Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Gulf of Mexico oil spill

any of you guys down in the gulf? while im sure news reports are always accurate... har-t-har har... just wondered if i could get a locals perspective on the situation, as it doesnt look good. from what i gathered if the latest attempt to shut that off fails, the next fix will take two weeks to even attempt!!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
There's talk of trying to burn it off, but supposedly they'd have to contain it with fireproof boom first?

Whether for booming, containment, or skimming/recovery offshore, the forecast for end of this week is really the worst, strong onshore winds and high seas Fri and Sat at least:

National Weather Service Marine Forecast

Hard to contain anything in those seas. The river delta, Breton Sound areas are in the cross-hairs in SE wind, and Miss. Sound in S wind. I hope they can get the BOP to close, because the other possible solutions would take much longer. Hurricane season starts June 1, by the way.

This is such a boring town to live in.....
Old 04-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Any way you look at this, it ain't good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Has there been any speculation about sabotage/bombing yet?

I mean, besides by me?

Monrovia, MD
Old 04-28-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post

I mean, besides by me?
uhhh... maybe the john birch society? lol... j/k

Ive never heard of the 'burn off' method ever being attempted before... esp. considering at 20 mi offshore it could wash up afire! oh wait, they are going to corral the thicker stuff and tow it out.... sounds like an idea that Dr. Klodge (the PO of my boat) would come up with....

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 04-28-2010

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
A flyover on Tuesday, April 27 at 5:00 p.m. (CST) showed a rainbow sheen approximately 600 miles in circumference with areas of emulsified crude. The edge of the sheen is approximately 23 miles off the coast of Louisiana.

More than 76,580 feet of boom (barrier) has been assigned to contain the spill. An additional 167,220 feet is available and 385,080 feet has been ordered.

To date, the oil spill response team has recovered 6,206 barrels (260,652 gallons) of an oil-water mix. Vessels are in place and continuing recovery operations.

70 response vessels are being used including skimmers, tugs, barges and recovery vessels.

64,748 gallons of dispersant have been deployed and an additional 110,960 gallons are available.

Five staging areas are in place and ready to protect sensitive shorelines. These areas include:

Biloxi, Miss., Pensacola, Fla. Venice, La., Pascagoula, Miss., and Theodore, Ala.
Old 04-28-2010

Release date: 26 April 2010
BP is accelerating offshore oil recovery and continuing well control efforts in Mississippi Canyon Block 252 (MC252) following improvements in weather conditions in the Gulf of Mexico yesterday.

"The safety of the people working offshore is our top priority and the improved weather has created better conditions for our response," said BP Group Chief Executive Tony Hayward. "This, combined with the light, thin oil we are dealing with has further increased our confidence that we can tackle this spill offshore."
BP, operating with the U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies, has launched its comprehensive, pre-approved oil spill response plan following the April 22 sinking of the Transocean Deepwater Horizon drilling rig 130 miles south-east of New Orleans.

According to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) experts participating in the spill response, the spill is "very thin" and consists of "97 per cent sheen."

In Houma, Louisiana where the field operations response is being coordinated, more than 1,000 personnel on and offshore are deployed to coordinate the oil spill response.
BP, as lease operator of MC252, also continues to work below the surface on Transocean’s subsea equipment using remotely operated vehicles to monitor the Macondo/MC252 exploration well, and is working to activate the blow-out preventer.

The Transocean drilling rig Development Driller III will arrive on location today to drill the first of two relief wells to permanently secure the well. A second drilling rig, Transocean’s Discoverer Enterprise, is en route.
Old 04-28-2010

I sail the Mississippi Gulf coast out of Bay St. Louis and I'm not real concerned about this (97% sheen) Oil spill right now.
If you like yur crab legs dipped in butter then there may be a silver lining to the oil spill...
I'm kind of hoping for changing wind conditions soon!!
Old 04-28-2010

sahara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post

I mean, besides by me?
None whatsoever that I've heard. In deep, overpressured wells, well control is always an issue. Add that the BOP equipment is 5,000' under the rig floor, and stuff gets complicated.

In the 1980's I was MMS (minerals management service) certified for well control supervision for both surface and subsea stacks, but at the time we were dealing with a few hundred feet of water depth. Nothing at all like the water depths they are dealing with here.

It certainly appears that either the pipe rams are closed or the well has bridged off, because if it was wide open it would be spewing a lot more oil and gas. I suspect that the current attempts to work the BOP are to close the shear rams, designed to sever the drill pipe and completely close in the well. Success will depend on how much junk is around the wellhead, and whether the well control equipment has been damaged by falling debris.

If closing the shear rams is successful, then there would be a lingering concern about pressure buildup from gas under the wellhead while awaiting kill operations.

This is terribly sad, 11 men have lost their lives, and their families have lost husbands and fathers. We must certainly hope that environmental damage can be minimized.
Old 04-28-2010

The last I've been told,

Valve was damaged, does not look good.

Looks like they may have to use the containment domes.