Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Just retrieved it from the recycle bin.

The banner reads "As Cleanup Slows, Boats Idle" and says, in part, " Shortly after the spill began gushing more than 3 months ago, fishing was banned in vast areas of the Gulf and many of the local fisherman didn't know where their next paycheck would come from. Then came stability when BP started paying up to $1500 a day for fisherman to perform the gritty work of scooping gunk from the surface of the Gulf".

The article goes on to say that " at one point, there were as many as 1,600 vessels working for BP. That number has now dropped to 300".
K1, Thank you.
For those interested here's a link to the article.

Idle fishermen fret as oil clean-up jobs disappear - St. Petersburg Times

K1, could you clarify the point you were trying to make by referencing this article?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
well, paying 1500$ a day and up to 1500 dollars a day have vastly different meanings

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 08-02-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I could see paying $1,500 a day for a vessel with crew. Even a small fishing boat with a single captain on board typically charges about $600 - $800 for an 8 hour fishing trip. If they are cleaning up oil, then they would need additional crew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
K1, Thank you.
For those interested here's a link to the article.

Idle fishermen fret as oil clean-up jobs disappear - St. Petersburg Times

K1, could you clarify the point you were trying to make by referencing this article?

Sure. Someone posted the following:
"We also have fisherman and charter boat captains having their boats repossessed all over this area. There just isn't any Tourism going on here anymore and the trickle down is affecting everyone."

and I thought the word "everyone" might not be totally objective given that it appears some might be profiting from this disaster.
Old 08-02-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
"We also have fisherman and charter boat captains having their boats repossessed all over this area. There just isn't any Tourism going on here anymore and the trickle down is affecting everyone."

and I thought the word "everyone" might not be totally objective given that it appears some might be profiting from this disaster.
I see.
I know that there are going to be a lot of people profiting from the disaster, like other oil companies, chemical companies like the ones who made the dispersant, lobbyists, Halliburton, lawyers, Goldman Sachs, Tony Hayward, etc. etc.
I doubt that the fishing industry is going to be on the list of those who profit from this.

Who's Set To Profit From The BP Oil Spill? The Gulf Coast 'Spillionaires' (PHOTOS)
Old 08-03-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:

Great article expressing the compensation of the La, Al, Ms, and Pensacola regions. However "everyone" meant the Tampa Bay Area here where I live unlike the region spoken of in the article. Perhaps I could have expressed that better in my post or you could invest in a map.
I own a business here in Pinellas county Florida and just like Knot I am feeling the squeeze as well. Not unlike other people here are either.
Maybe BP is compensating the peoples of the upper gulf regions which is admirable since I know they could buy their way out of it.
But here I can assure you I have not seen, met, or talked with anyone in business or on the water getting a dime from them. And it sickens me to see our eateries, charter boats, and way of life going to the wayside.
All due to a company that refused to stop and look at the safety risks involved and just slow down a little.
I don't have a problem that they drilled but how they went about it. We will bounce back but unfortunately some in this area already will lose and have lost everything.

Knot mail me here. I would like to see what you do.
Old 08-03-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Great article expressing the compensation of the La, Al, Ms, and Pensacola regions. However "everyone" meant the Tampa Bay Area here where I live

I think the article was clearly addressing the areas directly impacted by the spill, not Tampa, Miami, Boca, Melbourne, Jacksonville, etc... all of which are perceived to be impacted.
Old 08-03-2010
new and proud of it

Quote:
I think the article was clearly addressing the areas directly impacted by the spill, not Tampa, Miami, Boca, Melbourne, Jacksonville, etc... all of which are perceived to be impacted.

That is open for debate.
Old 08-03-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Old-School Oil Clean-Up
A worker scoops oil by hand in the Chinese port city of Dalian, where a spill of almost half-a-million gallons of crude on the northeast coast was, by week's end, reportedly under control.

Hey, whatever it takes

Old-School Oil Clean-Up - The Week's Best Photos: 7.30.10 - Photo Gallery - LIFE

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-04-2010
new and proud of it

Nice pic there dog! Get that man a pair of gloves....