Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010

labestia is on a distinguished road
Motor Sailing to weather

Assuming that we’re motor-sailing @ 5-6 knots @ 25deg to the wind in 20 to 25 knots of wind with 30knots gusts, 8-10+ foot seas, getting wet every minute and pounding like crazy.

How much can the ride improve if we continue motor-sailing but @ 45degrees to the wind @ the same speed and conditions?

Can the ride get “comfortable” with this change in angle?

I know that this will depend a lot on the type and size of the vessel but generally speaking…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by labestia; 04-20-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Error in context
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If it's that windy at 45 deg you should be able to sail it and shut the engine off, and pretty much do the same speed or better.. IMO the ride will improve too...but you'll be heeling more which may not be great for the engine if you're still motorsailing - I know I avoid running at any significant heel if the motor's on.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
What sails do you have up? Reefed main? What sized jib?

Are you beating, or just trying to hold that angle on one tack until whenever?

"Generally speaking" 25 degrees will have both sails inverted along the luff, and with a jib you'll risk getting caught aback if you head up too far. Also, you'll beat up your sailcloth a lot with all that luffing. But the sails will dampen the roll, and help your engine along a little.

45 degrees will keep your sails "asleep", dampen the roll more, and make her a little easier to steer. Probably more comfortable depending on your bow geometry and the particular boat design. But more real estate to cover if you're beating.

And this doesn't answer which speed thru water is going to get you to ride the best, again that's design, and wave-period dependent.

Oh, and as Faster said, you have to be careful that your cooling water intake, and prop, remain submerged. Otherwise, just bear off and sail her. And be careful, if your fuel tank's like most, there's some gunk and junk at the bottom, and motoring in a real rough sea can shake it up into the fuel line, and thence to your engine/filters/injectors/carb. Now you don't have an engine, and it's too lumpy out to fix it safely.

Last edited by nolatom; 04-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
My previous heavy weather motor sailing experience was under main sail only, on a Catalina 27 with a 9.9 HP o/b. That went well, and our ride was definitely smoother.

We haven't tried it on the new boat, but I appreciate Faster's advice about heeling when it comes to the engine. Another part of the inboard learning curve.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It does depend on the engine, some have oil systems that are designed to acccomodate heeling to a degree.... but some don't. Others, for some reason, like to dump all the oil out into the bilge/engine pan if heeled too far on one tack or the other.. a messy lesson best left unlearned.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
8 to 10ft seas are not that bad if long period between crests, if short period then sail or motor sail will be just as uncomfortable.

Reduce headsail to 50% or less and reef the main to 2nd or 3rd then assuming no bit of land in the way, find an angle to the waves that feels right. Keep the motor in gear at idle or not, you will be moving faster under sail than with the motor on.
Old 04-20-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
8 to 10ft seas are not that bad if long period between crests, if short period then sail or motor sail will be just as uncomfortable.

Reduce headsail to 50% or less and reef the main to 2nd or 3rd then assuming no bit of land in the way, find an angle to the waves that feels right. Keep the motor in gear at idle or not, you will be moving faster under sail than with the motor on.
Ditto, try different points of sail to see and feel the differences. Sometimes I don't mind pounding through the seas if the crests are timed right, other times I would prefer sailing or motoring away from my destination rather than be uncomfortable.

I have doused the sails and just motored directly into the wind (+40knots) once and it worked rather well, little heeling, a bit rough but our destination was in that direction and we did make headway so ended up to the better after that little storm went by. Usually though the wind means sailing just with less sail.

Just try different things, those conditions are such that most sailboats are going to handle them just fine, it is just making things comfortable that matters...........unless racing in which case.....
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-20-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I'd agree with Faster. You'd get a better ride with some sail up between and working between 45 and 60 degrees. The boat won't roll as much. If you wanted to sail with a reefed main and the engine, that would be a compromise to reefed main and small jib. But I have found the engine to be annoying.

With 8-10 ft seas and 30 knot gusts, the wave period is what is going to decide your optimum speed is...at this point you're sailing the seas (1 at a time) looking for the right combination of comfort and speed. You might want to be heading up ( 45) into the waves and falling off (60) down the backs.

I wouldn't want to pound ( motor ) into these conditions at 25 degrees..for any length of time. My engine wouldn't push 5-6 knots against those waves and winds at that angle.

If you sail close hauled, you're likely to lose boat speed imo..the waves will knock your speed down and they will shadow the wind in the trough. Which is why, you might need to fall off to 60 degrees..on the back of the waves..to maintain boat speed and not bury the bow.
Old 04-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that by sailing at 45˚ to the wind and waves, you're effectively lengthening the wave period, since you're taking them more obliquely.... this will make the boat's motion much calmer.

I would be hesistent to fall off much further, since you'd be more abeam to the wind and waves than heading into them and far more likely to get knocked down if you're not careful.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
If you are really trying to get somewhere directly upwind in short period 10' waves, you will generally get there quickest simply motoring provided that you have a powerful engine. However, the motion will not be comfortable at all as you will be pitching quite a lot.

How well motorsailing works really depends on the boat. Some boats really benefit from having the sail area to induce a constant amount of heel although VMG going directly into the wind almost always suffers.

The way that I usually try to handle this situation is to fall off until I can really sail which essentially makes the wave period longer and when heeled, the boat will stiffen up some. Part of the key to this is getting the correct amount of sail area up. Overpowering is pretty obvious but I see a lot of people in this type of conditions underpowered which leads to greater rolling and often requires the engine to keep speed and steerage.

Probably the best thing to do is to try each method for 10 minutes and see what works best for the given conditions and boat.