Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010

steveg353 is on a distinguished road
Army Hole in Texas

Has anyone been to Army Hole (the old ranger station) south of Port O'Conner TX? If so, can I get in there with a 34'er with 4'6" draft?
My wife and I will be coming from Port Aransas to Clearlake in a few weeks (via ICW) and thought we might stop there for a day.
We are open for any suggestions on other interesting stopping places along the way too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010

rcarr is on a distinguished road
I go to army hole often with 5'3" draft. Its fairly easy. Stay about 40 feet off the greens untill marker 13. If you hit the center of the channel. you will see nothing less than 6.5 - 7'. After marker 13 you will have 7-9'. I suggest that you have a current chart of the bay. The Harbor is a great place. At night you may expect raccoons on your boat. Until a few years ago, the island was a state park. Now it is wildlife managaement area. It is primative. No water or facilities. Lots of animals, we have seen raccoons, snakes, coyotes, and even an alligator. We were there last week and the rangers were doing an arial wild hog kill. One note of caution, do not be in the harbor in a north wind.

Rcarr
Old 04-28-2010

steveg353 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Rcarr.
When you say "do not be in the harbor in a north wind", do you mean anchored?
It looks like on Google Earth, there are 5 boat slips. Are they OK in a north wind?
I read that you can turn to port past marker 11 and tuck in behind the northshore if the winds are out of the north....sound right to you?
Don't mention the snakes to my wife...we will be anchored in the middle of the bay.

"arial wild hog kill" now that sounds interesting.
Old 04-28-2010

rcarr is on a distinguished road
I have never moored in the slips. They are inside of the breakwater, pretty tight space for a sailboat. You could get in and out off the first slip. I don't know the depth at the slips. I always tie up to the bulkhead. The slips may do, but you will get bashed against the bulkhead in a north wind. I have also read that you can get behind the islands for north wind protection, but have never tried it.

The wild hog kill was a two day event. They had two helicopters, and two ranger on a four wheeler. Last year they killed almost 400 hogs.

If you could find a copy of "Campbell's guide to Cruising Texas", it would give you a lot of info for you trip.

rcarr
Old 04-28-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Campbell's guide

A repost from another thread...

Campbells Guide to Cruising Texas is good but it has not been updated since the past few hurricanes. I think they are holding back publishing it until later this year.

Also, don't overlook the "Hook & Line fishing maps". They actually are updated more often than the traditional charts.

These are best to be used along with traditional charts which can be purchased other places or downloaded from Noaa.

Check out "Guide to Cruising Texas / Southern & Central Coast" by Jay & Buffy Corzine. 361/920-2423 He is in Rockport or you can order and he will ship it.
There may be a retail outlet in Corpus as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr View Post
I have never moored in the slips. They are inside of the breakwater, pretty tight space for a sailboat. You could get in and out off the first slip. I don't know the depth at the slips. I always tie up to the bulkhead. The slips may do, but you will get bashed against the bulkhead in a north wind. I have also read that you can get behind the islands for north wind protection, but have never tried it.

The wild hog kill was a two day event. They had two helicopters, and two ranger on a four wheeler. Last year they killed almost 400 hogs.

If you could find a copy of "Campbell's guide to Cruising Texas", it would give you a lot of info for you trip.

rcarr