Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insails View Post
That is the question we have been asking since day 1 here on the gulf coast..

amazing thing is the Coast Guard falls under the department of homeland security....yet all they seem to be used for is to keep the press away from what is happening out there....

Imagine that a forign privately owned oil Company in charge of our homeland securities military arm......

Lunacy...you bet!...question is How can this happen??

it happened because over the past 15 years there was a big push to privatize as much as govt as possible. Americans asked for it--they got it.
Old 05-27-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
LA Times: Engineers have stopped the flow of oil and gas into the Gulf of Mexico from a gushing BP well, the federal government's top oil-spill commander, U.S. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, said Thursday morning.

Did Top Kill Work? | Before It's News
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2010
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Thank G-d! Now the let the bickering begin.....

I think we should all do a national regatta to raise money for all the families whos livelihoods have been destroyed. Does anybody know anyone or is the head of any major sailing organization. All entry fees and sponsorship money could go to either clean-up or to the fishermen whos professions have probably been destroyed.
Old 05-27-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Don't be too sure it's stopped. Live feed shows there is still flow coming out of the ruptured pipe at the BOP. It looks like it might be mud; but that mud will abrade the pipe much faster than the oil with sand particles. They need to get the flow fully stopped before we can say they have this thing under control.
Old 05-27-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
They need to get the flow fully stopped before we can say they have this thing under control.
I agree that getting it stopped is priority one, but there should be enough resources and leadership available to attack the problem from more than one angle and that is getting it contained. For over a month there is a total lack of leadership and the only thing that being done is finger pointing. Why are not more barriers being constructed to protect the shoreline? There's also technology available to seperate out the oil from the water using a centrifuge. Why is it taking so long to get that system going? The largest centrifuge processes 200,000 gallons per day I believe and there are 30 such units available now. Not sure how fast more machines can be made, but why hasn't full support be given to this and other possibilities for containment? This is a total disgrace!
Old 05-27-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Dispersants are cheaper and "hide" it better; and Obama is too busy playing golf, hosting mexicans, and pushing the cap&trade and green economy crap (which will result in a global mafia).
Old 05-27-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Dispersants are cheaper and "hide" it better; and Obama is too busy playing golf, hosting mexicans, and pushing the cap&trade and green economy crap (which will result in a global mafia).
You got that right.
Old 05-28-2010

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
That's easier said then done. The problem I have is that everything in the government is broken. The Bank regulators, Boarder patrol, ICE, the MMS, the treasury dept even non government agencies. The SEC, the Federal Reserve is broken and not regulated.
So where do we start? Obviously IMHO at the voting booth. These morons in the government today are professional politicians and haven't got a clue how we the people feel or what we really care about. Look at how many listened when we said no the the bailouts for the banks.
Iceland is the only smart country on the planet right now. The English and Netherland Govs asked that they pay the money invested back. They put it to a vote and the people said no. With investment comes inherent risk.
You Lost the money in a investment so you lose. I like the way they think. The money we Borrowed to bail out our banks went over seas. Ya what a great idea that was.

And in the meantime BP drills a relief well instead using or trying a shape charge to close the fricken pipe below the gulf floor.[/QUOTE]

The reason government is broken is because private industry, with the help of conservatives, broke it. Conservatives do all they can to shield the oil industry against government interferance, condemn government regulation and do all they can to make government regulation as ineffective as possible because they see government as the problem... and then when you have a catastrophe llike this happens, they turn around and say unbelievable things like, "See, government is broken! Where were the regulators?!"

You're right. Government is broken because conservatives broke it. The regulators weren't doing their job because the oil company did everything in their power to make sure that they wouldn't. The government isn't the problem. The modern conservative movement in America is the problem.

Last edited by sailhog; 05-28-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I am cautiously optimistic that they have stopped the flow, but they won't know for sure for a couple of days.

According to Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen, the "top kill" procedure has succeeded in stopping the flow of oil into the Gulf. If true, it is the best possible news in the operation to clean up the mess created by the Gulf oil spill.

U.S. official says 'top kill' has stopped BP oil leak, but the fix may not be permanent

Good news from Europe.
Brussels - Spain, the Netherlands and the European Union have offered equipment to help the United States clean up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the European Commission said Friday.
EXTRA: Spain, Netherlands and EU to help US clean up oil spill | Earth Times News

I'm kinda tired of all the politics surrounding this whole disaster. I hope everyone just starts pulling together to make the best of the situation. They can sort out the blame crap later.
Old 05-28-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Hey Sail Hog

And who was in power in the house and senate for the last 6 years?

I am not going to get into a political debate here because I want all the Bums in Congress out. I have been a registered independent since I was eighteen.It is apparent to me now more than then anyway the problem with government is not republican or democrat it is career politicians.
That makes the problem both sides of the isle.