Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Just as soon as we all stop driving petroleum fueled cars, stop heating our homes, using electricity, etc... The problem isn't "they" - it's us.
Maybe we should abandon all of our cars, heated/airconditioned homes, return to living in mud huts, and walk everywhere.

Technology and human progress is an awfully tricky double edged sword.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
maybe we should just strive for some responsibility...
wheather the economy expands or contracts the garbage dump always gets bigger,
though i must admit energy efficiency has continued to improve, and the percentage of disposable income spent on it has done nothing but go down since the 70's

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 04-29-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
Maybe we should abandon all of our cars, heated/airconditioned homes, return to living in mud huts, and walk everywhere.

Technology and human progress is an awfully tricky double edged sword.
It seems that the only thing we are progressing to is our own demise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2010

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
A solution would be a big tax on petroleum products. A $10/gallon would certainly reduce our consumption.

But will you vote for it? and enough other people for it to get passed?

Can't have your cake and eat it too... or something like that.

I struggle with the issue myself. I love modern technology (sailboats, computers, cars, heated home, etc.) that makes my life comfortable but at the same time I love pristine nature. It's impossible to have extremes of both at the same time -- all compromises.

Old 04-29-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSA View Post
We are in Slidell, LA, on Lake Pontchartrain. I have a somewhat inside track from friends formerly with Exxon. The concerns to the environment are extreme in their view. They are expecting the worst, especially concerning the off shore islands and the National Sea Shore, unless something changes really soon.

Even if it turns in our favor now there will be devastation to that which will never recover.

We are not far from the spill slick at all, maybe 100 miles, and with SE winds returning soon it will be heading to our home area. Ironically, we were planning a 2 week trip to the Chandeleur Islands this coming weekend. It was to be our first, as waters there are quite thin. A friend was going to lead us in. The trip is now off, and we will probably never see it as it once was.
I live in the n.o. area and I am like disturbed out of my mind over this. I realized just how bad it was when I was smelling the oil in the air today on the westbank, metairie and harahan. I could hardley read some stuff online tonight about it such as this Oil Spill Reaches Mississippi River - CBS News Just look what it says about the marine life, its painful to even read it. All those beautiful dolphins, shore birds and even the state's pelican. I mean WTF are we going to have our beautiful gulf islands, grand isle, and whatever else turned into a oil soaked mess? I have went to grand isle about a year ago and it was more beautiful then I had ever seen. Is it going to change now? I have not even seen some of these places yet and I did want to go to the chandeleur islands. What about my cat island trip? Not to mention what about all of the marine life that we all like to see when we go on the water? I am a photographer and kayaker as well as a sailor. I know the fishermen are effected but so am I. I love my second word (the water) and all I know it for is getting destroyed. This hurts me as I enjoy taking video and pics of all the wildlife I see when I go on the water. Not to mention the beautiful scenery such as white beaches. What about the water, is it going to be oil saturated surf near the beach? I feel as if someone just poored oil all over my personal hometown paradise and all its natural beauty.
Old 04-29-2010

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I'm amazed at the amount of destruction that will come out of this. The way it's going now they won't have that closed off for weeks.. 200 gallons a day? That's one heck of a lot of oil that will now wash out all over the east coast, head south and ruin pretty much every island around that area. I can't even imagine what it will be like one month from now, every beach off limits because it's coated in toxic oil?

Of course, expect BP to fight it all the way despite a class action lawsuit already in place for damages done to particular industries. Sad sad sad..

If ANYTHING good comes out of this it should be the wake up call that you can't just drill anywhere and drill irresponsibly. Valdez, Alaska tundra issue, Texas explosion and all the others that aren't just BP have yet to tell people that the industry doesn't care whatsoever about the environment and will fight tooth and nail to not have to pain a penny for cleanup or damage done, even lives lost... Can anybody explain why the government didn't move much much faster on the issue?

Here's an article that a friend sent to me actually, slightly informational I think: Oil spill from BP explosion spreads in Gulf of Mexico
Old 04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeInCanada View Post
I'm amazed at the amount of destruction that will come out of this. The way it's going now they won't have that closed off for weeks.. 200 gallons a day? That's one heck of a lot of oil that will now wash out all over the east coast, head south and ruin pretty much every island around that area. I can't even imagine what it will be like one month from now, every beach off limits because it's coated in toxic oil?

Of course, expect BP to fight it all the way despite a class action lawsuit already in place for damages done to particular industries. Sad sad sad..

If ANYTHING good comes out of this it should be the wake up call that you can't just drill anywhere and drill irresponsibly. Valdez, Alaska tundra issue, Texas explosion and all the others that aren't just BP have yet to tell people that the industry doesn't care whatsoever about the environment and will fight tooth and nail to not have to pain a penny for cleanup or damage done, even lives lost... Can anybody explain why the government didn't move much much faster on the issue?

Here's an article that a friend sent to me actually, slightly informational I think: Oil spill from BP explosion spreads in Gulf of Mexico
Well said and I want to add that explosion is something that could have been prevented. It appears BP was irresponsible for the safe operation of that rig to allow such a horrible disaster to unfold. In addition, what about the 11 men who were killed during the explosion and their families? A small oil spill is one thing, this is a huge national disaster.
Old 04-29-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Sailguy40,
I feel your pain.
Human beings a have been in control for quite a while now and have a proven track record of trashing the environment for elusive profit dating back to the early damming of rivers and gold and silver mining in the Rockies. The Shad (fish) only run in some major east coast rivers now and there are some troutless streams in Colorado because of those activities. Then there is the coal that used to be in the ground in West Virginia that ended up as acid rain in the lakes of the north east, the plastic and now more oil in the oceans and especially your beautiful Gulf waters south of NOLA.
Isn't there a canal in the city of New Orleans called the Industrial Canal? Hmmm.
Don't jump off a bridge just yet as a couple of good hurricanes could mix things up quite a bit. Besides, isn't there already a 'dead zone' in the summer in the Gulf at the mouth of the Miss. river? We seem to keep dumping **** into the ocean.
Depressing? Yes. I feel for you. It probably would not cheer you up to think that all the way to Florida and beyond may get some oil but at least you know that others will be sharing in your misery unless there is one huge fire in the Gulf tonight.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-30-2010

I am sure it will eventually destroy most of our gulf coast as we know it. I just heard on the news, some oil had already reached the mouth of the mississippi river. What is next? Don't even tell me we will get some in our lake ponchartrain! They never said anything about the lake but hey its water and it leads right into the rigolets which leads to the gulf. So it seems to me the oil can indeed find its way in if given the right conditions.
Old 04-30-2010

Curt is on a distinguished road
Think we will be coming down that way in two weeks and see about doing some volunteer work on the shorelines. The way it sounds each passing day will be compounding the problem threefold. I am unclear as to why the oil at depth still comes to the surface. Seems like the pressure would keep it on the bottom.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.