SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need Slip in SF Bay Area for June! Help!!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/64875-need-slip-sf-bay-area-june-help.html)

Hays 05-20-2010 01:55 AM

Need Slip in SF Bay Area for June! Help!!!

(Note to moderators: I'm still learning my way around this forum. I mean no foul in this post, and if I've posted erroneously or in the wrong section, I will not be offended at deletion...just let me know?)

Hey guys...I know I'm new around here, and haven't been able to contribute much - been doing a lot of reading though! A few of you caught my first posts about the Cal 25 I just picked up, and boy is she looking beautiful since I got her. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I volunteer with the Sea Scouts of Sacramento ( Sacramento Delta Youth Maritime Association ), and this boat is intended for Sea Scout use in the SF Bay.

My problem - right now, the boat's in Berkeley Marina. I have the slip till May 31st, but after that I'm lost! I can't afford another month in Berkeley, and really can't afford anything else for at least a few weeks. So, I know it's a SUPER lot to ask, but if anybody happens to know of a way that I can get a free/super cheap dock for the month of June for a Cal 25, please let me know! Otherwise, this great new boat is pretty much going up to the first takers, since we don't have a way to keep her.

Help?

KeelHaulin 05-20-2010 02:26 AM

Well, the city of Berkeley is not very friendly to the Sea Scouts (or scouting in general). You might try calling Marina Bay in Richmond and asking for a donated slip. They have plenty of empty berths so they might be looking of a "tax deduction" :)

Otherwise; you could try mooring it on Richardson Bay; but I don't know what the legalities are on it. You definitely would not want to have her sink or get washed ashore and be liable for wreck removal. Another possibility would be asking to haul/store it at the Martinez Sea Scout base; until you could find a location for donated berthing.

Hays 05-20-2010 10:51 AM

Some great ideas! I'll definitely look into all of those. Thanks a lot!

aqwert5 05-20-2010 12:29 PM

I know it's a long shot but you could advertise in Craig's list and give somebody use of the boat for the cost of the slip.

svHyLyte 05-20-2010 07:29 PM

I suggest you contact the Richmond Yacht Club in Brickyard Cove and explain your situation to the Club secretary and harbor master. SO long as you only need accomodation for a month and the boat is so small, they may be able to help. And many members are alos residents at Brickyard Cove and I suspect there is at least one unused dock that could handle a Cal 25. See Richmond Yacht Club -

s/v HyLyte

Hays 05-22-2010 02:54 AM

Just wanted to pop in here and let you guys know:

I found a home for my boat for June! Thank you very much to Glen Cove Marina in Vallejo, CA for volunteering an excellent slip so that we can hold onto this boat and give us a bit more time to find a permanent home for her. We look forward to moving her there Memorial Day Weekend, and very much appreciate the donation from Glen Cove Marina.

KeelHaulin 05-22-2010 05:00 AM

Try and hit the entrance at slack tide; Glen Cove sits right in the Carquinez Strait, and when the current is moving it can be a difficult place to go in. Hopefully you will have a flood going up turning to slack in the afternoon.

Great job Glen Cove Marina!!!

Hays 05-22-2010 01:19 PM

I will definitely keep that in mind...thanks!

JiffyLube 05-23-2010 12:32 AM

Why do you think the city if Berkely is not very friendly to scouting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeelHaulin (Post 605402)
Well, the city of Berkeley is not very friendly to the Sea Scouts (or scouting in general). You might try calling Marina Bay in Richmond and asking for a donated slip. They have plenty of empty berths so they might be looking of a "tax deduction" :)

Otherwise; you could try mooring it on Richardson Bay; but I don't know what the legalities are on it. You definitely would not want to have her sink or get washed ashore and be liable for wreck removal. Another possibility would be asking to haul/store it at the Martinez Sea Scout base; until you could find a location for donated berthing.

Hays 05-23-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiffyLube (Post 606201)
Why do you think the city if Berkely is not very friendly to scouting?

I know this question wasn't directed towards me, but when I was at the marina last week, I was told about a very unfortunate Sea Scouts experience the Berkeley marina had been privy too... I don't know any facts, but what I was told involved a Scout leader engaging in lascivious acts with children. I imagine this might've left a bad taste in the mouth, so to speak.