Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010
Old Gringo

fjon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericread View Post
I keep hearing here about setting explosive charges to close the leak. As I have no knowledge abdout setting explosive charges, maybe someone with experience in this area can shed some light;

Is there a chance that setting such a charge would fracture the rock around the well and cause a larger volume of oil to escape? And could such a situation create a problem where the well might be near impossible to ever close off?

Or in setting such a charge, will this create a situation where BP would lose the ability to use the existing hole to later tap the well?

So I guess I'm asking is this a technical issue or merely a financial issue?

Either way, I strongly believe that all off-shore drilling should come to a stop until the drilling industry can demonstrate they can responsibly shut off any blow outs. The oil industry needs to regain the public trust and show integrity before this tragedy happens again.

Just my $.02

Eric Read
The explosive seal talk seems to be generated by this Russian video floating around the net of their sealing of a burning gas well on land. wtfk

[IMG][/IMG]

There is more to life than increasing its speed. ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. ~ Samuel Clemmons
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2010

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
A few examples for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSA View Post
And just how long have you observed these things that you spew. I have lived here all of my life and know no one here who lives as you purport. Those things may occur but no group intentionally pollutes their home waters. How about a real example of what you present. Site a few specific examples or hush.
Cameron, La. pogy plant.

Cameron, La. Shrimpers on any of the three-four docks you may find on the east bank of monkey island cut. Specifically F/V Gods grace, beachmaster, lil anna are the ones I've seen most recently.

Cameron, La the partially sunken shrimp boats leaking oil out of their tanks on both sides of monkey island cut.

Morgan City, La. a number of shipyards/vessel repair facilities, I still have to use these yards on occasion so I don't dare to name names because those people are an underhanded bunch and I'll have lots of problems if the word gets out.

Berwick, La. Baroid dock.

Port Fourchon, La. any of the shrimpers you might find in old Fourchon.

Bayou La Batre, Al. La Force S/Y routinely dumps garbage into the bayou, I mention this little slice of heaven specifically because I personally reported them to the Coast Guard.

I haven't used Homa, Venice, or Cocodrie in a long time so but I have seen much of the same behavior.

The people of South Lousianna DO foul their homes not so much from malice as from third-world phillistine ignorance and corruption. What I've written is a fact and I see it almost every day I'm on duty.
Old 05-31-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSA View Post
Yadda, Yadda, Yadda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked you specific questions to defend your position and get this - how eloquent, and telling...
Old 05-31-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
GO SAILING GUYS!

I do not mind a good deabte as long as ylou people can be conscious of how your responses are being received. There are multiple forum violations all over this thread from multiple members. You cannot win an argument over the internet.

Now guys, I would like to urge everyone to be sensitive to what is happening to the lives and livlihoods of many people that are directly effected by this. Comments and remarks are bound to be polarized. I was at a cruisers party last night and that was about 90% of the conversation(s)... and I am in SW Florida and way away from the direct impacts (at least now). I cannot imagine seeing that crap floating on my hometown shores or just off of them... with no end in sight.

I am not drawing blame and I do not mean to defend anyone whose comments may be over the top. I just want everyone to realize that this is a very contentious issue for those whose lives and families are being directly effected. Expect a heated debate. But if anyone on either side cannot keep it civil and be thoughtful in what and how they respond, I will edit posts, delete posts, or just shut this thread down alltogether.

Understand, we are getting multiple "reported threads" from this thread and we are getting worn out having to come here and deal with it (esp on a holiday).

Thanks.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-31-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I am not an apologist for anybody. I simply recognize that there are NO safe technologies! We all want what BP, Exxon etc. produce. We all it want it cheap and limitless. So many of us buy big pickups, and SUVs and then complain about the oil companies. People buy big houses they really can't afford, then complain about the banks. People have five children, then complain about property taxes, which mostly goes to schools. When people stop putting the outhouse next to the well, then we can look at actually solving the problems.

