Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010
Sail/eat/repair/repeat

madcuddlar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to madcuddlar
for clarification purposes only

well, living within the means is already happening... basically we bought the boat and both of us became unemployed shortly thereafter. BEFORE anybody suggests the boat is a luxury we cant afford, let me say this is EXACTLY why I asked for everyones realistic views and opinions on what it takes to live and sail or sail to live and the boat JUST MIGHT BE an opportunity. SERIOUSLY.. catch fish, buy potatoes and rice and beans and canned goods, repair my boat and others on a sort of barter system lifestyle. The jobs are scarce, money is tight for many and at the risk of sounding/looking like some doomsayer, things are looking a little scary in a LOT of ways and places.. We live on very little already and greatly appreciate what little we do have ..blah blah blah ranting sorry.. ! I believe perspective is what I am asking to get from some... ? yeah relative things (cost of living) essentials.. like maybe wind_magic and AKscooter are speaking of. Marina living plugged into a dock is not my idea of sailing and experiencing what the world has to offer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2010

JimB517 is on a distinguished road
$100/day

My statement of $100/day was based on my own year long cruise with a family of 4. We actually spent $110/day - overall average over the entire year. We did not live a subsistence lifestyle. Which is why I suggested you could do it on $50. I met a couple with a nice boat that was doing it at $25. Things break, you need fuel, food, to stay in a marina at least once in a while, get a mooring, call home. Keep the dinghy and outboard running. Sail repairs. You will need entertainment from time to time. A beer or two. Laundry. Rental car, see the sights once in a while. Bus tokens.

If all you want to do is drift downwind and eat rice, and let the boat slowly deteroriate, you can do it for a whole lot less, and fair winds and following seas to you!
Old 05-20-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Much less than $100 a day

We (Admiral and I) have just returned from 6+ months cruising (Long Island Sound to Grenada to west coast of Florida). We spent an average of $1200 a month for all our costs. The boat is a Bristol 45.5 with complex systems but was in good shape to start. We had no really costly breakdowns and were very careful about shopping.

The size of our boat allowed us to stock up where things were cheap (eg Puerto Rico and St Martin) and spend little on food in places where things were costly (Bahamas best example). We never stayed in a marina and only took a mooring where we had to (eg in some places in BVI and USVI you have little to no choice). We do not eat a great deal of meat but did buy local fish. We did not skimp on buying beer, wine and rum. We ate out about once every 2 weeks at modest, local restaurants and did not rent cars. Local buses were very convenient and not very expensive. Overall we did not feel that we were experiencing any hardship.

Work may be more of a problem. The only place that seemed to have lots of cruisers working in regular jobs was St Martin (Dutch side). I don't know if they had work permits are not. In most places jobs are tight and the governments are rightfully trying to protect jobs for locals.

If you are planning to buy a second boat at some point I would get in on the east coast. Going from California to the Eastern Caribbean is a long, tough trip mostly to windward - hard on boat and crew. Lots of cheap boats in Florida.

BTW, look at a variety of destinations, the Bahamas seemed about as expensive a place as any we visited (except for ridiculous places like St Barts)

Good luck
Old 05-20-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the kind words! I believe you are in the California Delta which is an excellent place to learn to sail on a Morgan 24'. The wind comes off the Bay, around Mt. Tam, and does it's own whipping.

The fresh water collides with the salt water which makes hauling out cheaper because you can go for a weekend sail towards San Francisco to kill the critters on your hull .from the fresh water to the salt water.

The shipping channel is a good place to learn evasive tactics - 5 blasts means get the heck away from me! The river is so narrow.
Old 05-21-2010
Sail/eat/repair/repeat

madcuddlar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to madcuddlar
If all you want to do is drift downwind and eat rice, and let the boat slowly deteroriate, you can do it for a whole lot less, and fair winds and following seas to you!
Well.. as soon as I can find space in here to make that my motto.. I will. Although the wish for favorable weather is appreciated If I really do have to eat rice till it comes out my ears I would hope to keep the boat from deteriorating while doing it..
JimB.. you bring some well met info.. yes beer and entertainment (frugal) will be intermittent parts of "The Plan". Dont exactly want to live like a complete hermit. Bus tokens too.. also I am aware of naturally occurring problems with our outboard motor... and I use that term loosely as I got what I paid for ($200) and alot of blisters pulling on the starter rope.
Killarney.. ty...that is some obviously sound advice about the east coast boat buying opportunities and destinations when we are ready.. also the basic beating into the wind to get THERE from HERE is appreciated. These tidbits of knowledge are EXACTLY the things I was hoping to GLEAN from some hidden source of wisdom.. what an awesome site all replies have been happily digested and chewed upon..
Sailor you sound like a local.. maybe see you out there? Jody (Owl Harbor Marina- Isleton, Ca)