Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CapitainMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010

outdooress is on a distinguished road
San Diego : Med mooring assist?

I need some help finding someone with something, and I thought this forum might be able to point me in the right direction... In a couple weeks I am going on Charter in Croatia. My vessel is a 50' monohull with a bow thruster. What I am trying to do is find a boat that has a bow thruster and a captain that would take me out and show me the nuances of using one doing a Mediterranean mooring, in San Diego or in the vicinity of SoCal.

I called Seaforth Marine and the member price to accomplish that is $500 for 2 hours, which is way out of my budget! Do you know anyone who might be able to accommodate my request? Of course I am willing to pay for time/expertise/gas etc. The boat does not have to a 50-footer, just something with a bow thruster, really.

I am a very experienced bareboat charter captain (plus a USCG Captain), but it has been about 10 years since I have been in the Med and had to perform this maneuver (and never with a bow thruster) in a tiny European harbor with dignity intact and I would like to practice.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2010

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
You might want to call the Island Packet dealer in San Diego. They have a few 35+ boats with bow thrusters and may be willing to "demo" a boat to you and show you how great they are to have. Worth a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 08-01-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
If you did it before without a bow thruster what is the issue? Ignore the silly thing and just stuff the boat in.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2010

sigmasailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If you did it before without a bow thruster what is the issue? Ignore the silly thing and just stuff the boat in.
Agreed, you don't need a bow thruster for med mooring.
You have to able to decide when to drop your anchor (maybe you have to carry out some practice runs the first couple of times; you're not the only one. It's just a matter of slowly backing in, dropping the anchor at the right time, let go of the chain matching the speed of going backwards, set your anchor just before you hit the dock and make fast. Adjust chain to be able to comfortably leave the boat. If the anchor doesn't hold (that does happen) redo from start with some more chain. Keep enough speed going backwards to control you boat, too slow is no go as is too fast. Just slow enough to feel that the boat is still responding to the rudder is good.
The real challenge is the untangling of anchors you will catch when leaving the next morning.

Last edited by sigmasailor; 08-01-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2010

outdooress is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice! It went very smoothly, more so than I anticipated. And FYI for those traveling to Croatia and is concerned about the same in the future: They use lazy lines at nearly every town quay or marina -- much easier than anchoring or later un-tangling. Timing, as with any line in the water, is key to no foul the prop.

fair winds...
Old 08-08-2011

CapitainMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdooress View Post
I need some help finding someone with something, and I thought this forum might be able to point me in the right direction... In a couple weeks I am going on Charter in Croatia. My vessel is a 50' monohull with a bow thruster. What I am trying to do is find a boat that has a bow thruster and a captain that would take me out and show me the nuances of using one doing a Mediterranean mooring, in San Diego or in the vicinity of SoCal.

I called Seaforth Marine and the member price to accomplish that is $500 for 2 hours, which is way out of my budget! Do you know anyone who might be able to accommodate my request? Of course I am willing to pay for time/expertise/gas etc. The boat does not have to a 50-footer, just something with a bow thruster, really.

I am a very experienced bareboat charter captain (plus a USCG Captain), but it has been about 10 years since I have been in the Med and had to perform this maneuver (and never with a bow thruster) in a tiny European harbor with dignity intact and I would like to practice.

Suggestions?
Mooring stern to appears to be a Mediterranean thing, so that you can sit and watch the world go by.

More and more people are going in bow first its easier, faster and voyeurs cannot peer into your saloon.

You look less of a twit if you foul up the mooring stern to.

But winter time is different moor stern to the quay.
jackdale likes this.

Capitain Mike
Mediterranean Sea
Cobra 850
8.68m
"Money won't buy you happiness but it will allow you to buy a yacht big enough to pull up along side it"

"Please God be kind to me your sea is so wide and my boat is so small"
Old 08-08-2011

sigmasailor is on a distinguished road
We've done the med mooring thing numerous times. If you do it the classical way (use your main anchor) you don't need a bow truster. The hard part is judging when to let go the anchor; when done correct you do not need to worry about your bow since the anchor will keep it in place. If you do it fast enough you do not need much reverse (avoiding prop walk) and brake the boat while setting the anchor. Try to keep enough momentum and speed to keep in control. Very often we did a reverse med moor. Even easier since controlling the boat forward with an anchor on the back makes it that much easier.

Eric

Hmm, said that before a year ago......

Last edited by sigmasailor; 08-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.