Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010

luvoceanlife is on a distinguished road
1973 23ft venture MacGregor

Hello,

Could you give me your opinion on what I should pay for this boat? Below is the link. We stopped by and took a look at it. The trailer was just painted but a bit rusty. Its a bit warn as well overall but we don't have much money and are wanting to get on the water after 12 yrs of dreaming. Thank you for your help. Also, any thoughts on this models quality?

MacGregor Venture 23
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
They should give it to you. And you should refuse.
Yoopers likes this.
Old 05-15-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
I kind of have to agree... there are a number of boats of this vintage that were both better built and designed. Find a Cal 20 or 25, a Santana 22, a Ranger 23, an older J-22, etc... You might find a Tanzer 22 which will be a better boat. Sometimes cheap is just cheap. It looks like a nice trailerable idea, but it's not going to impress you at all with it's sailing performance performance.
Old 05-15-2010

Hahaha. Can you elaborate?
Old 05-15-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
The Venture's on the very bottom of quality. There has been much discussion on this site and elsewhere with regard to the merits of sailing a poorly built boat. There's no definite answer as to whether you should do it.

I've owned my share of older fiberglass boats. They all need work...repair and upkeep. I'd much rather spend my time working on a boat that was built properly instead of one that was built to be the cheapest possible.

I guess it comes down to my taking sailing very seriously...the manufacturer ought to be as serious about building. Venture wasn't.
Old 05-15-2010

Thank you Siamese that was really helpful.
Old 05-15-2010
Sail Recruit

sh009 is on a distinguished road
I am new to the site and sailing so I am just starting to learn. My first question as an inexperienced sailor looking at the pictures of the boat would be, how much would it cost to dispose of it?

To my eye the motor might be of value but the rest looks fairly bad. Some amount (a lot?) of work would be involved before you could sail it. Not a problem if you can and want to do the work, but it doesn't look in shape to sail this weekend if that is your goal.

I have to agree with Siamese, unless its free I would pass, and if free my inexperienced self would want it surveyed. The cost of a survey may be less than the cost of disposal.

It will be interesting what other on this site with experience have to say.
Old 05-16-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
I used to sail a Venture 24 by MacGregor. Macs were designed as an entry level boat to get families started. They were great for that but were generally built very light and didn't have many frills. Mine was over canvassed, under ballasted and had no provisions for reefing. The rigging was just one step above hardware store quality.

So the first thing I did was add a bigger rig, optimized the keel and rudder, beefed up the hull and deck where it counted. It weighed 2300lbs, had ~500lbs of ballast, over 300sqft of sail. It would make 10-11knots on a broad reach with 10knots of wind but that boat just about put my wife off of sailing forever...

Catalinas, SanJuans, Santanas etc were all in the same class but built much better. In this economy you should be able to find a pretty decent trailer sailer that won't need a ton of work for cheap. I recently bought a Cal25 with trailer for 1k.
Old 05-16-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Ventures are VERY TENDER! You will scare your family and guests and find yourself sailing solo or not sailing at all
Old 05-16-2010

Silverstreak01 is on a distinguished road
u's guys, really keep us MacGregor owners laughing