That said, I'd like to suggest really long prison terms for any regulator in bed with any industry they are supposed to be regulating. I think cleaning tarballs out of the swamps for the rest of your natural life would be a fair sentence.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 05-31-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
While it is obvious there will be significant environmental impact from this spill, it isn't the first nor will it be the last; just the most recent. There are approx 3500 production facilities and wells just in the Gulf. No reasonable person expects there won't be a significant spill sooner or later from this enormous number of potential sources.

We expect regulations and the regulators to strike a balance between protectiveness and practical reality of the marketplace. It's too easy to sit here now and blame politicians, the government, regulations or regulatory agencies when they are meeting our overall expectations of prudent management without over-regulation or constraining the economy. The government is not the enemy.

None of the oil production companies does anything more, less or different than BP or Deepwater. This could have as easily happened to any of the thousands of facilities in the Gulf or elsewhere. BP is not the enemy.

Those who so quickly criticize ought to be a bit more introspective - it is not the government, BP or politicians who caused this - at it's most fundamental level, we caused it.

We drive exploration for oil, we demand U.S. production locations, we expect cheap petroleum, we require all of petroleum's derivative materials and we don't want to change any of that.

We get what we deserve.

About the only thing we can learn from this (latest) incident is that some people would rather complain about it but with no apparent good reason.
Old 05-31-2010

diablo243 is on a distinguished road
Well said!
Old 06-01-2010

ericread is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
I am not an apologist for anybody. I simply recognize that there are NO safe technologies! We all want what BP, Exxon etc. produce. We all it want it cheap and limitless. So many of us buy big pickups, and SUVs and then complain about the oil companies. People buy big houses they really can't afford, then complain about the banks. People have five children, then complain about property taxes, which mostly goes to schools. When people stop putting the outhouse next to the well, then we can look at actually solving the problems.

That said, I'd like to suggest really long prison terms for any regulator in bed with any industry they are supposed to be regulating. I think cleaning tarballs out of the swamps for the rest of your natural life would be a fair sentence.

Gary H. Lucas
Gary;

I am glad to see that we agree on this 100%. I would also like to see the same prison terms for any oil company executives that misled us down this ugly path.

Eric Read
Old 06-01-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Flip side of that coin is, the more sabers rattle about criminal charges (and "General" Eric Holder is talking, asking for money, and traveling (down here today) to do just that, the more witnesses (meaning the important ones) will take the Fifth (one so far, and counting) and much less will be learned by the investigation Board here, and the President's new Commission, and anyone else in the myriad of speechifying Congressional Committees.

Might the cry for jail-type revenge be premature, and ultimately unproductive, in terms of getting to the bottom of things so as to prevent a recurrence?
Old 06-01-2010

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Politics are ultimately, hand waving, speechifying and finger pointing.

Sending the A.G. down to investigate this is akin to calling the police because your six year old isn't doing well in school, but ultimately looks good in political circles. A.G.'s can only pursue CRIMINAL cases. Not civil.

There's going to be a lot of hand wringing and finger pointing, reams and reams of newsprint, and suddenly we will find that no laws were broken - except perhaps by minor government employees who did not do the monthly inspections for safety and compliance they were supposed to do.
We already know they didn't, and we already know Obama's folks (not blaming him individually) sent a letter of appreciation to this well in particular for being so good on safety and compliance.
Anything else we 'discover' will be that both parties, and every level of government was part and parcel to the lack of enforcement at some level - either by reducing regulation, not funding enforcement and all the litany of screw ups that our government amply supplies us with.

Then, because scapegoats are handy, some poor smuck (who's name has already made the press) who had the duty the night the well blew will be castigated publicly for not making the decision to use the shutoff while there was still hydraulic pressure to work it. But, alas, he broke no criminal laws.

For that we'll go through endless committee meetings and months of muck raking and hand wringing.
Then 1,000 pages of new law later (and more months of Congressional yammering) we'll have a law that still doesn't cover it.

Anyone placing bets on that?