Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Pirates....in Sydney Harbour no less.

OK, Easter break comes along. We load up the Womboat with the usual oversupply of food, booze and books and head out.

We were a tad late getting away on Friday so we anchored in one of our favourite spots intending to head up the coast Saturday. Bucketed down with rain on Friday night, still wet and gloomy Saturday morning and forecast suggested more rain on the way.

OK, so call me a sook if you will but when faced with the choice of a wet ride up the coast or a quiet weekend , warm and dry with plenty to read and the Wombet for company, well I'll take the soft option anyday and so we stayed put.

Saturday morning......pre dawn.....I'm awake, thinking about getting up to make a cup of tea but its warm and cosy so I'm putting off the fateful moment.

Clunk.

Wombet "Stupid dinghy" Snuggles back down again.

Wombat "mmmm.....oi...sound of coin dropping.....wait a second....didn't we leave the dinghy back on the mooring ? "

All together now "what the fluck was that then ? "

Now I am not a brave man. Didn't I mention 'sook' earlier on ? Nonetheless it appears my legs are braver than the rest of me cos in a flash the buggers had me out of bed and heading up the companionway.

There, alongside, with one of them already halfway onto Raven were a couple of would be Capts Kidd in a small tinny.

I shouted, our boarder nearly fell overboard but he managed to scramble back into their boat and away they rowed. No way to chase them , no way to identify them as they were wearing hooded windcheaters and they made damned sure they kept their faces well hidden. Rowed back to shore, dumped the purloined tinny, exited stage left.

Water Police came round but there was no way they could have arrived in time to catch the flecking scroats though they did have a cursory look about with searchlight. Their vessel was not shallow enough draft to get in close to shore.

Daybreak arrives, stolen dinghy is adrift in the bay. We rang Maritime and they send round a boat to pick it up. Given that it had been sitting on the beach without being chained to anything I suspect it had been stolen previously and dumped. I can think of no other reason why anyone would leave a newish tinny on an accessible beach , with oars, where it was simply asking to be stolen.

Conclusion ? I reckon a couple of local scroats, seeing an obvious opportunity nicked the tinny and thinking Raven was unattended thought they might be able to lift the odd bit of equipment. There was no fight in them. As soon as I gave them an "Oi !! Just what do you think you're about then ? " they scarpered right smartly. Now maybe they couldn't see me all that clearly but it must be admitted that the sight of a semi naked Fuzzball is not the most intimidating sight the world has ever seen. Disturbing, perhaps, but intimidating I think not. Ergo, I have to think they did think Raven unattended. The anchorage had only two boats in it at the time, one of which was indeed unmanned and has been for some months. Maybe the knobheads simply got the wrong boat.

Forty years, man, boy and rodent, I've played around on Sydney Harbour. Never , ever, have I slept on board with the hatches closed and in all that time the worse thing that has happened was having an outboard nicked after I stupidly left it on the stern rail when we went home one evening and a dinghy stolen from off our mooring before we had a chain.

OK so it was probably a case of 'opportunity knocking' but even so a worrying event and I guess some kind of early warning system may be required. Not sure what to do about that. Guns are out. Wombats are all peace love happiness man.

Then again...

Man-mauling wombat felled by axe

Hidden depths peoples, hidden depths.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-08-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, most thieves are stupid and opportunists...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Typical New South Welshmen.

Not like us honest Victorians.

Let's not mention those bl--dy Queenslanders who nearly always knock off my crab pots when I am up that way.
Old 04-08-2010
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Prime example on the speed and reliability of the local constabulary. (Not just yours BTW) Good thing they were only out to rob you. (or not.) Who knows how desperate they were eh? A good argument for gun control..........(whistles in the dark)

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money can’t buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 04-08-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
[...tells us a story about, I think, hoodlums trying to sneak aboard his boat]
I thought I understood people from down under, but I think I need a translator

What's a "sook"?

(more seriously, neat story! Probably a bit scary at the time. I do have to admit that if someone ever yelled "Oi! what's all this then?" at me, I'd whip out a phone book and ask them to read it to me in that faboo accent of theirs. Then again, I don't habitually sneak aboard boats at night.)

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 04-08-2010

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Hopefully you scared them enough they had to change their drawers! Could be why they ditched the tinny so fast...

Makes me wonder if anyone makes a good alarm system for boats.

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 04-09-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
well can you really blame them, trying to see the wombat in its natural environment was just too much to resist
Old 04-09-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Funny re-telling of what I am sure was an scary event at the time. I had more then a few good laughs.
Old 04-09-2010

jepomer is on a distinguished road
sook 1 |soōk; sək|
noun
a female crab.
ORIGIN 1950s: of unknown origin.

sook 2
noun informal chiefly Austral./NZ Canadian
a person lacking spirit or self-confidence; a coward.
• a hand-reared calf.
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: dialect variant of the noun suck
Old 04-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Everyone knows that wombats are fuzzy, easily scared and vegetarian... not exactly the most ferocious of beasties...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.