Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Cruising couple looses dinghy and are separated in storm...

Here is a self-account of a couple who got separated (one in the dinghy and one in the yacht) in the sea of cortez. Apparently it happened while trying to retrieve a dinghy being towed.

(I HATE towing dinghys)

From the tone of the account it sounds like they are both writing soon enough after that the adrenalin is still flowing. The guy doesn't seem to understand (in this post) just how close to fish-food he came. I wonder also if his poor wife who had to drive away and leave him for dead is going to have PTSD? As always, glad everything turned out okay.

The Rescue | Lucky Fish

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
So, lets skip past the choice to tow the dinghy. What would be some reasonable ideas for fetching that critter in those seas (safely).

Would it be crazy-dangerous to tether yourself to mothership with a long line and go in the water to re-tie the dinghy?

Maybe bring a ditch-bag with you as you leap to the dinghy?
Old 04-15-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
In 15' to 20' seas i think not that would be given a rescue swimmer a beatdown

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wonder how they were towing the dinghy. Were they using a bridle? Were they using polypropylene line? There are a lot of details missing. The guy is very lucky not to have earned a Darwin. A dinghy isn't worth your life.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
So, lemme try to get this straight;

This guy and his significant other are in their sailboat in 15 foot seas when the tender breaks loose. He notices it in time to turn around and go back to retrieve it.

Somehow, he manages to jump into* his tender and start the motor while his SO tends the helm of the sailboat. She maintains course and speed.

He is trying to keep up with her when a wave flips him. She maintains course and speed.

After a while she decides to look back, but the tender is out of sight. She maintains course and speed, but she does call for help.

Did I miss something, or does anyone else here read this the same as me?

* I have a simple rule about jumping when I am in charge of a boat - DON'T
Old 04-15-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
I can see that happening when such situations are not considered before hand.

It is an example of why at min the deck monkey wears a PFD, which has pockets (with stuff). It would have been very different if he had a radio and flares.

Then again it is a stinkin' dink, let it go.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-15-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Would it be crazy-dangerous to tether yourself to mothership with a long line and go in the water to re-tie the dinghy?
If my rescue diver with the Navy brother in-law suggested it I might say yes but other wise that line can get wrapped around limbs all too easily. Also if it does get wrapped around a leg will those left on the boat haul you aboard while it slices into you?

I think it can work but not worth the risk. Lose the dinghy and mark it up to lesson learned about towing.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-16-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Of course hindsight is 20/20, but I think I would have let it go and been glad that was the only loss. I don't see myself leaving my wife alone in those conditions to go after a dinghy.

Old 04-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another question is why were they TOWING a dinghy in those conditions???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2010
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
With that much sea running, wondering just how he planned to get back aboard if he did get the dink tied off.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.