Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Days Sailing

Posting this on a few boards looking for an average.

Attempting to justify my passion with my checkboo. Something that is usually impossible to do.

I have averaged about 30 days of sailing over the last 3 years. Those sails were as short as 2 hours and as long as 18 hour days. Boat and I are in northern Michigan so season in mid May to mid October. I spend at least as many days working on the boat, but my passion is for the sailing and not the work.

My Question: How many days do you sail in an average year, and how long is the season where you live? Not days under the boat. Not dinner on the boat. Not cleaning,sleeping, drinking, entertaining in the slip or on the hook. Actual days that you SAIL in a given year! 2 hours qualifies as does a crossing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post

Attempting to justify my passion with my checkboo. Something that is usually impossible to do.

I have averaged about 30 days of sailing over the last 3 years. Those sails were as short as 2 hours and as long as 18 hour days. Boat and I are in northern Michigan so season in mid May to mid October. I spend at least as many days working on the boat, but my passion is for the sailing and not the work.

My Question: How many days do you sail in an average year, and how long is the season where you live? Not days under the boat. Not dinner on the boat. Not cleaning,sleeping, drinking, entertaining in the slip or on the hook. Actual days that you SAIL in a given year! 2 hours qualifies as does a crossing.
May through October, and I sail about 100 days per year.
Old 04-20-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
Over the last 8 years I had between 100 and 140 days a year but I was working a significant portion of the time.
Old 04-20-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
sw - that's amazing, we're fulltime liveaboard cruising and we don't get more than 100-140 days/year! You are a dedicated sailor!
Old 04-20-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Not enough!

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
sw - that's amazing, we're fulltime liveaboard cruising and we don't get more than 100-140 days/year! You are a dedicated sailor!
I try to make sure to always get in at least 3 days a week:

1 day practice
1 day racing
1 or more days to just sail and have fun.

Plus a couple short cruises over the summer.

I definitely would like to get out there and do what you are doing. The two things that have kept me from it so far are teenagers and racing. I love cruising, but I still have a pretty big racing bug.
Old 04-20-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I don't get out as much. If I looked at how much it costs per hour of sailing, it would probably not be a pretty sight. However, I think of this as a whole. For the amount of money we are spending per year, is sailing worth having in our lives? Yes!
Old 04-20-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Maybe 50 at the most. I can sail year round and would be out WAY more - but there's the whole family thing. I'm ON the boat, working, etc. a couple of times a week - and I enjoy that quite a bit too.

That's why CD's trip report is so freakin' inspiring (as is Eryka's). Out livin' it yo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-20-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post

I can love something that I do once a year just as much as something I do every day.

It doesn't matter what other people do, what bridges they walk off, or what rewards they get.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

Old 04-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
April thorugh December 15- between 120-140

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner