Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not if the boat is less than 27' LOA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleeboy View Post
I always thought BOAT dollars were $1000. You know... Bust Out Another Thousand.

Its a grand way to go broke
michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
$1000 is a boat buck. That's why marine products are 1000x as expensive as their lubberly counterparts.

I have to agree about the less than 27' thing. My boat is a 26'.

Look at some of these figures:

Complete Repower: $1800 and 1 hour labor.
New Mainsail: $1000
New rigging wire: $200
Varnish brightwork: $30

Haulouts are cheaper, laydays, moorage, fuel...

Yea I don't think I need a boat 2' longer. Being able to stand up, and still save money, is a good combo.

Last edited by tager; 04-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i didn't sail much last summer because i was taking care of my wife. i figured it at $200 a trip, but it was still nice to get out once in a while. i suppose it will be the same this summer. you have to have a break once in a while to wind down.
Old 04-08-2010

mhfowle is on a distinguished road
My boats have always been investments. Sure I spent $10000 on my boat, but I've had $12,000 worth of fun on it and I've only had it 4 yrs. I once heard "boats are only expensive if you dont use them."
Old 04-09-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I quickly realized right after I bought my first boat that this was getting expensive. That was until I took it out for the first time This site has in interesting comparison with other activities and boat ownership, you will be surprised at the results.

Boating Education: How to Buy a Boat on a Budget

That site has other info regarding the costs of owning a boat. I am not sure it is referring to sailboats. Even if its not, motorboats are more expensive to take out because of the gas. I want to think maintenance is more on a sailboat then a motor boat. On the same lines, if one is to add up the huge gas costs of taking a motorboat out, in the end its all nearly the same. A sailboat running a 6hp (.5 gal an hr) outboard just to go in and out the dock compared to a 140hp (15.3 gal an hr!) outboard is substantial. Checkout Nissan's chart here...

Nissan Marine Outboards - Authorized Distributor Offering Boat Motor Products, Technical Information, & Dealer Locations for the U.S. & Canada."

So I still wonder, in the end what is more expensive to own? Say the sailboat and motorboat are both 22ft for example. I would say in this example, the sailboat is cheaper. On the other hand, I like to think a larger sailboat, say 27ft may end up costing the same as a 22ft motorboat in the end. Since the bigger sailboats are more expensive on maintenance. I hope to hear what others think about this. I know very little about the sailboats and their maintenance, so my thoughts could be far off. I know I will soon learn pretty quick about the costs involved to maintain a sailboat Good thing mine is such a beauty but I want to be sure she stays that way. At last, the fun in it will far out weight the costs involved, at least for me it will.