Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010

TheMadchef is on a distinguished road
On a cellphone while docking?

Hi everyone,

ok I need to settle an argument... I will present a scenario and ask everyone to give their opinion of the situation.

I was out sailing with a close friend who is typically very responsible and reliable. He is a proffesional engineer and usually very practically minded and rational. We had sailed my 29 mirage together at least a dozen times and he proved to be a valuable and capable mate on all counts. He often handled the boat and proved to have a firm grasp of helmsmanship, however he had never docked the boat. On many occasions, he pointed out potential safety hazards that I, as captain had not even noticed...
So on a beautiful day after a great sail together, I offered to let him dock the boat, as I knew he could perform this task and wanted to give him a shot at it; I knew he had wanted to try this for some time. He has a 16 ft powerboat and has lots of experience docking it but never in a crowded harbour with slips and finger docks.
So I offer him the helm which he gladly accepts and I reiterate our SOP for docking. As we pass the breakwall and enter the harbour, his cell phone rings. He answers it and proceeds to enter into a rather involved conversation. I immeadiately told him to get off the phone and pay attention to the task at hand. He nods slightly but continues on the phone, pausing to tell me it's all good. By this time we are in the fairway and we are, in my opinion, on a course that will cut the turn starboard into my slip far too sharply, too quickly. I immeadiately relieve him from the helm and compensate course by widening the turn and slowing down.
Now he is back at his old job of linesman- and despite my protests continues on his phone. As we pull in, a fellow boater approaches to assist with the lines, as is the seamanly way. After a safe docking, the other boater proclaims aloud " what the heck is the linesman doing on a cellphone !??!... That's not safe!". Whereupon my linesman replies that " all you sailors are so uptight!". Now my companion has done plenty of sailing but does not own a sailboat but nonetheless has a great love of the sport and is a skilled crew member.
After several conversations he refused to accept that is unacceptable and contrary to all rational behaviour to use a cellphone while docking a sailboat in a busy harbour ( even for the first time)!
To this day he still argues that there's nothing wrong with talking on a cell while docking and that I'm just being anal- he says that any moron should be able to do two things at once.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Contrary to popular belief, humans do not multitask. Divided attention is lessened attention. Chameleons can look in two directions at once, humans cannot.
If the conversation was involved, or his primary focus, then he wasn't giving first concern to the task at hand. From a safety standpoint, the divided attention puts him at risk of an accident/injury should something unexpected "happen." And the prospects of having an accident with the docking procedure may or may not have gone up... since this was his first docking, I'm surprised at what he did. He must have felt it was just like his powerboat. Not good.
Old 05-16-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
As with driving, working or doing anything else while talking on a cell phone....an accident waiting to happen. He may be lucky, may be not. I choose to not be under the spell, as my luck ran out years ago. Drive or talk on the phone, but not both at the same time...

dave
Old 05-16-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Assuming this was a handheld phone. Divided attention and one handed. Why? Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 05-16-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
AWWWW leave the guy alone! get him a starched white shirt and a Rolex and park a Beamer near the slip to make him feel like he da man!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Float test that cell phone...

But then you may lose a friend if you do.

If he persisted in staying on the phone, take the helm, while telling him "SAFETY FIRST".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 05-16-2010

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
He wouldn't get back on my boat after that. He failed to obey an order concerning safety.
Old 05-16-2010
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
I must admit I would find that unacceptable and take over the helm. I would probably be polite but insistent. I know that coming into our marina requires full attention and the potential for a nasty accident is always there unless you give the exercise your full attention.

I rather like the idea of testing the water resistance of the cellphone!

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 05-16-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
A larger point would be that when on a boat you do what the Captain says. Period. If you're not willing to do that don't get on the boat.
Old 05-16-2010

calden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
A larger point would be that when on a boat you do what the Captain says. Period. If you're not willing to do that don't get on the boat.
My view exactly. It's not a question of who is right or wrong on a given issue, it's a point of procedure.

It's too bad his inattention didn't cause him to bump his arm and drop the phone in the water.

Carlos