Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericread View Post
With all due respect, this is absolute nonsense. President Obama originally annuonced opening of numerous tracts of offshore coastal areas for drilling. It was BP's gross ineptness that put a temporary halt to going forward with this.

As for the commission, please take a look at today's news.

"Obama's Spill Commission Unleashes a Shocker:

...But its second day-long session included a big surprise: Its co-chairmen -- former Florida Senator Bob Graham and William Reilly, former head of the Environmental Protection Agency under the first President Bush -- questioned the need for a six-month ban. In fact, Graham, who long fought against drilling off Florida's coast, said, "We're going to look over (the administration's) shoulder and have some comments to make as to whether we think the judgments they made are appropriate."

Hmmmm. Maybe the commission isn't as one sided as originally thought?

Obama's Spill Commission Unleashes a Shocker - Yahoo! News

Mostly it showed they didn't know much about what the situation was "on the ground" down here, nor what their mission was. Which is understandable, since they were appointed and instructed by an administration with the same tendencies.

And if they're so "non one-sided", then why do both the House and Senate want to appoint their own commissions rather than wait for this one to do its work?

I don't hear anyone rushing to the defense of the neutral non-partisan makeup of the commission's membership. Mostly I hear criticism from the middle and right for their being all "green" or politicos, or alternatively silence from those on the left who know their bread is already butter-side up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Boy, I sure hope that work picks up soon. I’m starting to think that I have too much time on my hands.

I don’t usually have a problem with coincidences. As long as there aren’t too many of them connected to a single event.
So I didn’t really have a hard time with the fact that “Eleven days prior to the April 20 Deepwater Horizon blowout, Halliburton Co., the contractor in charge of cementing the rig's well, agreed to purchase a little-known company. The firm, Boots and Coots, focuses on oil spill prevention and blowout response. Now, it is assisting with the relief well work – under contract to BP – to help stop the Gulf oil spill.

As oil firms grow, response may slow to crises like Gulf oil spill - CSMonitor.com

Halliburton Snaps Up Boots & Coots - DailyFinance

Then I discovered that Goldman Sachs sold about half of it’s stock in BP back in January and March of this year.
“Goldman sold 4.9 million shares across three separate funds — 58% of the bank's total holding”
Goldman Sachs beat oil spill debacle with BP shares sell-off | Business

Ok, now I’m getting interested. Then I read that “Tony Hayward cashed in about a third of his holding in the company one month before a well on the Deepwater Horizon rig burst, causing an environmental disaster.”
BP chief Tony Hayward sold shares weeks before oil spill - Telegraph

This many coincidences kind of bothers me. Still, I just can’t wrap my head around the concept that anyone or any group of people could have known and allowed or God forbid even precipitated this disaster.
But it goes on.
I discovered that “BP PLC and other big oil companies based their plans for responding to a big oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico on U.S. government projections that gave very low odds of oil hitting shore, even in the case of a spill much larger than the current one.
The government models, which oil companies are required to use but have not been updated since 2004, assumed that most of the oil would rapidly evaporate or get broken up by waves or weather”
BP Based Spill Plans on Outdated Government Models - WSJ.com

Now come on. As hot button a topic as off shore drilling is and the feds don’t update their models for six years in a region that is known to be environmentally sensitive?
Bet You Didn’t Know ~ Gulf of Mexico Scientific Knowledge Base Continually Expanding: The Environmental Studies Program Assists MMS In Its Mission Of Leasing, Regulating And Protecting Offshore Environment

That’s starting to stretch the limits of my credulity.

But on the other hand, I guess it’s like Rahm Emanuel said last November (hmmm): “You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before”.
Rahm Emanuel Quotes

I wonder who stands to gain here. Hmmmm. Maybe the Bilderberg group?
The Bilderberg Group, Bilderberg conference, or Bilderberg Club is an annual, unofficial, invitation-only conference of around 130 guests, most of whom are people of influence in the fields of politics, banking, business, the military and media. Each conference is closed to the public.
Bilderberg Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bilderberg names! Cabal peeks out from shadows

Naaaaa. Couldn't happen. Right?
Old 07-20-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Knot you had me until the Bilderberg group.

