SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Idle or kill motor when under sail?

6K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
So I was told that I should keep the motor idling in neutral when under sail. The reason given to me is that keeping the motor running will prolong its life. However, this is a little counter-intuitive to me, as the more hours you put on a motor, the less life it has left.

Sure, having the engine power is nice when raising and lowering the main, at the start and end of a cruise. But do you really need to keep the motor idling all the time when you're out sailing for 5 or 6 hours at a time?

#2 ·
Shut the diesel off when sailing. Prolonged idling is not good for a diesel. In fact when you start it try to run it at speed for at least a few minutes to get it to full temperature.
Maybe the confusion is what to do with the transmission. Letting the prop spin free is supposed to cause a little less drag but some transmissions will wear unless locked in reverse, check your manual.

Definitely do not leave the diesel running when sailing at it interferes with the illusion that we are real sailors rather than motor sailors.

#3 ·
Why would you do that. It puts excessive hours on the engine, leads to the engine getting carbon buildup since it is idling, etc... This is really a bad idea. Idling the motor for long periods of time is just STUPID.

Whoever told you doesn't know donkey crap about diesel engines or sailing IMHO.

The only time you might do something like this is if you're entering a narrow channel or fairway and might need the engine in a hurry if the wind dies—then it makes sense...but to do it when sailing in open waters is ridiculous.

Reactions: fordo
#16 ·
...The only time you might do something like this is if you're entering a narrow channel or fairway and might need the engine in a hurry if the wind dies-then it makes sense...but to do it when sailing in open waters is ridiculous.
Exactly what I do. The engine makes for a great "plan B", if something happens.

If it's already started when I enter a harbor, then there's no "will it start" worries, and it's ready to put in gear at a moment's notice.

Other than that, the only time to run the engine is when you are motoring or docking.

Regards,
Brad

#4 ·
The Yanmar people at Mack Boring suggest that you run the diesel at cruising speed(80% of max.rpm) for a few hours a couple of times a season. This fully heats the oil and burns off any moisture in the oil. Idling will not do that. This procedure counteracts the water that condenses in the oil when you only run the engine a few minutes at a time.
Besides, one of the great moments of a sail happens when the sails are up, the boat starts to heel and you shut off the engine and listen to the wind and the water.

#5 ·
No, shut it down for the reasons stated above.

What model transmission do you have? That will effect whether you should leave it in neutral or reverse when sailing (with the engine off of course). The only thing that this effects is whether the prop is spinning or not. On some transmissions, the oil pump doesn't work in neutral so you don't want to let the prop freewheel.

#7 ·
Not particularly...idling any internal combustion engine for long periods of time is generally a bad idea. Also, if you kill the engine, you can often raise it up out of the water, reducing the boat's drag and increasing the speed you can reach under sail. I have a 20 HP Honda outboard and when I lift it out of the water, I pickup almost a knot of boat speed, if not a bit more.

#11 ·
Run your engine for about a half hour once a week and that should be all the exercise that it needs.
When under sail you really don't want to hear that engine running or pay for the fuel being used. Or you would have bought a sink pot to travel the water ways on.

#12 ·
Idle or kill motor when under sail?
No, do not idle it, run it at cruising RPM in gear.
As the sun is very aggressive on your sails. So you will best protect them if you leave the sails covered. Even better - leave the sails at home to save some weight.
Also remove the mast and running rigging (and the keel - it is rally useless).
And by the way, you need much stronger engine. Min. 200 HP.
Who needs the sails if you can zoom much faster with an engine.

OK, all joking aside: Sailing is to me about being one with nature, feeling the breeze on your face, listening to the sound of wind and waves, escaping the noisy city. It is about fine tuning the sails and get that extra 0,1 knot of speed or 2 deg. wind angle - the wind will tell you when it is just right, but you have to listen. It is about having a glass of wine with your significant other in a solitary anchorage.
It is a lot more.

The guy, who told you to motor was a power-boater, an outboard engine salesman or someone who envies you that you sail.

Shut the smelly thing down and enjoy sailing.

#14 ·
I like the first part of Tomaz's answer the best! That is the way to do things, who needs a stick and sails, when you can motor! yep..........

Anyway, you asked this question why?!?!?!?!?!?!

I do admit, in light airs, sails are not quite doing the trick, I need/want to get somewhere sooner than later, I will raise the main, motor also. The main in light winds, say 2-5 or there abouts, will make it so you do not bounce in other boats wakes as much as if you were just motoring, as the sail will induce some heel for a better ride, other wise, shut the stink/noisepot off!

Marty

#21 ·
Some of us have to keep the diesel running all the time even racing just to power the hydraulics. ]

If your vessel is not over one hundred feet in lenght, why do you need hydraulics? Have run vessels up to that size with steering chains alone.
May need the engine to power the anchor windless and to hoist sails but then the rest are luxery items.

#23 ·
actually the question was why do you need and engine?? Have sailed 26 ft knockabouts with no engine and put those boats where some people couldn't put their power boat...And sailed out of that tight place. Though I will admit that there are places where you do need an engine... But are those places really worth going to??

#29 ·
The point is that when the sails are visibly deployed, you will be seen as a sailboat and treatede as a sailboat. Not a powerboat.

Unless you've hoisted the proper day shapes and someone recognizes them.

Used to be you had to BUY COLREGS to find out these things. Nowadays all the regs, state and federal alike, are free on the internet and most of the state regs are handed out for free at boat shows and other venues.

It ins't hard, or costly, to get comprehensive answers to this stuff. Or, to take a boating safety course and get a LOT of the blanks filled in while meeting other local boaters. (Typically, $45/half day course, with a certification that gets you insurance discounts and more.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.