Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
STCH, thank you for giving us the other side of the story. It's always nice to get as much information as posible about a situation. Hope you enjoy the site.
Old 07-08-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Last edited by chrisncate; 05-20-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
STCH—

Thank you for your side of the story and welcome to Sailnet. I would recommend you read the Special Interest Disclosure thread in the Boat Buying forum and comply with it, as you are considered a marine industry person...

I am a bit curious as to why the owner of the Gulfstar did not put out an anchor to prevent the boat from being pushed further aground. It would seem to me to be a sensible precaution to take at a minimum. If he had done so, it is probable that the grounding would have been just that, a grounding...rather than escalating into a salvage situation. What is your thought on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2010

14432 is on a distinguished road
Very good point, SD. I'm also curious as to why the Sea Tow boat did not suggest this and assist with deploying of the anchor.
Old 07-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, financially, it wasn't in their interest to do so... But, there may have also be extenuating circumstances—like the wave action causing damage to the boat if it wasn't allowed to wash further aground—which seems a bit unlikely, but it is a possibility. As I wasn't on scene, I'd like to hear what the SeaTow guys say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14432 View Post
Very good point, SD. I'm also curious as to why the Sea Tow boat did not suggest this and assist with deploying of the anchor.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
I would also like to hear why these very experienced towboat operators didn't set out an anchor to limit the damages.
Old 07-09-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I'd like to know, given what was described to this point, what could possibly justify an initial quote of 40 grand.

Unreal.

Even charging ten grand for a using your (precious) air bags and a power boat to yank a boat off a bar is robbery in a sane world.
1. Based on the other inaccuracies in the original post, I'd take the $40K quote with a conch-sized grain of salt.

2. Don't want to pay $10K? Fine. Buy insurance, in addition to the Boat US towing coverage. Don't think air bags have value? do a quick search here for the sad story of the S/V Distant Star, and see what happens when somebody decides to take the DIY approach to salvage. He would have LOVED to have some (precious) airbags.

3. It ain't robbery if you agree to the deal. I'm pretty sure that the guys at Seatow did not hold a gun to the stranded owner's head to make him use their services. He could have told them to bore it and stroke it.

4. According to SeaTow, TWO attempts were made the day before to unground him at NO CHARGE, during a small craft advisory.
Old 07-09-2010

bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14432 View Post
That would have been too easy, and could have meant a free tow when the tide rose, rather than the $10k they were able to con from the boatowner, once his situation worsened. Starting negotiations at $40K is downright criminal...
The explanations of what constitutes a free tow by the Sea Tow operator should also raise a few eyebrows about the company's policy towards its members. A 15 minute time limit for ungrounding? Not very realistic...
I agree with the OP, Piracy.......
Old 07-10-2010

STCH is on a distinguished road
Sea Tow Charlotte Harbor always advises customers to set an anchor, this is standard operating procedure. As soon as we receive a call, the dispatcher advises the customer to set an anchor. In this particular situation, the customer was advised numerous times to set his anchor. Sea Tow captains, including MYSELF offered to set an anchor for this customer. The customer repeatedly refused to set an anchor himself or allow us to set an anchor for him. I did not choose to include this in my first post because I did not wish to disparage the customer. I have drawn my own conclusions as to the customer’s lack of reasoning and logic in this situation and remember; I was on scene and witnessed his behavior. This is all I want to add, I will leave all knowledgeable boaters to draw their own conclusions.
Old 07-10-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story...

Thanks for coming on SN with the other side... Salvage is a risky and very expensive business and it ain't cheap....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.