Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
Talking Concrete Catch

Hi All I am looking at a concrete catch that was built by Jean Luc Foriter. He built it in 1972 in Canada and it sailed till 2000. He sailed it to France two times and said that it would make 150 NM a day. I asked him how to fix the bad areas on the hull and he said that Epoxy past and paint would do that. I did not see any major damage on the hull. I think that the boat could be restored to sailing condition. It is a 36 foot catch with Volvo diesel 25 HP. I,m sure that it would be a big project. I'm not up on concrete boats, any info would be appropriated. I have pictures but I,m not smart enough to post them. We went to the boat and looked it over very good this time. We found that it is in bad shape. The steel under the concrete is rusting and cracking in places. That could be fixed, but in the stern there was two large frame plates that was eat up with rust that was also cracking the hull. I think the boat is on life support ,but would make a good fishing reef. I thought that I might make an offer of $2000.00 seal all the rust with Osfro and go sail for about two years then part it out. Then I remembered that I was old and fat and could only swim about a 100 YDS. In the day it was a great boat and it sailed 33,841 miles in 38 years. I think that if I were to build a boat like that today i would coat all the steel frame with Epoxy paint then add the concrete, it may last 60 or 70 years then.

Last edited by smillinjack; 05-08-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: up date
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Look up ferro cement boats

It something that has been done right a FEW times but mostly done wrong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Good luck with catching the ketch.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 05-04-2010

fordo is on a distinguished road
There is a lot of info on ferrocement boats, nearly all bad. I would walk away.
Old 05-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most ferrocement boats, at least in the US, were poorly built and not very seaworthy or durable. They are difficult to get insured. Like any boat in bad shape, it probably has an actual negative value—that it would cost more to restore to good working order than it is worth.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-07-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
concrete KETCH --run like scalded dog!!!!

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Technically, that would be:

FERROCEMENT KETCH —run like a scalded dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
concrete KETCH --run like scalded dog!!!!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Ferrocement or cement one floats slightly longer.marc
Old 05-08-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC2012 View Post
Ferrocement or cement one floats slightly longer.marc
...but only slightly.
Old 05-09-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jack, if it has been a paperweight or a garden planter for the past ten years, read between the lines: There's something WRONG WITH IT.

Unless you want to take a bath, or try to become an overnight expert in the field of ferrocement boats, just assume an oddball boat is an oddball boat and there is some great and mystic reason why 99.9999% of the boating world will have nothing to do with them.