SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   1973 23ft venture MacGregor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/64745-1973-23ft-venture-macgregor.html)

luvoceanlife 05-15-2010 06:15 PM

1973 23ft venture MacGregor

Hello,

Could you give me your opinion on what I should pay for this boat? Below is the link. We stopped by and took a look at it. The trailer was just painted but a bit rusty. Its a bit warn as well overall but we don't have much money and are wanting to get on the water after 12 yrs of dreaming. Thank you for your help. Also, any thoughts on this models quality?

MacGregor Venture 23

Siamese 05-15-2010 07:38 PM

They should give it to you. And you should refuse.

puddinlegs 05-15-2010 07:48 PM

I kind of have to agree... there are a number of boats of this vintage that were both better built and designed. Find a Cal 20 or 25, a Santana 22, a Ranger 23, an older J-22, etc... You might find a Tanzer 22 which will be a better boat. Sometimes cheap is just cheap. It looks like a nice trailerable idea, but it's not going to impress you at all with it's sailing performance performance.

luvoceanlife 05-15-2010 07:50 PM

Hahaha. Can you elaborate?

Siamese 05-15-2010 08:03 PM

The Venture's on the very bottom of quality. There has been much discussion on this site and elsewhere with regard to the merits of sailing a poorly built boat. There's no definite answer as to whether you should do it.

I've owned my share of older fiberglass boats. They all need work...repair and upkeep. I'd much rather spend my time working on a boat that was built properly instead of one that was built to be the cheapest possible.

I guess it comes down to my taking sailing very seriously...the manufacturer ought to be as serious about building. Venture wasn't.

luvoceanlife 05-15-2010 08:13 PM

Thank you Siamese that was really helpful.

sh009 05-15-2010 08:19 PM

I am new to the site and sailing so I am just starting to learn. My first question as an inexperienced sailor looking at the pictures of the boat would be, how much would it cost to dispose of it?

To my eye the motor might be of value but the rest looks fairly bad. Some amount (a lot?) of work would be involved before you could sail it. Not a problem if you can and want to do the work, but it doesn't look in shape to sail this weekend if that is your goal.

I have to agree with Siamese, unless its free I would pass, and if free my inexperienced self would want it surveyed. The cost of a survey may be less than the cost of disposal.

It will be interesting what other on this site with experience have to say.

SJ34 05-16-2010 03:10 PM

I used to sail a Venture 24 by MacGregor. Macs were designed as an entry level boat to get families started. They were great for that but were generally built very light and didn't have many frills. Mine was over canvassed, under ballasted and had no provisions for reefing. The rigging was just one step above hardware store quality.

So the first thing I did was add a bigger rig, optimized the keel and rudder, beefed up the hull and deck where it counted. It weighed 2300lbs, had ~500lbs of ballast, over 300sqft of sail. It would make 10-11knots on a broad reach with 10knots of wind but that boat just about put my wife off of sailing forever...:eek:

Catalinas, SanJuans, Santanas etc were all in the same class but built much better. In this economy you should be able to find a pretty decent trailer sailer that won't need a ton of work for cheap. I recently bought a Cal25 with trailer for 1k.

sailor50 05-16-2010 03:31 PM

Ventures are VERY TENDER! You will scare your family and guests and find yourself sailing solo or not sailing at all

Silverstreak01 05-16-2010 07:59 PM

u's guys, really keep us MacGregor owners laughing:laugher