Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Paradise Cove would even up the trip a bit between days. The only time I've gone from MDR to CI was years ago on my '86 Cat 36 to get the bottom done (blisters) at Frank Butler's yard there (big discount). Since I was going alone, I left about 7 AM and motored most of the way. Just set the autopilot and set back reading the paper and listening to the radio. It was an easy trip. The coolest part was when a bunch of Navy jets took off out of Port Hueneme right over my head. Quite an experience. It's been foggy up here in the mornings lately, so watch for that. Have fun and congrats on your new boat. I now own a '91 Cat 36 (divorce...long story) and they are really great boats. I hope you enjoy yours.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2010

montenido is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I just wanted to bring you up to date. I left Long Beach Harbor on Thursday, 5-27, at about 0800. I made an uneventful trip into the wind up to Paradise Cove in Malibu (7-8 hours). I saw some dolphins and several pilot whales on the way up. I anchored just outside the kelp in about 35 feet with a sand bottom.

There was a bit of a swell running so my "sheltered" anchorage wasn't. The wind came up in the afternoon and blew hard until after midnight. I got up several times to check the anchor and was treated to a beautiful full moon evening and early morning.

Pulled the hook and got underway by about 0630. Made it to Los Angeles County Line before wind started building on the nose. Almost 20 knots dead ahead when I made the Channel Islands Harbor. I found my new dock and cracked a beer.

The boat is beautiful and everything worked perfectly. I can't wait to get her out this week.

In my haste to get underway I forgot a few things like long pants (burrr), eating utensils, a pigtail for the generator, bait for catching dinner, and a toothbrush. Also, I was unable to recruit any crew, so I sailed solo (wearing my PFD, harness and tether).

Take care, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 05-30-2010

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Bill:

Congratulation.. Glad you hooked in... You owe us pictures, of course....

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 05-30-2010
Old Gringo

fjon is on a distinguished road
Well done, Montenido! And so it begins. I am beginning soon me own self. Fair winds.

There is more to life than increasing its speed. ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. ~ Samuel Clemmons