Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010
Banned

nogin is on a distinguished road
I have a lot of prperty and a second 40' driveway with a large boat port to work under. HOWEVER, I am not into a one year project and a lot of adversity. I am going to have to pass. This boat is on LI if anyone else is interested.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Man, she's dirty! Nothing a little elbow grease would take care of.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 04-23-2010
Banned

Just curious as I have never done this before. Since I am going to be facing a project and sure to need various parts, would it be a good idea to grab this one, strip her for parts (mast, sail, rigging etc) then pay to have her brought to the junk yard? Can that even be done? Where do all these unwanted POS boats go?
Old 04-23-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Your first idea to power wash the insides after you remove everything is a good Idea, then rig it up! get the sails on, just do the outside get the trailer fixed up. it's free! go for it! you can be sailing in 2 months! Finish the rest after the season is over.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
In Brookhaven I believe old boats go to the landfill for a fee. Check the town website. If she has a lead keel that would probably sell for more than the fee. But if you add transport and labor (yours) boatbreaking is not very profitable.
Barry is a great guy. We'll get you sailing.
Old 04-23-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
The project duration depends a lot of work habits.
I've seen paint and varnish projects stretched out to a year, and have seen complete rebuilds take a few weeks.

As for power washing below decks, I use plenty of water below, garden hose power washer etc.
Most often I drill a 3/4 inch hole in the lowest point of the hull, or if there's a through hull in a suitable location, I just remove that. If you don't want to drill, a sump pump and shop vac gets rid of the water.

Sails are the critical thing as to deciding the worth of the project, without sails it's just a swim platform no matter how good it looks.

From the pics, I'd be dragging it home. But I enjoy project boats, sometimes I think I enjoy the projects just as much, or as I do sailing them. (typically don't keep a ready to sail boat too long after it's done)

Ken
Old 04-23-2010
Banned

Thanks John. You've been great support as well.

She does have a lead keel and good sails/mast and rigging (I believe). I don't mind a project but nothing that will take more than a couple of weekends.
Old 04-23-2010
Banned

I like the idea of a good project but what really scares me here is that he has had standing water in the salon due to an open hatch and missing vent covers. The floor is made of plywood which can easily be ripped out and replaced. I am just worried I may get in over my head. I carefully inspected all the sails and it has good Main, Jib, Working Jib, and Spinnaker. PLUS he has a brand new main never used!! This is my first sailboat and I just don't want to get in over my head. I completely painted the hull of one of my current boats (1987 Thompson) in a few days and it came out pretty good (roll and tip).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am not afraid of any project I just know I want to be sailing in a few weeks and don't want to get in over my head. I am pretty much on my own with this project.
Old 04-23-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
My $.02

Hi Joe,

We've sent a lot of emails back and forth. Here is my opinion for everyone to see:

Since you have the skills and the motivation, I don't see how you can lose on the O'day. The boat is free and comes with valuable gear - including a new sail, some other decent sails, and the complete sailing rig (mast, boom, spreaders, etc). The owner will also give you a new VHF and some other gear.

Yes, the boat looks like hell now, but as long as the hull is solid and you don't mind working, you can be sailing this year. Will the boat be bristol? No, heck, it will be ugly for a while. But that's OK because you'll be sailing, learning, having fun, and paying next to nothing.

If you get tired of working on the boat, sell the gear and throw the hull away.

If you decide to take the boat, I would recommend:
  1. Rip everything out of the inside - all the old wood, plumbing, electrical, EVERYTHING
  2. Powerwash EVERYTHING - inside and outside
  3. Clean the topsides as best you can to get rid of all the peeling paint and roll and tip it with a cheap paint. It won't look great but it will be decent
  4. Make a bare, real bare interior - just a few bunks and settees. If you want to spend time below use camping gear like lanterns, stove, porta potty, etc.
  5. Put the rig up, launch the boat, and go sailing
  6. If you love the boat, take next year formulate a plan to fix her up properly. If you don't love the boat, but love sailing, think about what you want in your next boat and start planning on how to get it.
After that long diatribe, the boat in CT looks to be a much better deal. Grab that boat if you can. If you can't then the O'day could work. There were a few other possible boats, like the 23' O'day in Northport that could work as well.

Personally, I would show up with $500 cash and buy this:

Morgan Sailboat

Morgan Sailboat - $950 (Massapequa)

Date: 2010-04-17, 8:26AM EDT
Reply to: sale-wytxf-1696319953@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1969 25ft Morgan sailboat, in water, 8hp Evinrude runs great, good sails, lots of extra`s

Here to help,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2010
Banned

Thanks again Barry. I was waiting to see if you were going to jump in. I feel really bad I am throwing so much at you. I wouldn't blame you if you were to back out and stay away from "this nut" who is all over the place (that's my personal view of myself at this point!!). When I decide to do something I jump all in and you have felt it first hand so I apologize for that. I spoke to the Morgan owner and it was his daughters and has not been out of the water in 4-5 years in Massapequa. He is a super nice guy willing to negotiate but knows nothing of the boat. Perhaps worth a trip to see. YES, my number one is the CT Seafarer!! He emailed me yesterday and said he will let me know later today.