Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010

freddyray is on a distinguished road
roller furler issues

bought a 17 ft Siren end of last year and it came with a roller furler. When unfurling the sail it gets hung up about half way out and binds up. We have to go forward to straighten it out. It furls back up nicely just like it should, but does not want to unfurl. It is the type that attaches behind the forestay and is drawn up with a halyard. My only though is at the head perhaps the top of the swivel is not holding steady allowing the bottom to swivel and at some point the halyard is twisted up as tight as it will. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
freddyray,

I'm not certain that the Siren 17 came from the factory with a roller furler or if it is likely that a previous owner installed one on your boat. I have even seen some home made furling devices that work fairly well on smallish boats (MacGregor 26 for example).
The brand name roller furlers (Harken, Furlex, ProFurl, CDI etc) all require some kind of annual lubricating of the moving parts. Perhaps that is what is hanging up your sail or perhaps it is as you suggested and the jib halyard is getting twisted up on top (may need some lubricating of the rotating top part).
If your furler has a brand name that may help someone diagnose your problem.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyray View Post
bought a 17 ft Siren end of last year and it came with a roller furler. When unfurling the sail it gets hung up about half way out and binds up. We have to go forward to straighten it out. It furls back up nicely just like it should, but does not want to unfurl.
Until recently, I didn't realize that furlers could be installed on smaller boats. However, both Schaefer and Harken now advertise units for smaller boats.

Your problem sounds very similar to the problem that we have with our Schaefer unit, so I'll pass along the very sound advice that I received from SD: have a rigger check for damage to the forestay from halyard wrap. It turns out that it wasn't a problem for us, but the inspection confirmed that the problem was in the drum itself.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about the sort that has no extrusion between the top and bottom swivels? That is, nothing makes them turn together except the jib luff itself? My former boat, a Spirit 23, had one of those when i first got it.

First, make sure both swivels turn freely. If they do, make sure you've got plenty of halyard tension. Also make sure your furling line is long enough and not over wrapping.

But in all honesty, that style doesn't work very well. I would either lose it entirely and go to a hanked on headsail, or replace it with something with an extrusion. I replaced mine with a CDI FlexFurl, which being far from perfect, was still a vast improvement.
Old 05-07-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like an old Schaefer.
Old 05-08-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor50 View Post
Sounds like an old Schaefer.
If you're talking about my furler, you nailed it! We have a new Harken on order.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 05-08-2010

freddyray is on a distinguished road
It came factory with the roller furler. The boat is over at the lake so I will need to get the name brand. I have tried it with both jibs and it does it with both jibs. I have lubed it and as I said it furls great just doesn't unfurl all the way.