Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Delivery Captain insurance

How common is it for a professional delivery captain to carry their own insurance to cover any damage they might do to the vessel? At least, to cover the deductible on the insurance. My deductible is roughly the cost of the crew, so I suppose I could withhold payment if they smash it into a dock along the way. However, it seems they should be responsible for any out of pocket if they damage the boat.

What is the typical way to deal with a delivery captain causing damage while under command?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
You can insure your license....
MOP is one insurance group that does so. It also depends on the company you're working for and if you trust them to have your back. If you don't then Hunt up the insurance policy that is best for your.
One minor detail: Though I have sailed all of my adult life. I have never felt the need to insure my own license and I quit the one company that I felt strongly about them endangering my crew and my own safety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 05-12-2010
Lookin' for an excuse ...

TLombardi is on a distinguished road
I asked that same question some years ago when I delivered boats for a living. At the time, I was told maritime law puts the onus on the owner to insure the boat. I never could find anything on that, so if we have any legal experts out there, I sure would like to have a definitive answer to the question.

Tony
Old 05-13-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
The guy in the slip next to me last year moonlights as a delivery skipper, I really don't think he carries insurance.

Old 05-13-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
The guy in the slip next to me last year moonlights as a delivery skipper, I really don't think he carries insurance.
Most seem to have another day job, even if it remains within the industry. They must assume liability if they damage the boat. If the insurance company has to cough up, it seems like they would try to collect from whomever was actually responsible.

When they pay your bills to fix your car after an accident, they pursue the offender to get their money back.

Maritime law can be unique, so I wonder.