Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010

hlmffsailmaker is on a distinguished road
A Question for higher clew ?

Hi all
I've installed a bowsprit on my sail boat ,and I would like to have an asymmetric spinneker,just an information "what is the difference having an higher clew?"
thank you first!
Best regards !
Old 04-30-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Less sail area, more visibility.
Old 04-30-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
A lot of times offshore cruising boats will design their heavy weather sails with a high clew to reduce the chance of catching a wave in the foot of the sail and damaging the sail or the boat with the impact. This is especially important on sails that you are likely to use when close reaching in big seas.

In the case of an assymetrical spinnaker, the usual reasoning does not apply. You do see high clews on some assymetrics in order to be able to get a decent sheet lead angle to the position of the sheet block.

A high clew will impact performance negatively in that it does reduce sail area and also reduces the end plate effect of the deck to near zero.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
But having a high clew on an asym often means you can see under it more readily and not have a huge blind spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-03-2010

hlmffsailmaker is on a distinguished road
thank you all guys
Old 05-03-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I don't understand why having a higher clew necessarily reduces sail area. It depends on what direction the clew moves.

If the clew moves straight up, i.e., gets closer to the luff, then yes, the sail area will be reduced. Similarly, if you take a deck-sweeping headsail and move the clew up the leach of the sail, then cut off the cloth below, area will obviously be lost.

On the other hand, if the clew is moved up and aft, parallel to the luff---in other words, the sail is skewed upwards---the sail area should remain constant.

Proof: imagine cutting the sail into strips parallel to the luff. Shift each strip up by an amount proportional to its distance from the luff. Resew where the strips meet. You have a new sail with a higher clew and the same area (pretending for a second that you haven't destroyed the camber).

It's easy to see how this applies to a flat-cut jib, but in general, skew transforms preserve area. Sail area is roughly equal to luff x LP / 2.

I don't have any idea how a high-clew headsail is geometrically different from its low-clew counterpart, though. But I also don't see any reason not to have the clew of a high-clew sail farther aft, other than interference from the mast when tacking, which is a problem with low-clewed headsails anyway.
Old 05-03-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Here is the deal on that, most boats have a fixed range of positions for thier jib lead. If the sail remains the same sail area, then as the clew rises the lead would need to move aft, and so off the tracks and eventually off the aft end of the boat.

But also as the clew moves moves aft, the sail loses efficiency, losing both in terms of loss of endplate effect, and also often becoming a lower aspect ratio sail.

While these sails are generally not employed on race boats, cruisers need sails that work across as broad a wind range as possible since they do not carry big sail inventories or the crews to make sail changes. With lower efficiency comes more heeling and leeway and so the need the reduce sail sooner.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 05-03-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I see your points about jib sheet lead---especially for jibs over 150%---and loss of end plate effect, but maintaining LP while moving the clew should mean that aspect ratio remains constant.