Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010

adamavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
.. Montreal had a quake last month. When was the last time that happened?
Every 10 years we get a lil rumble.. There was also a tornado 3 days after, it's 2012 coming early I tell ya!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Wow that often. I was not aware of that.

You really don't believe that 2012 thing do you?
I think the guy making the calender went on a lunch break. After lunch he goes into the jungle to relieve himself and POW! Bit right on his Butt. To Bad to. If it was his arm or leg someone would have sucked out the poison.

Did I mention the cap is holding?
Old 07-16-2010
Old Gringo

fjon is on a distinguished road
If this is valid, you can fughedabowdit. All of it. We'll all need a new plan.

Doomsday: How BP Gulf disaster may have triggered a world-killing event - by Terrence Aym - Helium

There is more to life than increasing its speed. ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. ~ Samuel Clemmons
Old 07-16-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjon View Post
If this is valid, you can fughedabowdit. All of it. We'll all need a new plan.

Doomsday: How BP Gulf disaster may have triggered a world-killing event - by Terrence Aym - Helium

Well, if we have six months left, at least I'll be able to see the end of the baseball season. But the bottom line is ....

Old 07-17-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
Far from over...
Cruisers on the Gulf....uh don't fire off those grills

WKRG.com News
Old 07-17-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
In

would definitely be interested in the retest clip if you see it..

I guess my only question is why do you all (we, too) have to learn this from a TV news person? Where is that infamous EPA group, and no Don I am not kicking them again... I just fail to understand what it IS that they do...?

During 9/11 they proclaimed with great authority that the air was good around the recovery site for months. it wasn't...

they recently proclaimed that the dispersant (corexit, I think?) was on their safe list and OK's it's use for BP....until they did use to the tune of several million gallons, then the EPA backed up and stopped it's use...

They have recently banned independent research ships, even a NOAA ship from looking for more leaks along the path of the Deep well, as well as the two recovery wells.

What do those folks do?

thanks for the clip...we don't get to see these kinds of things here in the Mid-atlantic. I would love to see that lady do a test of Chesapeake, Delaware, and LI sound - just for sanity sake....
Old 07-17-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
I will follow up when they do...

We here on the gulf have learned not to trust anyone envolved in this...

not our fault but their dishonesty is why...

Here is another organization that is doing independant testing..

WATER TESTING! You Can Help–DONATE! : Surfrider Foundation Emerald Coast Chapter
Old 07-17-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
In

I guess my only question is why do you all (we, too) have to learn this from a TV news person? Where is that infamous EPA group, and no Don I am not kicking them again... I just fail to understand what it IS that they do...?

During 9/11 they proclaimed with great authority that the air was good around the recovery site for months. it wasn't...

they recently proclaimed that the dispersant (corexit, I think?) was on their safe list and OK's it's use for BP....until they did use to the tune of several million gallons, then the EPA backed up and stopped it's use...

They have recently banned independent research ships, even a NOAA ship from looking for more leaks along the path of the Deep well, as well as the two recovery wells.

What do those folks do?

thanks for the clip...we don't get to see these kinds of things here in the Mid-atlantic. I would love to see that lady do a test of Chesapeake, Delaware, and LI sound - just for sanity sake....
Okay people I will explain it then.
I have been in business on my own for over five years now. In that time I have dealt with every thing and every one from Government to big business to small business to the individual.
From my many transactions and conversations with these people I can say with out delay or pause that the EPA or government in general is Around for one thing and one thing only.
To collect a paycheck!
That's it! It's not a conspiracy or a mystery wrapped inside a enigma. They just collect paychecks. They occasionally get in the way, screw things up, or completely aggravate with out discrimination but this is not their fault. They simply lack the skills necessary to be knowledgeable, courteous,or useful for that matter.
If they had them they would be in the private sector earning a living instead of sucking us dry and the air out of the room. This is how I know with certainty that the EPA (or all Gov Employees for that matter ) do not do anything they don't have or want to do.
They simply are there to collect a check and make our lives miserable through their lack of social skills and/or any work ethic.

I hope this cleared it up for you.

Last edited by w1651; 07-17-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2010

ericread is on a distinguished road
Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the celebrations. The pressure on the cap is building much more slowly than expected. This could mean that the oil is saturating the sub-surface rather than staying within the bore. If this doesn't resolve it self pretty quickly, BP will be forced to open the valves once again, releasing the oil once again into the gulf.

And no, the relief bore was never intended to become another production well. The relief well is being drilled for the express purpose of pushing mud and cement far into the bore, closing this well forever. BP would drill aother set of wells when they decide to put the oil resevoir into production. The existing bores are just too dangerous to continue in any production capacity.

Beleive it or not, BP really, really wants to cap this well and move on. The last thing they want to do is to prolong discussion of this disaster any longer than they have to.

Eric
Old 07-17-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
In

What do those folks do?

This is not an issue of semantics but just to state it correctly, there is no such thing as a safe dispersant and there is no such thing as a "safe list" okay to use.

EPA maintains a list of pre-approved dispersants which exists for only two purposes 1. - to cut down on the already paralyzing bureaucratic process for using a dispersant which inherently would preclude their use in a timely fashion if it is deemed appropriate by the OSC.
2. To avoid the snake oil salesman showing up at the CG's doorstep every oil spill trying to convince them to use their stuff (which also wastes everyone's time).

There is only one prerequisite for a company to have their product included in the list - a comprehensive chemical composition summary. EPA does not limit inclusion to this list in any way other than to ensure they now what the components are and instead leave the decision on use entirely up to the CG and their scientific support staff.
It is ultimately up to the discretion of the USCG OSC to allow dispersant use. EPA's pre-approved list serves only to limit the decision-making process timeframe as time is of the essence when one recognizes it's efficacy is entirely dependent on the oil being fresh by providing the chemical data to the decision-makers.

EPA or the CG never stopped their use but did, because it was being used in such vast quantities, ask BP to slow down the application rate which they did.

I know nothing about anyone banning research ships from exploration of the area and especially not NOAA which is part of the response team but I am aware of the CG's restrictions on sightseeing, news media et al who either present a danger, hazard or obstacle to on-going cleanup. By the way, the exclusion zone spans a grand total of 70 yards from on-going cleanup activities - personally, I find 70 yards hardly an impediment to news media access as they claim.

With respect to the WTC air monitoring, EPA's air sampling program was outside the perimeter of the building collapses and intended to monitor ambient air for the general public outside the perimeter.