Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
I would agree with Tim on this, most of the responses were that a Catalina is great for the lakes. Pretty good on SF Bay for that matter. Must be a SF thing!

Oh, I sail a C34 and Tim a Bene so we kind of like production boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I am referring to the comments denigrating the three Catalina boats that were the subject of the original posting. To make blanket statements about their unsuitability for the Great Lakes is to ignore the fact that hundreds of Catalina’s sail the lakes each year with great success. That is why I suggested to the OP that he contact people who actually sail Catalina’s every day on all of the great lakes than to listen to people who obviously have no real experience sailing that line of boat.
Old 05-10-2010

George, I think you need to re-read the posts on this subject. The only person that seemed at all nervous about the Catalina was the original poster and therefore he asked the question. His answers were all positive as to what works, and then it got off into seperate questions but no bashing.This thread has actually been a pleasure because there was a lack of CataBeneHunter bashing. It certainly happens here, but not as much as it used to.
Old 05-13-2010

Today is one of those days that you could be sailing down the middle of the lake, but you are going to be very uncomfortable based on the mid lake bouys. Rain coming down hard, winds only 10-20 Kts dependent on where you are, water temp 39.7, air temp 41, wind chill 35.
Actually not bad in August when the air temp is 80 +, just warm and wet. This time of year, hypothermic!
Old 05-14-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
Today is one of those days that you could be sailing down the middle of the lake, but you are going to be very uncomfortable based on the mid lake bouys. Rain coming down hard, winds only 10-20 Kts dependent on where you are, water temp 39.7, air temp 41, wind chill 35.
Actually not bad in August when the air temp is 80 +, just warm and wet. This time of year, hypothermic!
I.E. a nice day out.
Old 05-14-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If I were to give any advice about boats for the big lakes, I'd think long, skinny and deep for a hull form. There are a lot of good makers new and used that will give a comfortable and safe ride, but shape is the first consideration, IMO. I'd rather have a smooth albeit wet ride than slam from wave to wave.
Any production/classic-plastic boats that would fit this description?
Old 07-01-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Any production/classic-plastic boats that would fit this description?
what length are you looking at?
Old 07-17-2010

QUIETRIOT is on a distinguished road
Great Lakes Sailing

I have sailed the Great Lakes since the 1970's. I have sailed many miles in a Columbia 22, Catalina 25, Catalina 27 and a Hunter31 with no problems. I have been caught out in many storms with winds gusting ove 60mph. I have made quite a few passages in excess of 100 miles. I think what you need to do is find a boat that is in good condition and do a little research, there a few boats manufactured that I would not even look at. I think that you will find that dockage is going to be your biggest problem as there is basically none to de found in T.C. Depending on the number of people in your party you may want to consider something with a trailer. Happy sailing!