Dirty question: do you put toilet paper in the head? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Dirty question: do you put toilet paper in the head?
Yes 65 77.38%
No 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Yes and with no restrictions. We've been boating and following this unrestricted use for 12 years and have only had to unplug the head once and that is when the daughter of one of my friends flushed a tampax. 10 minute job to unbolt the connection and retrieve the tampax, but wouldn't you know it, she didn't want it back!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2010

BobS2 is on a distinguished road
As long as the paper gets good and wet, no problems so far. I tell guests to flush the solids then use the paper and flush again. Two minor flushes instead of a whole bowl full of nasty. 25 year old Raritan (knocking on porcelain). But then I also tell them to make sure to use the can in the marina before we go out.
Old 05-04-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
I shudder to think what you do with it otherwise!

Ten years on the current boat & head and have been using the "traditional" method of disposal without incident the whole time.

"I'll be glad to help you with those dock lines on return - but don't hand me that stinkin' bag your holdin' "
Old 05-05-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Flush TP without issue.

When new crew or guests come on board, and periodically for frequent guests, I make the following speech:

"Consider the size of the hoses and valves. See this (show joker valve)? Everything has to go through it. In the event that you clog the head by using too much toilet paper I will happily stand in the door to the head and pass you tools and advice while you clear it."

Only one clog in four years, and that from someone who demonstrably had no clue at all.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-05-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
I shudder to think what you do with it otherwise!
Ditto.

Boatload of kids. Never had any problems flushing tp.

The toilets are designed to handle tp. Paper is easier for them to handle than most things you've eaten.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-05-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
plastic bag it and take it to shore just like the even stinkier bag of garbage--tp is no stinkier than is regular garbage--i feed the biodegradable stuff to fishies and burdees while at sea and punch holes in the metal items needing disposal--someone has to return the metals and metal salts to the earth--but never let it float!!! i double bag everything and there is no stink in the boat---the fuel docks and places to stopover always have garbage and trash containers so isnt a problem--even in mexico and virgin islands.....the boatsafe tp is sooo easily broken down as to be useless in its assigned job---therefore i never buy it--i choose the big job tp--charmin ultra strong mega rolls lol.....doesnt fall apart in hand....that is not fun. i have lived on board since 1990----and the WORST thing i have ever found was boat safe tp.

nothing goes into the head on my boat hasnt been ingested first.....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-05-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
15 years. No clogs. Always flush. We only use marine grade/rv grade TP. It dissolves quickly. Not as good as your friendly Charmin, but dissolves better.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-05-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I wonder how many who flush tp live on their boats?

Old 05-05-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
I wonder how many who flush tp live on their boats?
Cruisingdad lives on his boat.

I've never been permanent live-aboard. I've done several multi-month stints, but the longest I've lived aboard continuously was about 3 months. We typically had a crew of 5-8 on board with that single head. So it got used plenty and the one time it ever had trouble was with a feminine product from a guest (language barrier). TP -- never an issue.

On our current boat much the same -- lots of kids and guests, all flushing with tp. No problems.

I don't subscribe to the "only what comes out of you" rule. Like I said, soft pliable tp is not nearly as challenging for the plumbing as some of what exits your body. Ask Sailhog.

Sorry, but the whole "bagging" idea makes me gag. To each their own, I suppose.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Sorry, but the whole "bagging" idea makes me gag. To each their own, I suppose.
I know what you mean, but the "house rule" when we sail the Caribbean (and are anchored in shallow areas) is that you use the bag... it's remarkable what a person can get used to!

It's not so bad, and as long as you seal the bag and you're careful to make regular 'garbage runs' when you can there's no more residual odor than when flushing the works....

btw here at home it's flushed - the only head disassembly we've had to do was for excessive human contribution (talk about YUK) and another time a niece accidentally flushed a clothespeg.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-05-2010 at 10:11 AM.