Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road
Hull #, can it start with 101?

Hello All, and I'm sorry if this has been discussed earlier, could not find info.

Anyone is aware if some boat manufacturers start their Hull Series with 101 instead of 1?

Specifically, I'm refering to the Aloha 34. Is hull 101 the first one? I've seen a 1975 Hull 101 according to owner. Production of this boat started in 1975, and you can see 1981 with Hull # such as 140. It would be impossible to construct 100 boats on first year of production.

So, is it possible that Hull start #101 instead of #1?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The hull numbers can be started with what ever the manufactor desires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 04-18-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Are you sure it says 101? aloha 34's also went by 10.4, is it possible it's a .4 and not 1

Alohas were built by Whitby so they would start with QWH, WBW or ZWB but they wouldn't start with a number, it could be something like WBW10.4******** or whatever

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-19-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Aloha built a nice boat -- we looked at a couple of 'em when we were shopping. They were outside of our budget at the time.
I know that other makers started their number sequence with 101 for hull #1 commonly.
I have an Ericson Yachts-constructed boat and my HIN sez it is #108, when in fact it is hull #8 of 39 total that were built.

Exactly why they chose to do this is open to speculation.

Best,
L
Old 04-19-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I have an ericson 39b #204 the 5th built the last was 219, total made was 20. I think the sail number 204 looks better than the single number 4.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the Telstar 28's started at hull #301, to account for the approximately 300 Telstar 26s that were previously built.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-29-2010
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for the replies

It's confirmed! I purchased Hull #101, first production Aloha 34

I was to purchase the boat anyway, but just the fact that it's the first hull makes her feel more special!

They are finishing the deck paint now, interior undergoing restoration

Entire new Rigging with a furlex, engine rebuilt, she sails well and smooth

I'm a happy cat now

Thanks to the help of Perry, from the Aloha 34 network.

Quote:
Ouyang Boat Works, later to become Aloha Yachts and later Aloha Yachts International made a couple of preproduction Aloha 34’s. These boats had plywood interiors and were used for cabinet patterns and mold tests. The first production boats for sale were made simultaneously in 1975 as Hull 101 and 102. Hull 101was made for the Toronto Boat Show and Hull 102 was made for the Vancouver Boat Show. Hull 102 was fitted with a Faryman diesel engine. I’m not sure what was fitted in Hull 101. This would make your boat the first production boat made! I also saw it advertised on the internet as the “first one made” with links to the Aloha 34 International Owners’ Network website.

Hull 102 is owned by a couple in Campbell River, British Columbia, --name removed--. They are also members of the Aloha 34 International Owners’ Network. There vessel has undergone extensive modification and has sailed offshore extensively.

Last edited by Guero; 04-29-2010 at 01:00 PM.