Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Where to sail in central Virginia?

So here I am in Richmond, VA (actually a few miles west, in far western Henrico County), and I'm doing a little Googling for places to sail a small boat (say, a 15 to 19-foot open daysailer/trailer sailer). I find Swift Creek Reservoir in Chesterfield County, Lake Anna (which seems to be infested with PWC and other powerboats), and that seems to be about it.

I've spent a bunch of time searching here (like a couple hours, when I really should be working) and haven't come up with too many options.

So:

1. Anybody know of any other options for sailing a smallish boat, such as I describe, in the general central VA/Richmond vicinity?

AND

2. Ultimately I'll get to the Bay (Chesapeake) or at least part of it (e.g., Mobjack Bay) - where would be a decent place to put in that's not too terribly far from where I am (western Henrico County)? Again, presume a smallish boat.

Thanks!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Try Westmoorland State Park on the Potomac. Very nice, nice beach, cabins for over-night if you want them, and a ramp. Not crowded. I used to sail my Hobie cat there.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
You're not too awful far from Kerr/Bugg's Island Lake in Southern VA, which is where I sail; it's about 120 miles by Google Maps' reckoning. Of course, by the time you go all that way, you might as well skip the lakes and head straight for the Bay.

Nice wind, calm waters, and relatively few other boaters, though, if you're interested in Kerr.
Old 04-27-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Smith Mountain Lake?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Smith Mountain Lake?
Over 3 hours from my house, so not really a viable option. Chesapeake Bay is half that distance; tidal James and York river under an hour.

Just trying to catalog all the options...

Thanks!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 04-28-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
It takes me over 2 hours to get to my boat on the bay. If the bay is only 1.5 hours away, I'd go there.

Another option would be Lake Anna south of fredericksburg.
Old 04-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would have suggested Lake Anna, but the OP has it in the OP... and it is PWC infested...pretty good fishing there though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
It takes me over 2 hours to get to my boat on the bay. If the bay is only 1.5 hours away, I'd go there.

Another option would be Lake Anna south of fredericksburg.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Yes, I have considered Lake Anna, because it's a really big lake and only about an hour away.

Unfortunately, I have been told by others who have been on it with their small sailboats that it is overrun with PWCs and powerboaters pulling kids on wakeboards and such. Very crowded, noisy and people crossing your bow and zooming by all the time.

I still think I might go check it out at least once, to see for myself - I mean, it's a very big lake, so I'm wondering how bad could it really be?

But yeah, ultimately, the Bay is my goal, so maybe I should just start looking for the nearest, best access points.

- Mark Twain
Old 04-28-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
anna on the weekends is horrible for sailors..
You can be at many places (public and private) on the northern neck Potomac or Rappahannock or even the bay, in a shade over 1.5 hours...

Enjoy
Old 04-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As bad as you've been told, the reality is probably worse... It was bad when I was living in VA six years ago...and had been getting worse... so I can't imagine how bad it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerust View Post
Yes, I have considered Lake Anna, because it's a really big lake and only about an hour away.

Unfortunately, I have been told by others who have been on it with their small sailboats that it is overrun with PWCs and powerboaters pulling kids on wakeboards and such. Very crowded, noisy and people crossing your bow and zooming by all the time.

I still think I might go check it out at least once, to see for myself - I mean, it's a very big lake, so I'm wondering how bad could it really be?

But yeah, ultimately, the Bay is my goal, so maybe I should just start looking for the nearest, best access points.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.