Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010
Sail/eat/repair/repeat

madcuddlar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to madcuddlar
just go --? find work to reprovision???

Ok.. So I have a boat. 24 foot Morgan. I have a crew LOL 20 year old daughter. When we are both skilled enough sailors, how feasible/realistic is it to JUST GO!!! I mean sail out of San Francisco head south down the west coast past baja california, thru the PANAMA Canal and into the bahamas. Can we possiblly hope to find odd jobs to support our food and boat maintenance bills. Does anyone do this presently. I DO REALIZE THE ENORMITY OF THE QUESTION, it is pretty general.. but I have to start somewhere.. at THIS point I MAY be only naive
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2010
On My Way Outta Here.....

Irony17 is on a distinguished road
I say you and your daughter should just go, that is once you both are skilled enough to do it, heck what have you got to lose. LOL ROLMAO! LOVE YA.
-UR DAUGHTER.
Old 05-19-2010
FNG

Gorilla is on a distinguished road
I haven't tried, but I'd bet jobs are pretty tough to find - just thinking about how many people come up to the US looking for work I can't imagine there's a big shortage of able bodies south of the border. Maybe if you have some very desireable skill that is regularly underserved in ports...
Old 05-19-2010
Sail/eat/repair/repeat

skils (special or not)

Well, I am a certified welder. And have been in the construction trade for 15+ years as well as a short successful career as a handyman so I have a muscle above the shoulders that passes as a brain occasionally. I also am not afraid to sweat and get dirty if thats what it takes. My daughter is also wise for her age and would pull her weight. Does pretty much everyone survive off of some retirement fund or big savings account out there... You cant all be novelists and Lottery winners can you??? Kind of a Gypsy/vagabond lifestyle - sure. What I want to know is... is anybody doing it or do you have to have a money tree growing in a home port?
Old 05-19-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about the Bahamas, but a lot of countries won't allow visitors to work since you would be taking jobs from a local unless you have a unique skill.

Many cruisers that I know work in the states for a year or two to build a kitty and then cruise for a little while on it and then come back again to work some more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2010

bellefonte is on a distinguished road
Yes, work visas are a big deal. Do not work outside of the US without permission from the govt of the land you are working in. You can go to jail for that in some spots.

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
Old 05-19-2010
Sail/eat/repair/repeat

I read in an earlier post ( this site not sure what title was) that diesel marine mechanic and dentist were positions in demand in foreign ports. Would this qualify as unique skills I wonder. Any suggestions as to a short list of UNIQUE SKILLS I might acquire in the next few years to make me less of a liability and more like a travelling asset ?
Old 05-19-2010

JimB517 is on a distinguished road
earn money here

Earn money now. Cut everything unecessary from your life (cable TV, cell phone, newer car, going to movies, even boat). Save. Eliminate all debt. Walk a lot, fix things yourself. Wear old clothes.

You'll need about $100/day. I've met people getting by on $50 (for two).

If you start an austere life style now it will be much easier to live it once you are out there.

Shouldn't be hard to save $30K in a couple of years. That will take you a long way.
Old 05-19-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Mad,

I wouldn't put 2 persons in a Morgan 24' for such an adventure. What is your departure point?
Old 05-19-2010

AKscooter is on a distinguished road
When I read these posts with folks giving advice I politely nod my head and then have a good chuckle. My personal rule of thumbis ......I can live as cheap as the poorest (within reason) person whose country I am visiting. When Frommer was touting traveling in Europe on a few bucks a day I easily beat his estimate by at least one half. Dude, I go to hawaii several times a year for vacation and I doubt in a week I spend 200 including food, a place to stay and food. (I do not eat crap, nor stay in a fleabag hotel or sleep on a beach) 50 clams a day per person and you have a place to stay???? bwhahahhaha.....all I can say is sucka!!! Please, if you are willing to do things the way the locals do it (again, within reason) you can travel a long time on a grand. I have, I do, and I have a great time. But to each their own. I also am healthier than most (thank god) on no meds, and do not eat at the "local" tourist dives. I may sip a beer there and listen to music but again I am not there for the adult disneyland.