Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010
Water Wannabe

LeatherneckPA is on a distinguished road
Trailer sailor help urgently needed

What was I thinking!!? I just won an auction on eBay for a 1978 Chrysler C-22 currently in a slip in St Petersburg, FL. For only $1025 I just couldn't pass her up.

So here's what I need. I need photos of your trailers for your swing-keel boats. I've got my eye on a 20' trailer for a decent price. It's got four bunkers on it and looks like it will accommodate a swing-keel nicely. But I need pics from you to be sure, and to show the yard what modifications I want made on it to trailer this baby home. Fortunately, I already own a pick-up with a BIG engine and a factory tow package.

Next I need advice from you all about how you tie yours down for trailering. Do you just use a 2" ratcheted tie down across amidships like on my LS-16 or is it more involved? What do you do with all the wires and rigging? The PO for my LS-16 just wrapped them to the mast with duct tape reversed sticky side out.

If you have pics and measurements for the cradles for the mast and boom that would be really great. I'm a real wiz with woodworking and certain I can craft something if I have pics and measurements.

What else folks? You know this game a lot better than I do. I'm planning to drive the trailer to St Pete over Memorial Day weekend, pick up the boat, and trailer it back home. Hey, as long as I'm there I might even take her out for a sail on the Bay.

I'm sure more questions will pop up but anything you have that resembles "New Boats for Dummies" would be really appreciated.

ETA: My e-mail address is leatherneckpa AT comcast DOT net
ETA: Specified craft is a Chrysler C-22, not a Catalina.

Last edited by LeatherneckPA; 05-17-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: adding e-mail address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2010

cspaniel is on a distinguished road
Sent you an email with 3 pics, you can see the trailer, and contraption to support the mast (bow pulpit and stern, nothing in the middle). Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
-Abraham
Old 05-17-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
As I recall, I used a 2" nylon strap to tie my C22 down to the trailer.

After the boat is loaded on the trailer, lower the swing keel so that it rests on a trailer supporting member. If the keel is retracted while being towed on a trailer, it will put too much stress on the step into the companionway, where the winch mechanism is attached, and might crack the fiberglass.

Take it slow and easy the first time you tow the boat. The boat's weight has to be distributed correctly when you load it on the trailer, and you might not get it quite right the first time.
Old 05-17-2010

calden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post

Take it slow and easy the first time you tow the boat. The boat's weight has to be distributed correctly when you load it on the trailer, and you might not get it quite right the first time.
Good point. Just in case you didn't know... Do NOT place the boat on the trailer so it is "balanced" and evenly distributed (I've seen this with several new trailer-sailors.) You NEED about 5-10% of the boat weight on the tongue, probably about ( guess here) 120-150 lbs. Without tongue weight you are risking losing control of the rear of your car and possible sudden fishtailing.

calden
Old 05-17-2010
Water Wannabe

LeatherneckPA is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info so far guys. Really appreciate it. Have trailered before, just not a boat, so I knew about the 10% tongue weight thing. But it never hurts to be reminded!
Old 05-17-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
You will need a trailer that is designed for the Chrystler 22 (not to be confused with other C22's like the Catalina 22). On my Catalina 22 trailer, the position of the boat for and aft makes a huge difference in tongue weight. Just 4" back and almost all weight is off the tongue. If your draft is too deep, you will also need an extendable tongue to get the trailer deep enough in the water.

I would imagine that another possibility is building a very solid wood cradle and putting it on a flat bed trailer. You would need to hire a crane or travel lift to do this, however.

Or, hire a mover. But that would cost more than the boat.

... or sell it and get one closer to home.
Old 05-22-2010

meboater is on a distinguished road
I think that a set up from another boat may well not work. Being just a little off could be a problem. I think that just a bit of uneven weight distribution would be magnified in a turn.

One thought: Make sure the stantions supporting the bunks can be easily moved. Get them very loose. move them out, meaning farther from the midline. Have the boat lifted out, and put on trailer, weight on the center, balanced by the lift straps. Move the bunks in to balance boat and secure. I would probaly have the crane lift the boat a teeny bit to move the bunks in a teeny bit beyond the initial contact point. This might work

Alternately, remove bunks. Have pipe the size of a boat stand welded, at a bit of an inward angle, X 4. Put the top portion of 4 boat stands into place, and adjust accordingly. I did this to adapt a Rodes 22 trailer for a Tanzer 22. Make sure the forward stop on the trailer (meaning where the winch is mounted.) is easily moved. With a bit of experimentation, this can be done without a crane. I did.

Sory, no pics, that boat and trailer are gone.

Good luck. be careful.
Old 05-23-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Check out here for more info
Chrysler Sailing Association Website

My Chrysler had a custom trailer. Never tied it down. The placement of the front catch (padded rubber V) stopped the boat as you winched it up. This placed the balance of the boat properly so that the boat would not move. Worse case scenario was the aft part of the boat could bounce if the road had pot holes.

You might have better luck at the Chrysler site with specific measurements on the trailers.

Good luck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.