SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any windsurfers out there?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wavetrust25 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Moonie,
I have my boat out on Joe Pool Lake in Grapevine. The deal on Craig's list is GREAT! Even if you don't use the boards often, $200 for two w/spares is exceptional.
We have a "One design" windsurfer on the dock with our boat and use it all the time. The winds we've been having these past few weeks have been a blast. With a harness, the smaller sails and the small waves the board hops right up on plane and flies.. 20+ knots steady wind is a real thrill. A "long board" (the BIC) will work in all conditions..even the relative calm days. A short board has less displacement so it will need more wind... but with the choices presented with this deal, I think you've got money in the bank.

If you're a novice, contact Mariner Sails in Dallas
Mariner Sails, Inc. On-line Hobie Cats Windsurfers Kayaks
for some lessons and plan on getting wet until you get the whole balance thing down. Since you likely understand the principals of sailing it won't take too long to learn.

#4 ·
Wind surfing is fairly simple compared to para surfing. Took wind surfing lessons in Aruba years ago. A few simple lessons and you get the hang of it in a half hour. Then, practice makes perfect.

To steer, it helps to understand the concept of center of effort vs. center of lateral resistance.

#5 ·
Great fun, steep learning curve, hard on the body, especially when feeling your way into it. Taught me a lot about trim, balance, and points of sail -- tho the adjustments aren't as refined as a sailboat's. Also, throwing a rooster tail during a jibe is just fun.:)

Harness & PFD mandatory. Water shoes advised. If your water is cold, wear one wetsuit warmer than you think you need. The apparent wind on a sailboard will strip the heat right out of you. Oy, they are a riot.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.