Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa !!!! It's about time!!!
The test is one thing, the blessig by the epa is another; If the trace oil ( and there will be trace oil ) discharged back into the water exceed the epa standard they will disallow it's use; This makes absolutely no sence too me

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
You gotta love British Humor. The truth of it is what makes this so dam funny.
Old 07-05-2010

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Brilliant!

At least we know who to blame, the bloke who made the wingnuts!
Old 07-05-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
One of my biggest fears may end up coming true... today they have found tar balls in Lake Ponchartrain for the first time since the oil spill. Here is the video in case anyone here lives in the area too and did not know about this...

First reports of oil in Lake Pontchartrain | wwltv.com | WWLTV.com News

Also here is another sad video, it seems these just never end...

msnbc.com Video Player

If it gets any worse in Lake Ponchartrain I am relocating to California because all I have left is the Lake. I lived in Louisiana all my life, BP and their greedy operation may force me to relocate. They destroyed my hometown and all the reasons I lived here. I really may have to leave my job, my life, everything behind and move. I hope they know they will pay for this! Those dirty no good SoBs!

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."

Last edited by sailguy40; 07-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2010
2nd childhood in progress

JonnyQuest is on a distinguished road
Well $%!*, I was hoping to move my boat to Slidell

That was supposed to be my consolation for not being able to sail on the Coast--thought they would be able to contain the mess at the mouth of the Rigolets, a strategic chokepoint.

Might have to put a self contained cooling system on the boat and avoid using raw water for engine cooling. Or wait a year and see what the water looks like?
Old 07-06-2010
new and proud of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
One of my biggest fears may end up coming true... today they have found tar balls in Lake Ponchartrain for the first time since the oil spill. Here is the video in case anyone here lives in the area too and did not know about this...

First reports of oil in Lake Pontchartrain | wwltv.com | WWLTV.com News

Also here is another sad video, it seems these just never end...

msnbc.com Video Player

If it gets any worse in Lake Ponchartrain I am relocating to California because all I have left is the Lake. I lived in Louisiana all my life, BP and their greedy operation may force me to relocate. They destroyed my hometown and all the reasons I lived here. I really may have to leave my job, my life, everything behind and move. I hope they know they will pay for this! Those dirty no good SoBs!
Sailguy

Don't do anything crazy just yet. It's always darkest before the storm. Lets wait 6 months before making a life altering decision like that.
You still have a job and a place to live. That's more then a lot of your neighbors are going to have here shortly unless BP really does step up to the pump and pay peoples losses.
20 Billion is just a drop in the bucket though. It will take 5 or 6 times that to compensate folks in the Gulf.
Old 07-06-2010

@w1651 you are probably right. I do feel for all those people who no longer have a job or place to live, its a nightmare and those videos are sad. At the moment I can still sail and kayak in the lake but I just fear it could get worse. If it does, my company has a job opening in Hawaii and I can transfer. So most likely that is what I will do if it actually does come down to all the water here being restricted. You are right though, it really is too early to jump ship yet so I need to hang in there. If they at least get it stopped we will be on the right road.

@jonnyquest Love the boat name! Man that was my favorite cartoon growing up. I remember watching that all my early childhood, my mom would always put it on for me. I need to send my friend that pic of your boat, he will like it.

Last edited by sailguy40; 07-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2010
new and proud of it

Sail Guy

How are they saying the oil got up into the lake? Isn't that upstream from the Mississippi? I don't understand how it got there. what feeds the lake?
Old 07-06-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
It's not a 'true' Lake, since it's open to Mississippi Sound and the Gulf via two passes, the Chef and the Rigolets. These passes are deep because they're tidal. Therein lies the rub. The tide runs hard and it's difficult to contain all oil on an incoming tide.

I think it'll not be as bad as we fear, large globs may not get in, but smaller tarballs will. The latter are easier to clean up.

I swam at Pontchartrain Beach yesterday (you have to hop fences and floodwalls to get in, due to levee construction). Beautiful clean water, at least by Lake standards (the Lake was pretty bad 20 yrs ago, much much better now), so I hope I'm right about fairly minimal effect. I sail there (south shore) and would like to continue to swim there, beach or no.
Old 07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Sail Guy

How are they saying the oil got up into the lake? Isn't that upstream from the Mississippi? I don't understand how it got there. what feeds the lake?
nolatom sums it up, also here is a map showing the Rigolets which is where they say it entered...
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf of Mexico oil spill-rigolets.jpg