Why do I get the feeling this all goes back to that energy meeting in Cheney's office about 8 years ago. You know the one know one else was allowed into and know one took notes at. it is kind of funny how he was no where near Haliburton while in office but was right back in there when he left.

I will say this in Haliburtons defense though. BP did not pack the well casing with mud like they should have and used sea water instead. So I don't think you can blame Haliburton for this mess if the wells foundation was messed up from the git go.I think that Haliburton being there is just a coincidence.
As for Goldman Sacks they needed the money. They just got hit with a 550 million dollar fine for their actions leading up to the bank crisis. The SEC put the whammy down on them. though some think the amount was smaller then expected. I say it should be 1 billion to get their attention.
Old 07-20-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
Time to just sieze all of BP's assets...use there money to hire the worlds best people to stop this leak...BP has no clue how to do anything but lie...Time BP quit running our Coast Guard and our country..

Serious Jail time for ALL envolved from BP execs to politicians that allowed the lies and gave control of our Coast Guard to a private buisness......The Coast Guard is our HOMELAND SECURITY and they have FAILED miserably by allowing BP to dictate to them and ruin our Gulf(Homeland)...

From now on no more Coast Guard inspections for life jackets and flares...They have bigger fish to fry like MONTHLY OIL PLATFORM inspections...Then maybe they wont have to work for BP when they should ARRESTING BP for their crimes against our People and Gulf of Mexico..

grrrrr
Old 07-20-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Knot you had me until the Bilderberg group.
Bilderberg also discussed the emergence of a global carbon tax which will be paid directly to the United Nations. Tucker said it will be introduced to the public gradually such as a barely noticable tax at the gas pump, which will later be increase once it has been established.

.Bilderberg Elite Plan Economic Depression - Patriotic Resistance

I am reminded of a verse in an old song I once heard; “A man with a briefcase can steal much more money than any man with a gun!”
Here are the basics of the carbon tax and carbon credits, when you understand this tax and carbon credit system you will understand the enormous wealth it will produce, much greater wealth than oil has ever produced.
The carbon tax is pretty much an easy thing to explain; the United Nations has created several commissions to oversee the production of carbon and to tax earthlings based on the amount of carbon they produce.
One such commission is the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change). Simply put this organization was developed for the purpose of eventually taxing every living person for the carbon produced by their vehicle. There are many more commissions that will eventually tax us for the carbon we produce in every industry and aspect of life.
Now you can understand how this entire carbon tax is probably going to be the most lucrative business to ever be conceived by man. At the moment there is a small snag to this wonderful plan! It has not yet been declared a law by the biggest carbon producing countries, China and the United States.
In order for countries like the United States to adopt such an unpopular law there would have to be extenuating circumstances that would cause Americans to adopt such a law, say maybe scientists who lied about the reality of climate change! Or perhaps an oil spill that was so horrendous that the world finally totally turned on big oil!
Post oil spill Obama stated through his staff; “an energy deal must include some serious effort to price carbon as a way to slow climate change.”

Contain an Oil Spill BP Oil Leak Was It an Accident?

I'm just sayin.
Old 07-20-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Bilderberg also discussed the emergence of a global carbon tax which will be paid directly to the United Nations. Tucker said it will be introduced to the public gradually such as a barely noticable tax at the gas pump, which will later be increase once it has been established.

