Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I suppose that's one way of looking at it.. I see it closer to imperialism. Government owns everything, very few benefit from it other than the rich and well to do. Money is used to take over other countries not to put back into society. But cripes.. I'm getting out of this conversation while the gettings good!
Old 06-02-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Has anyone mentioned what the 6-month moratorium on any drilling, planned or in progress, on any well in over 500 feet of water, is going to do to the Louisiana economy? They have to submit their shutdown plans today.

Thanks a lot for the gift of layoffs, hit us once by accident is bad enough, now hit us again on purpose, why don't you. I'm sure it sounds great politically, but those who seem to love it don't have to live with the consequence as we do here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
agree there nola,we are paying enough...

now they want (out of anger)to repeal tax breaks which means all oil goes up and you and I end up paying once again ....I wonder how many times we will pay for this spill before BP does?
Old 06-02-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Don't forget about the Gaza blockade situation; if that turns in to a middle east war we may also be looking at increased OPEC prices. With just the issue of the spill they were looking at the possibility of gas going up to $5/gallon. With production shutdowns due to safety concerns about oil slick fires and drilling shutdowns who knows where the price will end up.

I agree that an exploration shutdown is about the stupidest thing that they can do right now. How about DOING YOUR JOB FEDS! I'd like to know where they get the authority to shut down the operations that were already given permits to drill. It's just another attempt to cause an industry to crash/fail and then for the government to "bail out" the companies and gain more control over what WAS a FREE market.

This is all being done so once Cap&Trade is in place the price increases will carry over to the carbon tax. I can see it coming; we will be paying $3.00/gallon for carbon tax in addition to the base price of gas.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 06-02-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Let me be Clear !
I am not a environmentalist but with everything there has to be balance. What I am saying is that there are more advantages to drilling on land then on the sea bed. And the reduced risks are just one. If the words tree hugger offended I Apologise humbly. I did not want to offend anyone and I am Sorry!.
With that said I do want clean water to drink, I want clean air to breathe, I want the hootie owl to have a habitat. But I also want drilling on land, loggers to have jobs, the power companies to have nuke plants. And YES I WANT THEM REGULATED AND INSPECTED PROPERLY WITHOUT PARTIALITY TOO!
But everything in balance. We cannot drill in the ocean and not expect some problems I agree, however this is more then a problem and this reeks of incompetence and corner cutting at every level.
We can have wells on land and still be clean about it. We can have nuke power and cheaply at that. We can cut lumber and have trees for the hootie owl. And We should also invest in Solar and clean energy.

Hey here's an idea. Let's stop giving all our billions to the world and start spending it at home on the things this country needs. And let's stop shipping our oil over seas and use it here. Let's start worrying about jobs in our own country and not the rest of the Bloody World.
Old 06-03-2010

This wont just be a Gulf event...

The story:
Gulf oil spill could reach Atlantic coast and beyond, study suggests | NOLA.com
Old 06-03-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Yeah; it's only a matter of time. The question is how much is in the water column and what will the effects be on the sealife? Will the oil/dispersant mix cause more widespread damage to sensitive areas like the reefs off of south Florida than if it had been surface oil and allowed to wash ashore?
Old 06-03-2010

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Hmmm. That graphic is strangely...hockey stick shaped......
Old 06-03-2010

difference is this OIL is already here and growing....The currents to carry it will only strengthen as the water heats up...

Global warming has NOTHING to do with this...Apples and Oranges
Old 06-03-2010

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Was not implying that Global Warming was responsible, only remarking that the prediction models show startling similarities of shape.

Another possible cleanup option...Gulf Oil Spill Supertanker Solution - BP Ignoring Secret Saudi Supertankers? - Esquire

Last edited by MMR; 06-03-2010 at 02:03 PM.