Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Don't know where you get your info from but a boom is a boom; a "sweeper" boom is simply a boom used to collect oil into a trough in which a skimmer is used to remove the surface layer. Also, where did "Neither have they tried to use SWEEPER BOOMS, not containment booms."

From the
May 4, 2010 Operations Report: "196 total vessels (including tugs and skimmers); 486,940 feet boom deployed; 668,081 feet boom available".

It's difficult enoughto form an objective opinion without mis-statements.

I'll leave it to someone smarter than me to figure out what incentive the government or BP would have to intentionally slow down the cleanup. Any evidence? Or is this another perception?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2010

ROSA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Don't know where you get your info from but a boom is a boom; a "sweeper" boom is simply a boom used to collect oil into a trough in which a skimmer is used to remove the surface layer. Also, where did "Neither have they tried to use SWEEPER BOOMS, not containment booms."

From the
May 4, 2010 Operations Report: "196 total vessels (including tugs and skimmers); 486,940 feet boom deployed; 668,081 feet boom available".

I'll leave it to someone smarter than me to figure out what incentive the government or BP would have to intentionally slow down the cleanup. Any evidence? Or is this another perception?
Obviously, there is no one smarter than you!
Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post

From the

You seem to place all of your faith in those who got us where we are today. You also, continue to insult those of us who do not hold your position.

Mis information may also coming from your official sources. (BP, GOV, NEWS MEDIA.)

I stand by my opinion, an although I may have mis labeled some items, there is no intent to mislead. As you point out there is a skimmer, not a sweeper as I called it.

I strongly suspect that you are an industry employee, maybe even BP, or a government worker. You responded just a little too quickly, concerning nomenclature issues, on oil field dictionary terms, for me to believe otherwise.
Old 05-04-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSA View Post
I strongly suspect that you are an industry employee, maybe even BP, or a government worker. You responded just a little too quickly, concerning nomenclature issues, on oil field dictionary terms, for me to believe otherwise.
Rosa,

Donít be too quick to jump to conclusions about people who work in the industry.

Iím an industry employee. I work for a company that builds oil platforms, energy plants, and nuclear reactors for both land and sea. I work in the fossil fuels division. Just because I work in the industry though doesnít make me a bad person or an advocate for what we do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
ROSA, pump your brakes- you are entering tinfoil hat territory.
Old 05-04-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
"My friend has information that the response has been slow on purpose with the whole intent of stopping offshore drilling as unsafe through public opinion. They have already been successful in this attempt with two governors backing off."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-04-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
No, the assumption I work for the government or the industry is as wrong as are some of the statements made here. I am an env engineer and have worked on emergency response and petrochemical industry env issues for decades including some I'd rather forget such as Price William Sound, Bhopal India's isocyanate release and other large spills involved with env assessment, cleanup, trajectory modeling and health impacts.
I am no expert but I do consider any comments I have made here as both factual and objective.
My apparently futile attempt here is to point out that some of the comments here are a result of uninformed snap judgments or down-right ignorance although I recognize that may be too harsh a characterization.

There are lots of people risking their lives trying to mitigate the impact of this spill, contain and clean up the mess, assess it's impact and cap the wellhead - saying they are intentionally sabotaging the cleanup activities is insulting to them and those of us who know better.

I again ask anyone who has made such an allegation to prove it.

Last edited by k1vsk; 05-04-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Rosa,

Donít be too quick to jump to conclusions about people who work in the industry.

Iím an industry employee. I work for a company that builds oil platforms, energy plants, and nuclear reactors for both land and sea. I work in the fossil fuels division. Just because I work in the industry though doesnít make me a bad person or an advocate for what we do.

I agree

I don't think anyone (Gov or Bp Corp) ever wanted this to happen. This is like the planes on 9/11. A tragedy that no one expected or ever wanted to happen.
What we need though are some industry pros here in the U.S. to get down and dirty and try SOMETHING! This is looking like it will be the biggest ecological disaster ever and as an American I am starting to get really angry my country won't stop pointing fingers and get their A$$es in gear.
My state has a lot to lose and my Governor has remained completely out of the loop on this subject. WHAT A POLITICAL WUSSY !!
Old 05-04-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I posted some links to NOAA, Coast Guard, and Louisiana State web sites; there is good current information.

Sail Delmarva: Gulf of Mexico Spill

As for commentary, I think that is well covered by others!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Rosa,

Don’t be too quick to jump to conclusions about people who work in the industry.

I’m an industry employee. I work for a company that builds oil platforms, energy plants, and nuclear reactors for both land and sea. I work in the fossil fuels division. Just because I work in the industry though doesn’t make me a bad person or an advocate for what we do.
I have not accused K1 of being a bad person and furthermore I have no reason to believe he is one. I have simply formed an opinion of him due to his post content. He simply seems to trust the powers that be without question. I also do not believe anyone here has wished this on us or is happy about it. I respect your position in the industry also and am happy that you are not happy about some of the things that your industry does.

If you will check back toward the beginning of this thread you will find that I complimented him on one of his post.

I worked in a position for years that kept me disturbed on a regular basis. I stuck it out only because I had too much invested to leave by the time I became well informed. Many things were happening when I started that I was not aware of as I was too low on the totem pole. As time passed I learned the truth. Finally I reached the time and we parted. I am not proud of why I stayed. While there I learned the truth about what was going on inside,things that the public will never know or probably believe.

Now, I question every answer, especially from the government and corporate America, because they have prov-en to be deceptive over and over again. We have been lied to by both for years and years. Today is no different!

Just because they employ us does not make them good.

Last edited by ROSA; 05-04-2010 at 04:52 PM.