Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoc View Post
If I get sea sickness and I want to go on a month long sailing expedition what can I do? Will my body adjust after a few days? I know there are medications you can take but will they still be effective the whole time I am out at sea?
I have some family and friends which come sailing with me from time to time, only on afternoon sails, no long month expeditions. They have used some meds, I don't remember the exact name of them but I do know it worked for them. If I find out what they were I will post the name here.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."

Last edited by sailguy40; 06-25-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Bonine is just one of the many brand names of meclizine, aka Cyclizine, aka Antivert, Bonine, Meni-D, Antrizine, Dramamine II. (I think Dramamine and Bonine were two different drugs back in the 80's but one was changed and they're the same now.)

Like most of those meds, it works great for 1/3 of the people who take it. Since it isn't an rx-med, it makes a good "maybe this will help" choice for day guests. But like all seasick meds--it works best if you take it a good hour before leaving the dock!
Old 06-25-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=hellosailor;616842]Bonine is just one of the many brand names of meclizine, aka Cyclizine, aka Antivert, Bonine, Meni-D, Antrizine, Dramamine II. (I think Dramamine and Bonine were two different drugs back in the 80's but one was changed and they're the same now.)

Dramamine II and Bonine are both meclizine, the original Dramamine is dimenhydrinate. My wife and daughter both suffer from mild seasickness at the beginning of a voyage and both prefer the generic meclizine to Dramamine because it has milder side effects, "Milder" being the operative word because they both cause varying degrees of drowsiness.

I am a sympathetic sufferer myself. I almost always feel just a little off when I'm worried about the comfort of others on board.
Old 06-25-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, SJ. Is Dramamine available in two "flavors" these days? Or was the original replaced by the D-II ? (Not that I like either, I'm happier with real drugs.)
Old 06-25-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I've found that starting the med that works best for you a day or two before departing seems to help the newer crew. If I find you're got the "mal der mere", and you're not feeding the fish over the lee rail, I'll put you on the wheel. It seems to work, possibly because you have to concentrate on the job or because you're looking at the waves coming and may get some idea of what the boat's going to do.

One suggestion is that some folks find that the meds are too strong. Folks will cut those patches in half, put them elsewhere on their body, cut pills in half, or wear multiple remedies. I never kid or ridicule the wearer; what works for you works for you and may not for me. The strength, location, and brand should be know before departing the dock.

If you do get sick, then it's important to keep hydrated. Some folks find that ginger snaps or flat soda or ginger chews help.

And I've heard and read of folks that are sick for the entire voyage. To do that shows real commitment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oceanscapt; 06-25-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
HelloSailor, Dramamine is still available in the "Extra Drowsy" as well as the "New and Improved" formula. Personally, the side affects are worse than being queasy.

Oceanscapt, do you find that keeping crew occupied helps? I think that my wifes symptoms are partly psychological and keeping her busy might help.
She never got sick until we got caught out in a couple of nasty storms a few years ago then didn't "Get back on the Horse" for a while.
Old 07-23-2010
S/V Sabbatical

Snboard976 is on a distinguished road
I just wrote about Transderm SCOP on my blog. I had been using Dramamine for years, but I am a convert. I could do things with the Scopolamine that would have made me incredibly sea sick. Dramamine, even the less drowsy version makes me too tired to do anything.
s/v Sabbatical Pearson 365 Hull #32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2010

oaklandsailor is on a distinguished road
I must have lucked out, at least as regards Bonine. I sailed from SF Bay to San Diego and back some years ago and took a Bonine around 12 hours before pushing off. Within a few hours I was completely at ease with no symptoms of any kind and was down below cooking, reading, talking with other crew not on watch while the boat made way in blue water that was not flat calm by any means. It was fantastic and I had no problems with drowsiness. Many years ago on a race to Monterey Bay from SF I tried the Scopolamine patch and felt a very unpleasant skin irritation. Admittedly, I waited until pushing off before applying it but when things got more serious out in open water I wound up tossing everything for the last two weeks and had to crawl into a bunk to sleep for some hours before taking my place in the cockpit. We're all different and my only experience suggests that one should try a med long before actually needing it since it's much better to feel crappy at home than at the helm.

OS
Old 07-25-2010

"took a Bonine around 12 hours before pushing off."
A brand of Meclizine. I never realized they claimed it will last 24 hours per dose!
Scop is a much more serious drug, and very few people including pharmacists and doctors are aware that it is back on the market in pill form under the brand name "Scopace". Which gives you the option of adjusting dosing and eliminates the pesky skin patch problems. Very much a drug that you need to read the notes on, and try out on land to make sure the contraindictions (like going psychotic and having a heart attack) don't hit you at sea.
But when it works, all you can say is "DRUGS!" with a big smile.
Old 07-25-2010

oaklandsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"took a Bonine around 12 hours before pushing off."
A brand of Meclizine. I never realized they claimed it will last 24 hours per dose!
Scop is a much more serious drug, and very few people including pharmacists and doctors are aware that it is back on the market in pill form under the brand name "Scopace". Which gives you the option of adjusting dosing and eliminates the pesky skin patch problems. Very much a drug that you need to read the notes on, and try out on land to make sure the contraindictions (like going psychotic and having a heart attack) don't hit you at sea.
But when it works, all you can say is "DRUGS!" with a big smile.
Interesting about the Scopace. About the Bonine, I took one tablet each 24 hours and I was fine, aside from a morning coming back to SF in rough water when I'd just eaten a enormous breakfast of eggs, pancakes, ham, toast, 3 cops of coffee....well, you get the idea. Honestly, on my next voyage I'll start out the first three days or so with Bonine or maybe the Scope' and then discontinue altogether and go from there.

OS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.