Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
I honestly expect to see it in my backyard before summers end. The prospect of success with these long-shot's they've been trying is slim. It won't suprise me if this thing gushes 'till August when the relief wells are scheduled to be done.

Never lived in a "dead zone" before.

DB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
for us on the north central gulf coast..The oil is here on the beach at gulf Shoars..The dead fish are here,the dead birds..The dead zone is not pretty and this stuff has a foul stinch..I hope all the apologist for the oil companies could come here see the death and breathe this crap...I think what makes it worse is all the lies to cover ass by ALL envolved...and any agency ,politician or media that helped cover this should be brought up on criminal charges...
You can bet the Gulf States will push for it...If the feds dont do it the states will...we are sick of the lies and apologist with stock in BP makeing excuses..That simple, and that is what is happening and why you are not seeing the truth. Tempers are high and so is the anger here. It will get ugly if the lies and the ban on the media continues....this spill is not an ostrich as BP is trying to make it...It can't just stick its head in the sand and say its not happening....
Old 06-05-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
If you had buried the wood you would have sequestered more carbon than if you had burned it and made charcoal.
That's the part that I don't think you quite get. If you bury the wood it quickly decomposes and is converted to gas and food for microorganisms. If you bury the biochar from the same piece of wood, it remains there, sequestered for centuries. That's what makes it carbon negative.

Last edited by Faster; 06-05-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: clean up quote
Old 06-05-2010

ericread is on a distinguished road
So at this point, can we all agree that the people yelling "Drill Baby Drill" were really as ignorant as it seemed they were?

The last administration worked hard to gut regulatory oversight, by either reducing the regulatory agency budgets or firing anyone that provided evidence that the policies advanced by that administration were fraught with risk. Then we had the Tea Partiers that claimed we should get government off our backs.

Seemingly, we got exactly what we asked for. The "Free Market" is doing exactly what we should expect them to do, which is drilling at depths in which they have no ability to stem an unexpected event.

As such, the "Free Market" supporters and "Tea Partiers" really have no right to add any criticisms of this tragedy. Big Oil only did what was asked of them.... Which is nothing at all.
Old 06-05-2010

I think this is both parties fault...all the sleezy politicians were out for their interest and not the poeples interest that elected them..."Drill Baby Drill" is not as bad as the other side now saying "Spill baby Spill " to prove a point. Thats downright disgusting especially if you live on the Gulf to hear fellow Americans want us to have harm for their parties political agenda...

BP is at fault by bribing MMS ...That simple there were rules and BP and crooked politicians on BOTH sides went around them...

Time to forget the partisian poltics and fix the damn leak!

Last edited by Insails; 06-05-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
"Time to forget the partisian poltics and fix the damn leak!"

well said and an Amen! from this corner...
Old 06-05-2010

bb32 is on a distinguished road
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise - we cannot eat money."
Cree Indian Proverb

"What does a man need ---really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in --and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all --in the material sense. And we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where then lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be, bankruptcy of purse or bankrutpcy of life?"

Sterling Hayden

THE SLOOPS OF THE HUDSON

INTRODUCTION
The book that inspired the building of the Sloop Clearwater In the early 1960's, Vic ScHwartz of Cold Spring, friend, commercial artist, and American history buff, told me that the Hudson once bad many huge sloops, some with a boom as long as "70 feet? I can't believe that." Vic loaned me a tattered copy of "Sloops of the Hudson," written by William Verplanck and Moses Collyer (Putnam, 1908). I read it through in a night.
Sloops of the Hudson may not have been great literature, but it was (and is) a fine little book. It inspired me one cold January night in 1966 to sit up until 3 a.m. typing a seven-page single-spaced letter to Vic. "Why don't we get a few hundred families together and build a life-size Hudson River sloop?" .
The idea was about as practical as a plan to build a canoe to paddle to Tahiti. In early spring, Vie Schwartz called me on the phone. I still remember our conversation clearly.
"Hey, Pete. When are we going to start building that sloop?"
"You must be kidding," I replied.
"No. I've been talking it up on the commuter train. I passed your letter around and we got a dozen people raring to go. "
I'd say the rest was history, except things like this don't happen without a lot of planning, organization, and commitment. And at the time, it seemed like a frivolous idea. The world was full of agony, the Vietnam conflict was heating up. Money was needed for all sorts of life-and-death matters. There we were, planning to build a sailboat.
It must have been an idea that was meant to take on a life of its own. In June an organizational meeting was held at the home of Alexander Sanders near Cold Spring; 150 people attended. i sang a few songs; someone passed a bat; $167 was raised. At that meeting, officers were elected to initiate the sloop project.

At our second or third meeting, we met at the home of a wealthy Hudson River resident who could have paid for the entire boat himself. He studied our proposed designs and said, "It's a beautiful boat, all right. But why do you want to sail the Hudson? I sail the Virgin Islands myself."

My fingers clenched in anger, but I didn't say anything. He had just given us our best reason for building the boat. Cleaning up a river was a cause worth fighting for. Just as absentee land-lords had ruined Europe's villages, so had we allowed some people to make a profit from the Hudson, after which they went somewhere else to enjoy clear water.

At the same meeting we made a decision to go public. It was a more far-reaching policy decision than any of us realized. The Clearwater would be everybody's boat.
On a bright sunny day in South Bristol, Maine the Clearwater was launched. Over 2,000 people crowded the Gamage Shipyard and dock on May 17, 1969. To those of us who bad been raising money for three years, it seemed like a miracle. The governor of Maine was there, as were many rank and file Maine citizens, young and old. Sloop members laid out a magnificent spread of home-made food, on tables. Several busloads of school children from Newburgh and other Hudson Valley towns helped smash a bottle of Hudson River Valley champagne on the bow. The crowd sang "This Land is Your Land" as the 100-ton bull slid into the water with a splash. It was a great day.

Pete Seeger

Last edited by bb32; 06-05-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2010

hanleyclifford is on a distinguished road
The solution is clear. Hang a big decompression chamber under a big nuclear submarine - send it down to the site, and like the Fonz said, "sit on it".
Old 06-05-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Hi people, thought I would share this here. I had recently posted a comment on this guy's youtube video, believe it or not he is a sailor. Notice what I posted... my name is 'warspite2' and how he responded. I am totally shocked. I mean here is someone who is sailing in the beautiful gulf and he acts as if he just don't care that BP knew about safety issues but continued to drill and that lead to the explosion. Ruining our gulf, ruining our beaches and islands, killing 11 of their employees, killing several hundred wildlife, ruining Louisiana's coast. Seriously, what is wrong with the very few people who say this kind of stuff that this guy says here? Go ahead and check it out. Also remember this guy is a sailor...

YouTube - Sailing to Horn Island MS, pt. 1

Oh and I am glad he got to sail to horn island and see it. I will never see it as it was.
Old 06-06-2010

10 to 1 he never grew up on the gulf and works for an oil company that bought his boat...He will just move on .. He is not a sailor but a boater...How any sailor could not give a crap about the water he sails on speaks volumes..He is a boater for ego and materialism otherwise he would have had the sails up...)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.