Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
There is an AP article in today's St Pete Times citing the "plight" of hundreds of fisherman in the area who BP has been paying $1500/day (fifteen hundred dollars per day) for the past 3 months. Do the math.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2010
Wander

Ezzspike is on a distinguished road
Sadly the waterfront, marshes and beach in your part of the world are trashed for many years, mark my word. Solutions not politics will save the day, but acceptance of that idea is not here yet, and may not be with our leadership. No amount of "cleanup" or lawsuits is going to make it right

Don't disagree..but solutions here in Louisiana have be far and few between....the nation has no problem taking our natural resources and trashing the coast for the last 60 years but could case less in helping save the wetlands that use to protect us from hurricanes.. Hell at the rate we have been going Baton Rouge will be on the coast in 20 years
Old 08-01-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
There is an AP article in today's St Pete Times citing the "plight" of hundreds of fisherman in the area who BP has been paying $1500/day (fifteen hundred dollars per day) for the past 3 months. Do the math.
Don't believe everything you read in that rag they call a news paper. Your one of the few that still read it. Not to mention you used the two letters that are the poster child for useless media. AP ! They haven't reported real news but an agenda only for a long time.
The facts are on the local news here every night. Here's one in many.

Popular boat captain fights Bank of America over seizure | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com

This guy has done chartering for years around here. He is only one in a hole host of foreclosures around our beaches and area.
Old 08-01-2010

Interesting.

By the way, I misstated the attribution - it was a Reuters story which appeared in Tampa Herald...

Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Don't believe everything you read in that rag they call a news paper. Your one of the few that still read it. Not to mention you used the two letters that are the poster child for useless media. AP ! They haven't reported real news but an agenda only for a long time.
The facts are on the local news here every night. Here's one in many.

Popular boat captain fights Bank of America over seizure | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com

This guy has done chartering for years around here. He is only one in a hole host of foreclosures around our beaches and area.
Old 08-01-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

I would like to read that article. Please provide a link.

The only article in the Tampa Herald on Saturday that was related to the oil spill that I could find was this one.

Coastal oil fears dissipate | HeraldTribune.com
Old 08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I would like to read that article. Please provide a link.

The only article in the Tampa Herald on Saturday that was related to the oil spill that I could find was this one.

Coastal oil fears dissipate | HeraldTribune.com

Assuming it is similar to the hard copy newspaper, the article was on page 2. I could probably scan and email if you really need it.
Old 08-02-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Assuming it is similar to the hard copy newspaper, the article was on page 2. I could probably scan and email if you really need it.

If you could just post the name of the author and some actual key words, I could probably find it. I googled "plight" "hundreds of fishermen" "1500 dollars per day" and nothing came up.

I am very interested in reading the article. I live in the Saint Pete area and have heard nothing about this. Meanwhile, my business in on it's last legs and I am almost to the point of liquidating my equipment and inventory. So yeah, I kinda do need it.
Old 08-02-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Interesting.

By the way, I misstated the attribution - it was a Reuters story which appeared in Tampa Herald...

Now what?

Tampa doesn't have a Herald!
Old 08-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
If you could just post the name of the author and some actual key words, I could probably find it. I googled "plight" "hundreds of fishermen" "1500 dollars per day" and nothing came up.

I am very interested in reading the article. I live in the Saint Pete area and have heard nothing about this. Meanwhile, my business in on it's last legs and I am almost to the point of liquidating my equipment and inventory. So yeah, I kinda do need it.

Just retrieved it from the recycle bin.

The banner reads "As Cleanup Slows, Boats Idle" and says, in part, " Shortly after the spill began gushing more than 3 months ago, fishing was banned in vast areas of the Gulf and many of the local fisherman didn't know where their next paycheck would come from. Then came stability when BP started paying up to $1500 a day for fisherman to perform the gritty work of scooping gunk from the surface of the Gulf".

The article goes on to say that " at one point, there were as many as 1,600 vessels working for BP. That number has now dropped to 300".
Old 08-02-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I'm going diving a few miles off Pensacola on Sunday, and intend to swim off the beach afterwards, too, since I've heard it's pretty clean. Gotta support the mid-Gulf recreation industry as a civic duty, right?

Might as well "enjoy the present", since grousing on the internet isn't all that uplifting...

I'll report back, of course, with the results of this scientific research.

Okay, as promised...

Dived two sites, 8-10 miles SE of Pensacola ship channel, 100 feet and 80 feet, respectively. Then went for a swim off Perdido Key Beach, where the National Seashore is.

No visible oil anywhere, in the water or ashore (and I looked), plenty of fish everywhere, including large teeming groups of bait fish on surface. And if I drank any Corexit, it had neither taste nor side effects ;-)

So, if you're able, and inclined, to get away from your keyboards, come be a tourist on these beautiful and underpopulated shores with shops that need your business. Anything east of Orange Beach is a "go".