Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
It would make 10-11knots on a broad reach with 10knots of wind
Not to be offensive, but if this were possibly true (and waterline physics says it isn't unless you're planing) your boat would easily sail faster than pretty much every non-planing boat built under 40+' in the past, well... forever.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak01 View Post
u's guys, really keep us MacGregor owners laughing
Personally I don't have an issue with any boat maker. If a particular boat gets you on the water, you enjoy sailing it, it suits your venue and goals, etc... that's pretty much what it's all about.
Old 05-18-2010

luvoceanlife is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the feedback. I have thus expanded my search and found some other makes and models that might have better reputations. They include the 23 Kells, 22 tanzer, 22 Oday and 22 Catalina. The links are below if you want to take a look and let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.

For Sale 23' Kels Sailboat
Sailboat O-Day 22
Catalina 22 Sailboat. Complete.
1972 Tanzer 22 sailboat for sale in New York
Old 05-18-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I would say the biggest issue is the trailer rust looks a bit beyond a coat of paint

The cracked hull areas in one picture are of concern as to how much of the boat is affected by this

In looking at the other boats i can see your trying to start of with a low cost boat BUT you have to keep in mind that

"The cost of the Repiar has nothing to do with the cost of the boat "

While your labor can resolve a lot of things parts still cost money

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 05-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Not to be offensive, but if this were possibly true (and waterline physics says it isn't unless you're planing) your boat would easily sail faster than pretty much every non-planing boat built under 40+' in the past, well... forever.
On a broad reach-run in 10-12 knots of breeze and in the right sea state it would out run most boats up to mid 40 footers. At 13 knots it would bury the mast in the water and below 10 knots it was limited to hull speed. Do the math Puddlin, 300 sqft of sail area and 2300lbs displacement. The 24 also had a hull that was conducive to surfing if you could keep it upright.

No offense to MacGregor owners, I loved that boat and only sold it because I had to. Just stating the facts in my earlier comments.
Old 05-18-2010

BONESDILLIGAF is on a distinguished road
I have a Venture 21,
is it the best boat out there? absolutely not.
I bought it on the cheap, but the boat was sailing, and sound.
All I needed to do (personal choice really) was throw a coat of paint on it, and freshen up the bright-work.
Now i am not a trailer sailor, I keep it in the water on a lake.
I am an inexperienced sailor, so this is my starter boat.

If I had a choice, I think I would have bought a slightly bigger boat instead, maybe something with a larger cabin and head. Truth is I am mostly single handing the boat, with only my puppy for company because of the boat's size.

I can honestly tell you from my experience limited as it is, that you really need to look at the space on deck if this will be for a family. I can fit 4 people, but it is uncomfortable for long periods. A 23' in a bit larger, but just keep in mind that no one wants to be in the cabin...lol

I hope that helps you a bit. The people on here are really helpful, and there is a thread where people are volunteering their time to actually help buyers check out prospective boats. I am looking for a new boat as well, I want to move to sailing the Hudson river next.

I have been looking here Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale

there is a few boats on there in your price range.

here is one... 1979 ODAY sailboat for sale in Rhode Island

good luck

~BONES~

self taught, looking to learn more
Old 05-18-2010

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-18-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
A Newport 23 (aka Venture 23, aka Venture of Newport 23, aka Mcgregor Venture 23, aka... you get the idea) isn't a bad little boat. A cutter rig, decent accomodation, low cost. Tender? I dunno. A member here, Heinzir, has had some real adventures in his, and would probably be happy to give you some first hand info. Send him a pm.

Slideshow of pictures, photos, and videos, from webshots

Regarding the boat in your link, what is the asking price?
Old 05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
On a broad reach-run in 10-12 knots of breeze and in the right sea state it would out run most boats up to mid 40 footers. At 13 knots it would bury the mast in the water and below 10 knots it was limited to hull speed. Do the math Puddlin, 300 sqft of sail area and 2300lbs displacement. The 24 also had a hull that was conducive to surfing if you could keep it upright.

No offense to MacGregor owners, I loved that boat and only sold it because I had to. Just stating the facts in my earlier comments.

Let me copy and past my own post, the important part bolded for your pleasure! :

and waterline physics says it isn't unless you're planing

Done 17 kts in a Moore 24 (2050lbs, 123 sf main + 397 sf spin....) surfing. Large waves, 25 kts of breeze. Not 10 kts. Let's just say I'm still skeptical of your claim. But enough highjacking for the both of us. I think the OP found some good ideas that might be more worth his while.
Old 05-19-2010

So just to be clear the most of you feel the MacGregor is a bottom of the line, poorly made/rigged boat? Is it like the ford of boats (though I know this has changed a bit over the years)?