Would you cross the Pacific to Australia in a Morgan North American 40? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010

Dennisail is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input Simon. I am glad to hear from you. I was looking at the prices to get radar chart plotter etc, was around 4K. What kind of water maker do you suggest and how much do they cost? Rather expensive I guess? I don't like to sail directly down wind anyway. I don't think it would be much quicker than sailing slightly off course at an angle in any case. I wouldn't push my luck with the spinnaker. That can wait until I am in the safe waters of Moreton bay.

I see you are in Brisbane. I think I need to shout you a beer.

As for washing up with fresh water, I am used to sailing small, and/or dilapidated craft so fresh water is only for drinking. I can save it well.

Last edited by Dennisail; 04-21-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
If anyone has mentioned the batteries then this post is probably superfluous.

I sailed a new-to-me Morgan 44 from California to New Zealand and had a decent house bank and a decent start bank when I left (or so I thought). They all went into the bin in NZ and we had endless problems at sea without electricity for a fair deal of the way.

One house battery and one start battery? Sailing across an ocean with that is definitely going to be something you will regret big time. Stock up on decent quality, decent sized new batteries.

And I'll also issue a warning about water in the Marquesas and go one further - don't even drink anything in Marquesas that is made with local water, not coffee, not tea - all (both) supermarkets in Nuku Hiva sell Evian bottled water for good prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-21-2010

Dennisail is on a distinguished road
I would install 4 new house batteries for sure.
Old 04-21-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I had 80 gals of fuel and carried an extra 30, you will only need this extra fuel until the Marquesas as from this point good fuel is available at a price. Water is an issue so fit a good water maker as the only good water is available from Tahiti and major centres west. DO NOT TAKE ON WATER IN THE MARQUESAS.
So how much fuel did you use getting to the Marquesas Simon? Your tanks hold much more fuel than the Morgan NA-40 (which shows less than 30 gallon capacity); so how much fuel tankage or jugs should he bring?

Quote:
I tended to rely on the headsail and kept a third reef in the main for most of the trip.
That makes sense... Only make the main larger if you need it and use the headsail for most of your power which you can easily reef or furl if heavy weather approaches.

You will need to check and make sure that the furler can handle reefing; find out what the model is and contact pro-furl or ask for documentation from the owner. In terms of dropping a headsail on a roller furling system the headsail must be fully un-furled then you just release the halyard and drop the sail down onto the deck. The sail engages a track (called a foil) and when you drop it down the luff tape comes out of the groove and is free of the headstay. This is easier to do in light winds; but can be more difficult to rig if you are in heavy wind and seas than attaching a hank-on sail. You can't easily drop/hoist a sail that has a luff tape unless you are head to wind; so that can be an issue if you need to change sails in heavy seas. For these reasons I suggest that your cruising headsail be heavily constructed to minimize the need to change it and make sure the furler is capable of reefing so you can adjust the sail area (or furl completely) easily.

Some other things to consider are the age of the standing (and running) rigging; which could be costly to replace if it was not refit recently. I would avoid rod rigging unless it is relatively new and there are receipts to prove it. You don't want to lose a shroud, halyard, or the mast while you are on passage.

To go via Marquesas/French Polynesia you will need to provide a deposit for emergency travel out should your boat sink. How much was that per-person Simon? It's refundable; but you need to be sure you have enough cash (or credit?) available to provide to the government when you check in.

So to make the boat ready you might be looking at:

Solar Panels and Charge Controller
Wind Generator or Tow Generator
Watermaker and spare filters
Windvane
Radar/Plotter Upgrade
SSB/pactor modem
Batteries
Battery Monitor
Extra tankage
Cruising Sails
Standing & Running Rigging, Chainplates, Lifelines (negotiated into purchase price)
Liferaft
EPIRB
Spare engine parts (belts, hoses, impeller, zincs, heat exchanger, filters, gaskets)
A good survey of the boat before you buy; and several other boats to look at before you come to USA to buy.
Old 04-21-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I think I used about 40 Gal to the Marquesas thats your last fuel until Tahiti, if you spend some time around the Tuomotos fuel is hard to find.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-21-2010

kevlarpirate is on a distinguished road
SimonV

I own one of the 21 Ericson 46's built. Monster of a boat. love her...
actually it's a he
Old 04-21-2010
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
No one mentioned the diesel Pathfinder engine. Rebuilt or not, these engines do not have a good track record. They are a marinized VW diesel Rabbit engine. I have yet to hear one mechanic say a kind word about them.

They are somewhat famous for blowing head gaskets and overheating. When we looked to buy a boat, one that I was very interested in had this engine. The local mechanic who had serviced a lot of them over the years just rolled his eyes and said figure on a repower or get used to the idea of blown head gaskets.

The logbook of boat showed 3 head gasket replacements. Amazingly someone removed another brand of engine to repower with the Pathfinder.

michael

Last edited by doubleeboy; 04-21-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, what kind of boat is this:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2010

wunhunglo is on a distinguished road
Trimaran

Looks a bit like a modified coachroof on a Piver designed tri hull.

Edit: CruisingDad, I don't have a problem with the functionality of furling a headsail completely. They clearly work for that purpose. I replaced an evil Profurl that had nothing but issues, with a Furlex that was incredibly robust and smooth operating, however no matter how good the headsail furler/reefer has been, I have yet to see a reefed jib that isn't an ugly bag when trying to go to windward.... (and yes I know that gentlemen and cruisers avoid going to windward !! LOL )

Last edited by wunhunglo; 04-21-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It does... but was curious if he knew...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunhunglo View Post
Looks a bit like a modified coachroof on a Piver designed tri hull.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.