.Bilderberg Elite Plan Economic Depression - Patriotic Resistance

I am reminded of a verse in an old song I once heard; “A man with a briefcase can steal much more money than any man with a gun!”
Here are the basics of the carbon tax and carbon credits, when you understand this tax and carbon credit system you will understand the enormous wealth it will produce, much greater wealth than oil has ever produced.
The carbon tax is pretty much an easy thing to explain; the United Nations has created several commissions to oversee the production of carbon and to tax earthlings based on the amount of carbon they produce.
One such commission is the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change). Simply put this organization was developed for the purpose of eventually taxing every living person for the carbon produced by their vehicle. There are many more commissions that will eventually tax us for the carbon we produce in every industry and aspect of life.
Now you can understand how this entire carbon tax is probably going to be the most lucrative business to ever be conceived by man. At the moment there is a small snag to this wonderful plan! It has not yet been declared a law by the biggest carbon producing countries, China and the United States.
In order for countries like the United States to adopt such an unpopular law there would have to be extenuating circumstances that would cause Americans to adopt such a law, say maybe scientists who lied about the reality of climate change! Or perhaps an oil spill that was so horrendous that the world finally totally turned on big oil!
Post oil spill Obama stated through his staff; “an energy deal must include some serious effort to price carbon as a way to slow climate change.”

Contain an Oil Spill BP Oil Leak Was It an Accident?

I'm just sayin.
That is pretty cool!
Wish I was in on the UN profits.

But, should I buy BP tomorrow or wait for it to dip once more?
Old 07-21-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insails View Post
Time to just sieze all of BP's assets...use there money to hire the worlds best people to stop this leak...BP has no clue how to do anything but lie...Time BP quit running our Coast Guard and our country..

Serious Jail time for ALL envolved from BP execs to politicians that allowed the lies and gave control of our Coast Guard to a private buisness......The Coast Guard is our HOMELAND SECURITY and they have FAILED miserably by allowing BP to dictate to them and ruin our Gulf(Homeland)...

From now on no more Coast Guard inspections for life jackets and flares...They have bigger fish to fry like MONTHLY OIL PLATFORM inspections...Then maybe they wont have to work for BP when they should ARRESTING BP for their crimes against our People and Gulf of Mexico..

grrrrr

This is a bit extreme even for me sails. I do agree there needs to be harsh penalties from this but siezing assets is stronger then should be allowed.
There has to be a mandate for this type of disaster a long term mandate as well as short term.
BP keeps saying that they will pay for this. Well why does it take a guy put in charge months to just get on the job? Let's get this thing handled in a timely fashion using excisting law and holding peoples feet to the fire.
No more panels or commissions in Congress. Let's use the court system and then the Government to back up the decision made by them. I think it was once called the rule of law..
By the way where are the families of the men killed in this explosion? I haven't seen or heard any of the families. Are they working a deal with BP and have to be quiet about it?
Old 07-21-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen or heard any of the families. Are they working a deal with BP and have to be quiet about it?

I would imagine the lawyers have the "Gag" order on...

Why should we NOT sieze their assets...We sieze assets of other criminals...Drug dealers,users, scammers,hackers and DUI with injuries...

What makes BP above our laws????? They have lied and used deception from day one and their latest deception is PROOF they are no better than drug dealers...

now this BP Photoshops photo on its Web site; promises to replace altered version | al.com

The law would sieze your assets in a heartbeat for these type CRIMES

least we forget the USCG can sieze your boat if a passenger has any drugs onboard wheather you knew it or not....

Last edited by Insails; 07-21-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-21-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
While beaucoup Congressional committees and Presidential commissions strut and act important, the original hearing down here, conducted jointly by Coast Guard and MMS, has been quietly going about its business:

BP often chose to take chances, testimony says - Page 3 - NOLA.com

The local media have been much better than the national ones at bringing more light than heat to the table, it seems to me.
Old 07-21-2010

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insails View Post

grrrrr
Unfortunately, the response effort to this spill was basically mandated by congressional law that passed after the Valdez.

After the Valdez, everyone was so angry that tax money was being used to clean up the mess, that they passed a law saying companies had to clean up their own messes.

Then we got this thing, and the first month of response was basically us watching BP try to clean up their own mess. Because that's what congress told us to do, last decade.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.