Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010
C445 #14 Owner

Tuennerman is on a distinguished road
Lake Ray Hubbard vs Lake Lewisville

I'm considering my options with respects to homes for a Catalina 445. Which would you recommend between Lake Ray Hubbard and Lake Lewisville, for a boat of that Draft and Size?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Doesn't Lake lewisville basically dry up in the summer? When I lived in Dallas I remember boats sitting in mud at there docks and a no swimming ban because of a nasty bacteria from sedentary water. I don't remember the same about Ray Hubbard. Depth wise i'm not sure about either lake?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 04-26-2010

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road
I'm on Joe Pool Lake. One thing I like about it compared to most Texas lakes is that it is a Corps of Engineers "fixed level" lake and is only used by Midlothian as a municipal water source.
(Last year around Labor day we went down to Austin to rent a house boat. The lakes there were 27+ feet low,with boats sitting in their racks fifteen feet above the grass growing beneath them.)
Ray Hubbard is 22,000 acres and has a max depth of about 40 feet and feeds the Dallas muni water supply.
Lake Lewisville is 29,000 acres and has an average depth of 25 feet with a max of 67 feet. It, like Joe Pool is primarily a flood control lake so it is more likely to maintain its levels. Lewisville is one of the more statistically dangerous lakes in the state with a high number of accidents due to the crowds.
I would avoid lakes like PK and Benbrook as they are essentially long river beds with a lot of bridges and not much in the way of sailing space. Grapevine lake and Eagle Mountain are also good choices.
My choice is berth near where you live and keep the rain god happy. There is plent of good sailing on all of these lakes.
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious... why would you want to keep a 44' boat on a lake, other than the Great Lakes... especially ones that may dry out or be drained?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2010

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road
All lakes are subject to too little and too much rainfall. I have heard that Ray Hubbard gets some priority due to the Power Plant operations and so is held fairly constant except for extreme conditions, although I do not know this as a fact. I have not sailed on Ray Hubbard but have sailed a J24 on Lewisville for many years. Alot of the northern portion of Lewisville is inaccessible to sailboats due to the numerous trees. I am well aware of Lewisville's reputation as "dangerous" and always cringe at how this is construed. The lake is neither more nor less dangerous than any other lake. The quantity and quality of the people that use it drive the danger issue. The GOOD thing about lewsiville is it is close and readily accessible to the Dallas multitudes...the BAD thing about Lewisville is it is close and readily accessible to the Dallas multitudes. (I've always wondered if you factored in the number of people who use it compared to other lakes of its size if the danger factor wouldn't even out) Use it on a weekday day or evening and you have it virtually to yourself (so only as daangerous as you are). I would avoid it however on a Holiday weekend as it can get so crowded it's just not fun.

I would suggest however that you consider lake Texoma, especially for a 40+ footer. I anticipate with a boat that size you would anchor out on weekends in some secluded cove, of which Texoma has many. I don't think you'll find that kind of seclusion of Habbard or Lewisville. Also, you can sail all day on Texoma and not get from one end to the other and back. It has north/south bodies of water and east/west bodies of water so you can select your tack based on wind direction. (Lewsiville is pretty much an east/west lake, which does work well with the primarily prevailing south winds). Texoma is about 1-2 hours north of Dallas depending wher you live so does hamper the impromptu evening sailing afforded by Lewisville or Hubbard. But you can have a heck of a weekend up there.
Old 04-26-2010

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Dog...
the mans in texas, it'd be a hell of a commute to the great lakes...

ok, fwiw, I wouldn't put anything longer than say 30 ft on any of the lakes mentioned. (personal preference, no hate mail, ok?)
Hubbard is chocked full of stumps.
Lewisville is chock full of go-fasts and pwc's.

I'd go to Texoma (56 miles N. of Plano)
89,000 acres. nuff said.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
Dog...
the mans in texas, it'd be a hell of a commute to the great lakes...

ok, fwiw, I wouldn't put anything longer than say 30 ft on any of the lakes mentioned. (personal preference, no hate mail, ok?)
Hubbard is chocked full of stumps.
Lewisville is chock full of go-fasts and pwc's.

I'd go to Texoma (56 miles N. of Plano)
89,000 acres. nuff said.
Kind of my point...what's the point of having a 44' sailboat and not being able to sail it??? I know Lake Texoma is pretty big...and fairly good sailing...but still seems a bit small for a 44' boat...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-26-2010

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Dog,
buddy, pal, hombre....

not everyone lives where they can splash in the great lakes or salt water.
Not to mention there are more than a decent number of 44 ft-ers and up on this puddle. (and Oh, Valiant is made and spashed here too)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-26-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
I'm finally beginning to understand something. Ocean sailors don't like to tack.....
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

I believe a certain missing moderator has pointed that out several times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
Dog,
buddy, pal, hombre....

not everyone lives where they can splash in the great lakes or salt water.
Not to mention there are more than a decent number of 44 ft-ers and up on this puddle. (and Oh, Valiant is made and spashed here too)

Telstar 28
New England