SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Piracy is alive and well in Charlotte Harbor, Fl (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/64146-piracy-alive-well-charlotte-harbor-fl.html)

funsailthekeys 04-24-2010 11:48 AM

Piracy is alive and well in Charlotte Harbor, Fl

Could someone please explain to me how identical boats ( Gulfstar 45's) both run aground during low tide ( both within the channel markers) one at the entrance to Burnt Store Marina and the other at Marker 20 in the Manchester Waterway, both spend the night in the channel because the tow operator could not move them. The next day Tow Boat and Sea Tow manage to free their boats, Tow boat charges the normal free tow and Sea Tow charges for salvage to a negotiated price of $10,000.00. I don't get it. Both were in virtually the same situation.

Architeuthis 04-24-2010 12:03 PM

In many other such situations the overcharged has recourse, in fact in many areas it is illegal to price gouge in such situations. It appears the law needs an update in this area.

k1vsk 04-24-2010 12:03 PM

sounds like SeaTow was up to some questionable low tide ops to boost their sales for the month.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

sailingfool 04-24-2010 01:35 PM

You guys sound like Obama and the Cambridge Police/Skip gates affair, where he basically said" well, I don't know the facts..but the police acted stupidly...".

If you want to pick up some facts, you could read:
Sea Tow: Salvage Info
and maybe
http://www.braislaw.com/images/Salvage_Web_Version.pdf
and then it would be useful to know something about what the second owner agreed to and why

k1vsk 04-24-2010 02:59 PM

It's always fun to make snap judgments and see what comes out of the weeds.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

sailingdog 04-24-2010 08:27 PM

If the TowBoat US customer had an unlimited towing contract, he would have been given the normal price, often even in salvage situation provided the boat was not actually sinking.
Quote:

Originally Posted by funsailthekeys (Post 596953)
Could someone please explain to me how identical boats ( Gulfstar 45's) both run aground during low tide ( both within the channel markers) one at the entrance to Burnt Store Marina and the other at Marker 20 in the Manchester Waterway, both spend the night in the channel because the tow operator could not move them. The next day Tow Boat and Sea Tow manage to free their boats, Tow boat charges the normal free tow and Sea Tow charges for salvage to a negotiated price of $10,000.00. I don't get it. Both were in virtually the same situation.

funsailthekeys 04-25-2010 11:24 AM

I do know that Sea Tow had the owner sign the forms before towing began and Tow Boat had the owner sign the paper work after the tow was over.

k1vsk 04-25-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funsailthekeys (Post 597260)
I do know that Sea Tow had the owner sign the forms before towing began and Tow Boat had the owner sign the paper work after the tow was over.

So you are saying the captain signed a salvage contract?
If so, there is no surprise here.

funsailthekeys 04-25-2010 04:46 PM

I believe that Sea Tow has you sign things then tells you the damage.

bljones 04-25-2010 04:53 PM

Is it your boat? Apparently, no.
Did you see the contract? Apparently, no.
Are you privy to the conversation between the skipper/owner and the towboat captain? Apparently, no.
So, you don't have all the facts, no real info, and you are a third party observer.

As that is the case, I believe that what you believe means nothing. Show us some facts. Otherwise, shut up before you embarrass yourself.