Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010

ROSA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
We do need fossil fuels to make all kinds of products but we could help with a little bit of smarts in that area as well. Plastics are here to stay but things like clothing could be made of cotton or hemp instead of polyester fibers.(I know what you all are thinking)
Why do milk jugs need to be plastic? Why not cartons like a quart or half gallon?
Bring your own cloth bags to the grocery store. Do people really understand how many of those things are in landfills? Don't even get me started on diapers now.
That's just a few of the things we can do.
You are so right! Like I and many here have said in some post, so many of us have forgotten what a difference we can make. We refuse to think outside the box at all, and just accept that which is the accepted norm. Some are not innovative enough, some just do not care, while many refuse to look up and see the real big picture. If we demand, as a people, we can stop these things from happening, by being willing to change ourselves, and our values.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2010

wannam is on a distinguished road
Note to Sarah Palin:

How's that "Drill-Baby-Drill" workin' out for ya'?
Old 05-04-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
So one day I am channel surfing

And I come across a special on garbage and what it is doing to the planet. Up until this time I have to admit that I really didn't think about it. But I saw that birds on the islands in the Pacific were dieing of starvation.
When the scientists looked at the bodies of these birds the found plastic in their rib cages hinting at the fact they had eaten plastic.
They then cut to the pacific waters between the Galapagos Islands and French Polynesia. They showed the waters to be so polluted with garbage (Plastics) that the birds were eating it thinking it was fish. Thus causing the starvation.
The narrator said it was from storm drains in America which "okay" maybe some was. I highly doubt however that all of it was. I think the best culprit here is cruise ships dumping garbage. They are probably more to blame then California is.
But this shows another problem in the environmental movement. To fix a problem you have got to be one truthful about the cause and two honest about the realities of the day at hand.
We can do a lot better but it does come down to a individuals as well as a corporations decision.
Old 05-04-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I don’t think that there is one energy solution for everybody and different locales might and probably should come up with their own solutions, but there is one thing that we all can do, and that is to reduce. We all seem to remember recycle, but in the three Rs, reduction comes first, followed by reuse, and then recycle. We need to reduce our consumption of almost everything.

Here are some of the things that we do in no particular order:

We use wind and solar.

We use canvas bags for all stores, not just the grocery store. We say “no bags” for when we can just carry our stuff out. We even have canvas bags for produce. We try to get whole foods without packaging.

We ride our bikes when feasible.

We use wax paper and plastic containers in place of use once bags for storing food.

We try to buy more local food from local sources.

We can some of our own food.

We use steel bottles for drinking tap water instead of buying bottled water.

We use handkerchiefs instead of disposable tissues.

We use led lights.

We buy used products when practical and available.

If we go out to eat and expect leftovers, we take containers with us. If we don’t have containers we ask for a small piece of aluminum foil instead of foam.

We ask for glasses instead of plastic cups when we are out. If we are out drinking and get plastic cups, we ask for refills in these instead of having them thrown away each time.

We ask for no straws in our drinks.

We try to trade books instead of buying new ones.

When we shower, we don’t let the water run free.

We use rags instead of paper towels.

When on picnics with friends, we take our dishes and silverware instead of using disposables.

We use natural cleaners like vinegar, baking soda, and lemon.

We tend to buy biodegradables and organic products.

Every once in while we sit down and try to figure out something else that we can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

* The LIPA Solar Rebate is dropping to $2.75/watt as of January 1, 2010. CALL US NOW to lock in the present $3.50/watt rebate!

**NY State Tax Credit can be carried over multiple years if needed.

***Estimated savings based on LIPA Clean Power Estimator.

A system with battery's is MUCH MORE money and the state is BROKE so good luck on the tax

And its biggest issue is FORCING the electric company to buy you excess even when they DON'T NEED IT making me help you again
Note that the state and federal govornments are broke all over. They have this now so like you say, get it now. It will go away because the only income the govt has it my money and yours. They have no other income.
Old 05-04-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
It's an oil spill folks, this happen every once or twice in a blue moon. But note that, suddently, some idiot tries to blow up an old SUV in Times Square and the news media rushs off to cover that and the spill moves to page two.
We don't need to stop drilling, we need to stop calling every oil field, oil rig, oil tanker related event, the end of life as we know it.
Not many of us were alive for, or even know about, the great Texas City explosion back in the 1940's that desimated the city, killed over 600, including the entire Texas City volunteer fire department, injured another 5,000 others, destroyed the Monsanto plant and broke windows as far away as Houston.
If you go down to Texas City today, you'd never know it happened.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 05-04-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Humor me here

When I was a young man I had to help replace a sewer line at my house with my dad. My house had old clay pipe that was good for its day but needed to be repaired because of tree roots and it just collapsed.
But we unearthed it and then took a piece of pvc pipe and used it in place of the old clay pipe coupling it at both ends with a rubber coupler and clamps.
Obviously this is a little different but I was thinking , Why not uses the same principle but instead of both end coupled use the topside end to fill barges full of oil.
I don't know how deep the break is but something could be rigged just to get the oil from getting into the gulf. but it's a pipe Not the space shuttle
Old 05-04-2010

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Whether you're for or against offshore oil drilling, you have to be appalled by the oil industry's response to this crisis. They are currently designing and welding the sub-surface oil collection dome...

As has been pointed out, accidents happen. Oil rigs sometimes sink. So why didn't BP or Transocean have this contingency set up for this inevitability?
Old 05-04-2010

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
When I was a young man I had to help replace a sewer line at my house with my dad. My house had old clay pipe that was good for its day but needed to be repaired because of tree roots and it just collapsed.
But we unearthed it and then took a piece of pvc pipe and used it in place of the old clay pipe coupling it at both ends with a rubber coupler and clamps.
Obviously this is a little different but I was thinking , Why not uses the same principle but instead of both end coupled use the topside end to fill barges full of oil.
I don't know how deep the break is but something could be rigged just to get the oil from getting into the gulf. but it's a pipe Not the space shuttle
This is from the Deepwater HOrizon Response website:

To submit alternative response technology, services or products please call (281) 366-5511
Old 05-04-2010

ROSA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Whether you're for or against offshore oil drilling, you have to be appalled by the oil industry's response to this crisis. They are currently designing and welding the sub-surface oil collection dome...

As has been pointed out, accidents happen. Oil rigs sometimes sink. So why didn't BP or Transocean have this contingency set up for this inevitability?
Sailhog, The truth is that these domes, 2 of them already exist and have been there for quite some time before the spill, one is in Port Fourchon, LA. Neither have they tried to use SWEEPER BOOMS, not containment booms. Sweeper Booms suck the oil which they contain from the surface.

My friend has information that the response has been slow on purpose with the whole intent of stopping offshore drilling as unsafe through public opinion. They have already been successful in this attempt with two governors backing off.

While I am opposed to offshore drilling I am not in favor of deception being used for their agenda. There is a lot going on here than the general public will ever know, IMHO.

Last edited by ROSA; 05-04-2010 at 12:53 PM.