Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Oil and gas do come out of vents on the ocean floor. Someday there maybe an earthquake offshore that results in a similar disaster. While this one is man made it is simply a result of there was too much pressure contained in that reservoir and we couldn't handle it. I think working a mile down is not exactly routine yet either.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
I just bought my boat in GA, and am getting on it Tuesday, and was supposed to bring it home to Ft. Myers Florida. Looks like a change in plans! I can't believe these idiots can send men to the moon in 1969, and can't stop a leak in the ocean in 2010? Somthing don't seem right about this whole thing. All the Manatee's, Dolphins, and grouper have to die, cause some greedy BP idiots cut some corners. I am pissed off! I have lived in Ft. Myers, Florida for 15 years, worked on long liners, and love the gulf. BP Needs to be shut down.
Old 05-02-2010

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
Oil and gas do come out of vents on the ocean floor. Someday there maybe an earthquake offshore that results in a similar disaster.
Just because it can happen in nature too doesn't really trivialize it. As far as nature is concerned the entire area can be lifeless for a thousand years and that'd barely be a blink in the life of the planet.

But us humans are pretty sensitive to changes in our environment. Way more so than nature is.

This entire incident is looking worse and worse as time goes on. First it was a 1,000 barrels a day, then it was 5,000 and right this moment they're thinking it could actually be closer to 25,000 a day.
Old 05-03-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
as the leakage is more than 5k barrels PER DAY until capping is possible--maybe 2-3 MONTHS, this is far worse than any other disaster EVER occurring on this planet---thjis WILL take forever plus a few lifetimes to clean up if not caught and stopped EARLY .... is waaay too late for early. now is time for unconventional measures and whatever is able to be done needs to be done fast. like yesterday . yada yada doesnt cut it---no one is able to predict or foretell how much permanent damage will be eventually done here---is a damn shame as the area is so vital and so rich in geological wealth and living riches. the folks who reside here have been slammed by civil war, hurricanes, what-have-you--and still survive=---barely!! this is major--we cannot be so arrogant as to PRESUME that mommy nature will repair it in 5 yrs LOL----no freeking way will that happen----hail--alaska isnt pristine as it was before exxon valdez!! never will be--i just hope and pray that folks will be able to catch most of this and burn it off before it hits the rest of the fisheries and oyster and shrimp locales.....but, geologically speaking, that may not ever happen--this COULD well find gulf stream before bureaucrats get their heads out of A** and go up the east coast----i hope it doesnt--i hope the powers that hide behind clipboards are able to finally prove they are able to actually WORK and get this mess repaired to the best of our abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
" We do not need to drill offshore at all, and it needs to be stopped now, right now."

Rosa, I live here too, and feel your pain (two mega-hits in 5 years is a bit much). It's hard to feel good about aviation when a plane just crashed into your (our) house, but these are the risks, and yes we bear them disproportionally here, but stopping all offshore drilling (production?) "right now" is no more the answer than grounding all the aircraft.
Old 05-03-2010

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt13
...cause some greedy BP idiots cut some corners.
Is there some evidence that they cut corners? If so, I haven't seen it or heard about it.

I don't think they cut corners. They just believed that they could build a system that was effectively fail-safe. Never has been and never will be a truly fail-safe system. Their blow-out preventer (BOP) failed, and then they tried to activate the backup BOP and it failed, too. The odds of both of them failing in a single incident are supposedly something like a million to one.

Well, guess what? This one is "the one." And you know what else? It doesn't really matter what the odds are, it still SUCKS!

The one good thing about this is that it will kill any further talk of drilling in close to the Gulf coast of Florida for quite a while. The folks who, two months ago, were saying that it was safe to drill 10 miles from the beach because they had safety systems galore, with backups to their backups, are looking pretty stupid today.
Old 05-03-2010

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
zeehag

The Valdez spilt 11 million gallons and covered 1300 square miles. In another post you said this spill was bigger than the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.I50.000 -250,000 mostly civ ilians were killed If you targeted that many civilians today the Presedent would be put on trial for war crimes. Your lifetime maybe permanent to you but to the planet even a million years is nothing. Nature will win in the end. End of time for mankind and for the planet is probably vastly different.
Old 05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSA
We do not need to drill offshore at all, and it needs to be stopped now, right now.
I would love to see all offshore drilling stopped, but it just isn't going to happen. Hoping, wishing, and praying won't help. Even lobbying, protesting, writing letters, and voting won't help in this case. At this point in history, human beings are addicted to oil. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

At least, not unless someone discovers some truly revolutionary method for collecting and storing energy. And I'm not talking about fuel cells, or better solar panels, or wind farms. These are all just adaptations of decades old technology. I'm talking about something so radically new that we can't even imagine it today.

Barring that sort of discovery, we will eventually be drilling everywhere that we think there might be even one drop of the black gold. Up until this incident, they were arguing here in Florida about whether the drilling should be 100 miles offshore, or only 10. 10 miles? The day will come when they'll be building the oil rigs right on the beach! Never mind 10 miles, or even 2!

I wish it wasn't so, but I just cannot see any realistic alternative.
Old 05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT
End of time for mankind and for the planet is probably vastly different.
Probably!?! No. CERTAINLY!

Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if we had--in essence--been through this all before. That is, some sort of intelligent life could well have lived on the Earth millions of years in the past. Gone through the same sort of development that we have. Polluted the planet, or engaged in doomsday wars, until they were wiped out by their own hubris and stupidity. Time passes. All evidence melts away and sinks so far below the surface that we will never dig down to it. Human beings evolve. The cycle begins again. Eventually we, too, will become extinct and the Earth will go on.
Old 05-03-2010

ROSA is on a distinguished road
We are now in a position, today, to reduce drastically our need for oil, and eliminate off shore all together.

The estimate to outfit my home here in LA with enough Solar to eliminate my electric bill in total is $80,000. This includes AC and Heat. 70 to 80 % would be rebated by the Feds and the State. This will include solar water heating which will be separate from the other panels. I would be selling back to CLECO. In addition I am looking into a large wind turbine to increase and backup my needs.

Nissan now has a total electric car. More are coming. We will never replace some needs, but reducing the need is the goal and now it is possible and available right now.

How many of us would have thought it possible to supply our boats with Solar, Wind and LEDs just a few short years ago? We just completed a four week cruise, all on the hook, without a generator, without doing without, (except A/C) which we rarely use anyway. All other conveniences were on board. Rarely did we use the engine.

Mostly, it is our mindset that needs to change, the tech is here now.