Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
I have to admit that the CG has and is doing a fine job in a very tough situation. To say the CG is not being forth coming and minimizing this situation is a little bit of a stretch even for me. And I am as Untrusting or more so as anyone else.
I don't doubt there is a lot of pressure on the CG to get this resolved as quickly as possible. but to say they are working for BP,Obama,the Government, or have fabricated the results here is a even longer stretch for me to grasp.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
AGAIN...I just posted a link from CBS..its CBS saying that BP used the CoastGuard to black out the press from that particular Island in the Gulf

The Coast Guard has 12000 people working this spill and they have closed 19% of the Gulf for fishing...

I think we need CBS,NBC,CNN,FOX the BBC and all media to have acess if we are to find the truth...BP has lied since day one and congress had to threaten BP to get a film of the leak....

IF BP is not trying to cover up something why not allow the media in????...
After all the media goes to WAR ZONES where there is a much greater risk of loss of life.....
Old 05-19-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
There are no rules that would stop the media from chartering a Helicopter and flying out over that island. And many of the local TV stations down here have their own helicopters that could fly out over that island if they wanted to...
So that Blackout of the News media really don't wash with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 05-19-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would just like everyone to remember that we need to have a discussion that does not get personal.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-19-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
cant we all just get along.... i would think we are all on the same team here, it seems that an accurate measure will probably elude us forever no matter the system used to ascertain it...

While I cant break loose to volunteer, does anyone know of a credible charity donations can be made to help mitigate the damage?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 05-19-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post

While I cant break loose to volunteer, does anyone know of a credible charity donations can be made to help mitigate the damage?
You can hardly trust anyone with donations these days. Even the laws allow companies to keep the great majority of monies for "expenses".

Having said that, you can send me all your money. I will provide therapy for those in need.
Old 05-19-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
cant we all just get along.... i would think we are all on the same team here, it seems that an accurate measure will probably elude us forever no matter the system used to ascertain it...

You might consider the Red Cross which has been and continues to supply meals to the myriad of response workers currently working to contain and collect oil at numerous places in multiple states.
Old 05-19-2010

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
From the Deepwater Horizon Unified Command website: Media Access to Impacted Areas

Quote:
Media Access to Impacted Areas
Can the media access any of the impacted areas?

Tonight CBS Evening News reported they were denied access to oiled shoreline by a civilian vessel that had clean-up workers contracted by BP, as well as Coast Guard personnel on board. CBS News video taped the exchange during which time one of the contractors told them (on tape) that " ... this is BP's rules not ours."

Neither BP nor the U.S. Coast Guard, who are responding to the spill, have any rules in place that would prohibit media access to impacted areas and we were disappointed to hear of this incident. In fact, media has been actively embedded and allowed to cover response efforts since this response began, with more than 400 embeds aboard boats and aircraft to date. Just today 16 members of the press observed clean-up operations on a vessel out of Venice, La.

The only time anyone would be asked to move from an area would be if there were safety concerns, or they were interfering with response operations. This did occur off South Pass Monday which may have caused the confusion reported by CBS today.

The entities involved in the Deepwater Horizon/BP Response have already reiterated these media access guidelines to personnel involved in the response and hope it prevents any future confusion.

Rob Wyman
Lieutenant Commander, USCG
Deepwater Horizon Unified Command
Joint Information Center, Robert, LA
Old 05-19-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
https://loon.audubon.org/payment/donate/OILSPILL10.html
Audubon Society for wildlife and habitat restoration.
Old 05-19-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
One last, probably futile try ---

the differential pressure to which I and other refer is that between the well head and the water column above it, nothing to do with the well pressure. I assume you confuse that point intentionally?

The so-called "science" and you ignores the fact the well head is under 5000 feet of water.
I'm not trying to confuse anything. It's a simple fact that when the oil exits the pipe; the pressure is equal. It does not matter if it is at the surface or 5000 feet down. The measured flow rate via video analysis DOES take into account the depth; because it is being measured at the source; get it? If the same flow rate from a pipe was shown at 100 feet depth it would look exactly the same. The water is no "thicker" down there than it is at any other depth in the ocean. The only difference is the static pressure of the water and oil (which again is equal); and those two fluids are incompressible and do not change in viscosity or flow properties. Do you have ANY background in fluids or physics?

I think a big reason we don't see a much bigger oil slick on the surface is because much of the oil is not making it up to the surface before it emulsifies and remains in the water column.

Quote:
Again, it is irrelevant as the volume released and the environmental impact of any spill are more often than not mutually exclusive things but that too I will presume you want to ignore.
How can the environmental impact NOT be a function of the spill volume? If the Valdez had spilled 1/10'th of the volume; the damage and lasting effects would not have been nearly so severe. Recently there was a much smaller bunker fuel spill (1000 gallons) on SF Bay and there were little to no effects; compared with the 48,000 gallon spill 2 years prior.

Environmental impact is DIRECTLY related to spill volume; how can anyone say otherwise? Oh yeah; the CEO of BP - who says that the spill (that they can't stop) will have very, very little environmental impact. In what timeframe? The entire history of the Earth (5 billion years)? BS - maybe that should be their new name.

If we don't know a good ballpark number of how much is spilled; how can one determine what how much cleanup is needed, what the long term effects are; and how much or how long BP should do the remediation work and/or cover the cost of fishing and economic losses? Is it fair for BP to get off the hook saying they cleaned 90% of a spill rather than 9%? What will happen if BP gets cut free in a few years and then giant blobs of goo start washing ashore 20 years from now (you know the stuff that was not quantified, accounted for or recovered)?

The Cosco Busan bunker fuel spill here on SF Bay was first listed as "less than 1000 gallons"; then it went to 10k, and when the fog lifted and everyone could see the slick that encircled Yerba Buena and Treasure Island; and was washing out the SF Gate; they finally published the total number of 48,000 gallons. While this may seem small by comparison; SF Bay is a much smaller body of water than the Gulf. Had the volume been correctly disclosed at the beginning; the widespread damage may have been prevented due to a more urgent response.

So who would you rather believe? The Government who is on the defensive for not acting quickly enough in the beginning, no oversight, and are taking flak for not letting the surface oil burn; BP who has a massive financial stake in this (remember Exxon; what happened to Exxon after the Valdez?); or a respected professor from Purdue who has his professional name and possibly his career on the line by pointing out that the flow velocity puts the daily volume closer to 70k BPD?

Quote:
The more you dismiss these realities, the less credibility your statements have so feel free to continue.
What realities? You have given no analytical proof that this spill is the smaller number. All you have said is that "it can't be" 70k/day. Explain with some numbers why (with some detailed analysis) so we can all know what the reason is for us to believe your theory.

Ever seen the old pictures of oil wells "gushing"; shooting oil a hundred feet in the air? Do you think the flow velocity was just a bit more than 1 MPH? Why is it so hard to understand that a 1 MPH flow velocity out of a 2foot diameter pipe (a very slow velocity) would result in 70k BPD? It's not a high velocity or pressure that is required; it's the large pipe diameter that results in such a huge net volume. If the BOP had not partially closed; I think the flow would be much, much higher until the gas pressure escapes the deposit. Hopefully they will get the well sealed before the BOP fails due to erosion (if there is truth in that theory).

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 05-20-2010 at 02:43 AM.