SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Where to sail in central Virginia? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/64248-where-sail-central-virginia.html)

ilikerust 04-27-2010 03:57 PM

Where to sail in central Virginia?

So here I am in Richmond, VA (actually a few miles west, in far western Henrico County), and I'm doing a little Googling for places to sail a small boat (say, a 15 to 19-foot open daysailer/trailer sailer). I find Swift Creek Reservoir in Chesterfield County, Lake Anna (which seems to be infested with PWC and other powerboats), and that seems to be about it.

I've spent a bunch of time searching here (like a couple hours, when I really should be working) and haven't come up with too many options.

So:

1. Anybody know of any other options for sailing a smallish boat, such as I describe, in the general central VA/Richmond vicinity?

AND

2. Ultimately I'll get to the Bay (Chesapeake) or at least part of it (e.g., Mobjack Bay) - where would be a decent place to put in that's not too terribly far from where I am (western Henrico County)? Again, presume a smallish boat.

Thanks!

pdqaltair 04-27-2010 04:26 PM

Try Westmoorland State Park on the Potomac. Very nice, nice beach, cabins for over-night if you want them, and a ramp. Not crowded. I used to sail my Hobie cat there.

jcalvinmarks 04-27-2010 04:29 PM

You're not too awful far from Kerr/Bugg's Island Lake in Southern VA, which is where I sail; it's about 120 miles by Google Maps' reckoning. Of course, by the time you go all that way, you might as well skip the lakes and head straight for the Bay.

Nice wind, calm waters, and relatively few other boaters, though, if you're interested in Kerr.

SVAuspicious 04-27-2010 04:41 PM

Smith Mountain Lake?

ilikerust 04-27-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 598239)
Smith Mountain Lake?

Over 3 hours from my house, so not really a viable option. Chesapeake Bay is half that distance; tidal James and York river under an hour.

Just trying to catalog all the options...

Thanks!

zz4gta 04-28-2010 08:01 AM

It takes me over 2 hours to get to my boat on the bay. If the bay is only 1.5 hours away, I'd go there.

Another option would be Lake Anna south of fredericksburg.

sailingdog 04-28-2010 08:11 AM

I would have suggested Lake Anna, but the OP has it in the OP... and it is PWC infested...pretty good fishing there though...
Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4gta (Post 598435)
It takes me over 2 hours to get to my boat on the bay. If the bay is only 1.5 hours away, I'd go there.

Another option would be Lake Anna south of fredericksburg.

ilikerust 04-28-2010 08:13 AM

Yes, I have considered Lake Anna, because it's a really big lake and only about an hour away.

Unfortunately, I have been told by others who have been on it with their small sailboats that it is overrun with PWCs and powerboaters pulling kids on wakeboards and such. Very crowded, noisy and people crossing your bow and zooming by all the time.

I still think I might go check it out at least once, to see for myself - I mean, it's a very big lake, so I'm wondering how bad could it really be?

But yeah, ultimately, the Bay is my goal, so maybe I should just start looking for the nearest, best access points.

kd3pc 04-28-2010 08:19 AM

anna on the weekends is horrible for sailors..
You can be at many places (public and private) on the northern neck Potomac or Rappahannock or even the bay, in a shade over 1.5 hours...

Enjoy

sailingdog 04-28-2010 08:36 AM

As bad as you've been told, the reality is probably worse... It was bad when I was living in VA six years ago...and had been getting worse... so I can't imagine how bad it is now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikerust (Post 598442)
Yes, I have considered Lake Anna, because it's a really big lake and only about an hour away.

Unfortunately, I have been told by others who have been on it with their small sailboats that it is overrun with PWCs and powerboaters pulling kids on wakeboards and such. Very crowded, noisy and people crossing your bow and zooming by all the time.

I still think I might go check it out at least once, to see for myself - I mean, it's a very big lake, so I'm wondering how bad could it really be?

But yeah, ultimately, the Bay is my goal, so maybe I should just start looking for the nearest, best access points.