Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
good for you JG!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2010

aqwert5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruer View Post
Well we did at least 2 uncontrolled gybes (is that really how you spell that) with novices on the wheel. Denise, I would sail again in a heartbeat. But not with that guy.
Was this during the open house at OCSC yesterday? Just curious because I sent a couple of friends there yesterday.

I was going to take them out with me for a couple of hours today but thought better of it since they really don't like deep water much . so sent them out with professionals to ensure a good experience (I'm a newbie as well).

Just curious.

Dave
Old 05-03-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I would sure love to hear more details about this "3 hour tour"

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I would sure love to hear more details about this "3 hour tour"
Denise, you make some very good points. While I thought that your original post was a bit strong, the more that jgruer fills in the blanks, the more I am inclined to agree with you on all your points.

I was taught that good skippers should always consider the experience, abilities and comfort levels of their crew when thinking about rough weather sailing. jgruer is well advised to avoid this character in the future.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 05-03-2010
Low Salt Diet Sufferer

kulokoo is on a distinguished road
I think the strictly factual answer to the question of whether a Hunter 31 can be swamped is: Yes, of course. Same is true for capsizing - "tipping".

Heeling (leaning) even 90 degrees does not mean the boat is necessarily in any trouble, but it should be noted that any boat can be swamped or even sunk. This should be said so that someone doesn't go buying the guy's Hunter 31 and set sail for Tahiti thinking they are impervious to the sea. The sea demands respect and will take it one way or the other.

It doesn't sound like there was too much danger of swamping or capsizing in those conditions, probably a bigger danger was that someone go overboard and get separated from the boat.

Was it fun despite the anxiety? A bit of salt water still in you?

A little presentation / primer on offshore safety factors: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...r/offshore.ppt
Old 05-03-2010
1934 Chickering

I'm just perceptive Mark!

My boat is for sale.

Old 05-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've got to side with Denise. Her point about a captain having a responsibility to make his guests comfortable is key. My father told me when I was learning to drive that my primary responsibility as a driver was to take care of my passengers, since they were entrusting their lives to me as my passengers. The same is true of people on a boat and the captain.

One sailing instructor I know got fired for pulling something similar. They had a complete novice out with them in a J/24 and were sailing it in 20 knot winds, heeled over 40˚ and with a complete disregard for the fact that their newbie student COULDN'T SWIM. When I pointed out to the sailing program's head instructor what this person had done to that student, the instructor in question got canned.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-28-2011

swiftibis is on a distinguished road
I've owned a Hunter 31 for 4 years now. It's a bit tender with the iron keel but tens to be quite stiff after the rail is buried. However I did once take water in the cockpit due to a strange wind-wave interaction. The rest of the time the boat has been very dry, and I hardly ever bury the bow.
Old 03-28-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
JG, I'm glad you didn't get spooked from sailing again. Your skipper was an #)#)#)!!!

Was everybody wearing PFD's, harnesses? When you were sailing around in circles, out of control, was the skipper providing instruction of any kind?
Old 03-28-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
too bad. I was also in the "geeze Denise!" crowd until there was more info... SF Bay, particularly the slot between Alcatraz and the city front in an ebb tide is not a body of water to be trifled with. Uncontrolled gybes and tacks are not an option on a boat with beginners and non-sailors on board.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.