below decks as far forward as mid cabin. After that I'm bending over a bit and until I got used to it I hit my head many times on the passage way frame forward of the main cabin and just prior to the head and the vee berth. But I wouldn't trade her for anything cause she is beautiful and I sleep well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
The key is to get really seasick and curl up in a ball on the floor just above the bilge. This is the best position for really big people.
Old 04-09-2010

meuritt is on a distinguished road
We are both 6' and over and gave up on smaller boats. With a boat 37', we can stand up everywhere, but still have to sleep separate berths.

In the book from the old Rudder magazine, "A Treasury of Rudder" the author of one article tells home builders to always make berths 6'6" so accommodate the crew member and their gear. He also said it would improve the boat's resale value. I wish more builders took that advice.
Old 04-09-2010

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Make sure you add the length of your foot to your height, because when you are lying down your feet are not vertical to your body. Although the feet will lie with some degrees to your body, you will need the difference to be comfortable not touching both ends of the berth.